"Brown Wire" Help needed QUICKLY - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

"Brown Wire" Help needed QUICKLY

OK, I have the '04 in the shop for some maintenance and an ABS fault check. It has Certified Pre Owned actual BMW extended warranty thru '09 (cry in your soup!).

1. what is the diagnostic question I want to ask to find out if snipping the "brown wire" is an option for throttle responsiveness on cold days?

2. if I do this, does this screw me on warranty stuff, so should I avoid this anyway?

3. if a tree falls on a goldwing and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
OK, I have the '04 in the shop for some maintenance and an ABS fault check. It has Certified Pre Owned actual BMW extended warranty thru '09 (cry in your soup!).

1. what is the diagnostic question I want to ask to find out if snipping the "brown wire" is an option for throttle responsiveness on cold days?

2. if I do this, does this screw me on warranty stuff, so should I avoid this anyway?

3. if a tree falls on a goldwing and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Pete
1. No -- cutting the brown wire enables a second fuel injection/ignition timing map in the Motronic computer that eliminates a *hot* whether stumble issue.

2. No -- BMW had a service bulletin out discussing the replacement of the older Moronics and reasons to cut the brown wire.

3. Of course it makes a sound -- the real question is: Does anyone shed a tear?

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Oct 11th, 2006 at 4:43 pm.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

is it an issue of "if there's a brown wire I can cut it" or do I need to verify additional info first?

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 4:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
is it an issue of "if there's a brown wire I can cut it" or do I need to verify additional info first?
Your '04 should be good-to-go, Pete.By '04, the newer Moronic was installed by the factory, and the harness contained the brown wire (replaced the older "catalytic converter code" plug under the trunk). So, no need to have the dealer first verify which Moronic you have. If you have noticed a stumble at low rpm, when the air temp is above 86F, and you've applied load on the engine (e.g., whacked the throttle open to pull away from a stop briskly), feel free to snip away.

BMW cautions that you should continue to use premium fuel, since snipping the wire eliminates ignition retarding in a low rpm, high temp, high load corner of the fuel/ignition map -- retarding put there to eliminate the possibility of detonation on lousy quality fuel. If you're not seeing these conditions, or you have at least decent quality fuel, you can go to a low octane. FWIW, I continue to use 93, just so I don't have to expend any mental energy evaluating whether the gas I currently have in the tank is "ok" for the conditions I'll encounter before the next fill-up.

HTH,

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 10:26 pm Thread Starter

awwww, I LOVE you guys...not in a "let's go curtain shopping" way, but, well, you know...

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in