Clutch issue...whats wrong? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

Clutch issue...whats wrong?

I just got home from work and when I pulled off the highway I was trying to downshift and it was almost impossible. It seems that the when I pull the clutch lever, it does not want to engage the clutch all the way. When I am stopped, the bike idles in 1st gear, but it engages very quickly when I release the clutch level (only have to move 1/2 a centimeter before it grabs).

I am not the best mechanic, but I have friends that can help..what is wrong? Is this an easy fix? Is the clutch fried? Please help. its a 2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 3:59 pm
Rider Journeyman

Take a look at the little dial near the base of the clutch lever. Now push the lever out, it should move out about an inch. Rotate the dial two notches and then try out the clutch.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 4:11 pm Thread Starter

Did that..did not do much...but I did check the fluid level (should have done that first)...it should be pretty full correct? Its not...

So, what kind of fluid do I get? Can I get it at any autoparts store? Also what level do I fill it up to?

Just read the cover plate dot4...I am going to fill it and see if a puddle forms - if I have a leak- if I do, its under warranty.

Last edited by fitsman; Oct 11th, 2006 at 4:32 pm.

post #4 of 21 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 4:17 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitsman
I just got home from work and when I pulled off the highway I was trying to downshift and it was almost impossible. It seems that the when I pull the clutch lever, it does not want to engage the clutch all the way. When I am stopped, the bike idles in 1st gear, but it engages very quickly when I release the clutch level (only have to move 1/2 a centimeter before it grabs).

I am not the best mechanic, but I have friends that can help..what is wrong? Is this an easy fix? Is the clutch fried? Please help. its a 2005
Sounds like the clutch slave cylinder may have failed, which is a somewhat common issue on the LT. It's covered under warranty, and if it fouled the clutch plates (doesn't always happen) they should replace those, too. Get it to your dealer and have them take care of it.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #5 of 21 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

Well I refilled the clutch rode it around the block twice...still is not right. Does it take time to refill the line? Do I have an air bubble in there?

I think I just have to bite the bullet and bring it to the dealer...1 hour away...in the trailer..what a pain.
post #6 of 21 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 9:23 pm

Brian, I guess the NYC "CCR", stop & go, ST. JUDE run, was to much for your 05 slave, last Saturday. Along with all the 3-5 MPH riding along the 46 mile route, an ambient of 68 degrees, my 2000 engine temp went a couple of needle width's into the red zone, which is a first in 50K miles for me. I thought the fans had cut out, but when we turned onto the West Side Drive, a little breeze helped the fans out.

I hope the guys at Canton (if that is were you are going) will fix you up quickly! Maybe you can talk Mac into drilling the weep hole!!

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #7 of 21 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

I was thinking the same thing. I also did the ride the day before..not as long, but lots of stop and go as well.

What is the weep hole?
post #8 of 21 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 5:26 am

better check to see if canton cycles is still doing warranty work...might as well bring it to max bmw in new hampshire
post #9 of 21 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 7:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny
better check to see if canton cycles is still doing warranty work...might as well bring it to max bmw in new hampshire
My hope is the Gengras can pick it up. From what I heard last time I was in Canton, Nov 1st was the sales date, but maybe they are certified to do the work now. They are heck of alot closer than Canton. From what I heard for the sales guy at Canton they will continue to be certified mechanics for BMW, just not sales.
post #10 of 21 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 8:03 am

im not sure they will be able to do warrenty work
post #11 of 21 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 8:13 am

Sounds like another '05 with a leaking slave cylinder.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #12 of 21 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook

Good Luck,
Kevin
It is really amazing that BMW has known of the slave cylinder problem for years now, and now we have '05 LTs having a horrible problem with them. You would think they could have improved something, but instead it seems they got much worse!.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 21 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
It is really amazing that BMW has known of the slave cylinder problem for years now, and now we have '05 LTs having a horrible problem with them. You would think they could have improved something, but instead it seems they got much worse!.
It certainly doesn't give those of us with climbing mileage any reason to install a new SC as a preemptive measure!

We seem to have an idea at the failure rate of FDs - 4 to 5%... Does anyone have a clue as to the failure rate of slave cylinders?

David, you used to recommend replacement at or before 60,000? Do you still hold to that?

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #14 of 21 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
It certainly doesn't give those of us with climbing mileage any reason to install a new SC as a preemptive measure!

We seem to have an idea at the failure rate of FDs - 4 to 5%... Does anyone have a clue as to the failure rate of slave cylinders?

David, you used to recommend replacement at or before 60,000? Do you still hold to that?
My recommendation is to drill the drain hole anytime one can work it out. If over 40,000 when this is done, replace the cylinder at the same time. I still say if one makes it to 60,000 with no problems, replace it!

If I was to get an LT again, new or used, I would drill the drain hole at my earliest convenient time. Probably within 3-4 weeks of getting the bike.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #15 of 21 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
I don't have any idea what the failure rate is but I'm pretty sure that it is higher than most people would realize. We took four out to drill the weep hole and three of them were leaking. I'm sure that age and mileage will enter into the equation but the '05 bikes seem to have it worse than anyone else with low mileage failures.

I'd bet that by 100,000 miles the failure rate is essentially 100% but some of those won't actually have any symptoms yet.

I have the weep hole in my bike and if the slave cylinder goes again I'll just replace it and keep riding. I'm not too worried about it. I know that it won't strand me and I can always get the bike into gear and ride home. My concern before was the potential to contaminate the clutch and be stranded on the side of the road......that and the cost of the repair and labor involved.

Does anyone have an '05 slave cylinder that is no good? I'd be interested in getting one to see if the seal was changed either in design or materials.

Thanks,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #16 of 21 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Clutch Slave Weep Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitsman
I was thinking the same thing. I also did the ride the day before..not as long, but lots of stop and go as well.

What is the weep hole?
Look up Kevin Cook's Sept 25 2006 post at 8:51 AM. He did an excellent professional write up of how to install the weep hole that keeps the slave fluid from getting to the clutch disk, if the slave starts to leak. B.B.

Attached Files Slave Cylinder Repair.pdf (1.25 MB, 249 views)
post #17 of 21 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 1:56 am

Angry Clutch & CS - disapoitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook

Good Luck,
Kevin
Seems to me that not only in USA the problem exists. Down here in South Africa we have the some issues. I plan a trip on my Lt 2005,now 6500kms, and send it for a "check up". Only to have the news that the clutch was finished and need to be replaced. Parts were orded, but not the CS. The technician didn't realize that the problem come from the collapsed CS. Three weeks later and no bike. Must wait another week before I put some power between my legs again.http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/newreply...eply&p=115190#
Frownhttp://www.bmwlt.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=115190#
Mad
post #18 of 21 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Happened to me

I had the same thing happen to me on a trip down south last summer. It was the slave unit and it was under warranty. When the dealer replaced it I had him drill weep hole so if it goes again it won't ruin my clutch. As told to me from this site.

[COLOR=Red][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=2]Ron
post #19 of 21 Old Oct 26th, 2007, 9:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
My recommendation is to drill the drain hole anytime one can work it out. If over 40,000 when this is done, replace the cylinder at the same time. I still say if one makes it to 60,000 with no problems, replace it!

If I was to get an LT again, new or used, I would drill the drain hole at my earliest convenient time. Probably within 3-4 weeks of getting the bike.

David,

A replacement Slave Cylinder comes with a little "dab" of clear/white grease inside of it (where the clutch acutator rod contact it). It looks minimal, so many have added grease, but I wonder if that could exaserbate the situation and actually speed failure. What are your thoughts?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #20 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
David,

A replacement Slave Cylinder comes with a little "dab" of clear/white grease inside of it (where the clutch acutator rod contact it). It looks minimal, so many have added grease, but I wonder if that could exaserbate the situation and actually speed failure. What are your thoughts?
The grease is for the little ball thrust bearing in the piston. If that bearing gets tight or seizes the piston spins with the actuation rod, and that destroys the cylinder immediately.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #21 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2007, 8:56 pm

To bad these guys http://www.evoluzione.net/photos/99030.jpg don't make an after market slave for the LT. They started making them for KTM 950 and have made the problem go away, and they have a 10yr warranty!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in