What is the diff? LT, LTE, LTC, LTI ??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

What is the diff? LT, LTE, LTC, LTI ???

Is there any place I can find a description of different types of K1200 LT

Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer, 2003
BMW K1200LTC, 2000
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

----------------
Mazda 323, 2000
Dodge Durango Limited, 5,7 Hemi, 2004
----------------
Honda CB500 K4, 1976 (sold 1979)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Björn Tryggvason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 6:19 pm

Early on there were 3 levels ...
Standard .. Icon .. Custom

* Standard (LT) had no heated seat, No chrome, No CD player, No computer

** Icon (LTI) was same as standard, But included CD player & Computer

*** Custom (LTC) had all the above & Chrome trimmings + heated seats

Later came the Exedus (LTE), All the custom fittings, + factory GPS & Comm system.

This is of course from my feeble memory

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #3 of 8 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 6:52 pm

A Brief History of the "New" LT

In '99 when the "new" LT was introduced, the LT came in three dresses:

LT Standard. (No CD, no heat, no chrome, etc.)
LTi (Icon). (No chrome, no heated seat, but with heated grips, and 6CD and tape player in the oddments box)
LTc (Custom) (Chrome trim, cushy seat, heated grips and seat, 6CD and tape player. Intercoms were offered as an option and were ordered and paid for by many riders but the units didn't show up for months and then didn't work. A plug 'n cool ice box for the top box was offered but never showed up.)

The LTc sat about an inch higher than the Icon due to the seat. List prices were about 1K difference for each model.

Dunlop tires rubbed and needed shims in '99 and '00, Bridgstones wore out early but ran well on wet, and Metzlers became the tire most frequently used. Some have played with Avons and some have fooled around with mixed sets. By '02 most LT riders fought with dealers to pump up the sneakers to 42/48 making 14K an expected tire life. This beat goes on.

I think it was '01 or '02 when the Standard and Icon disappeared. The LTE (Exodus) was closest to the original Custom and second generation intercom systems didn't work much better than the early models. Cushy seats were an option from '00 on I think, as was a lowering kit which actually required plastic removal from the side panels. Cup holders appeared around '01 for a small fortune enlisting long and sometimes humorous threads on this site. No model was offered without chrome trim after '00. 3-5% of the '99-'03s, regardless of trim level, had rear bearing failures around the 30K mark. This abated in '04 and is less frequently reported now.

Move to '04 and there was one LT (with power brakes?) with options or packages that could be added by the country importing the LT, the individual dealers, or the buyer. The basic configuration for the LT in the US, for instance, is different from the model sold in England, or Canada for that matter.

Examples: the warranty period is a matter of the country importing the bikes. Our friends in Europe consider us fortunate to have a three year honeymoon. Our Canadian friends had (still have?) unlimited miles for their period of coverage which, if I recall correctly, is less than ours. There were few '05 LTs imported into the US without the "optional" convenience package. By '05, the taller US windshield which was actually standard in '99, had become an option and the short or Euro shield which was a special order in '99 had become the most frequently supplied unit.

Around '02 or '03 the tape player was replaced by a CD in the oddments box.
Add the HP boost, the lower sit, integrated brakes, rake adjustment, and the power centerstand in late '04 as an '05 model and you are pretty much up to date. The optional Nav and communication systems have evolved over the past couple of years to their present level. Few owners have been happy with CB application from '99-present.

I may be off a year here or there but this will give you a sense of the history of the "new" LT. Where I've gotten details wrong or have neglected something, virtual voices will appear to set me straight.

Wayne 'Doc' Edkin, Blossvale, NY
CCR Director, (Chairman: 2014, 2015, 2017)
'16 R1200RLC, '09R1200GSw/'16 CSM Sidecar, '05 K1200LTw/'09 Hannigan Sidecar, '74 R60/6 { '99 K1200LT (traded @ 62K}.

2000 First LT Gathering at The Gondola. CCRs: 2003 Gatlinburg, 2004 Breckenridge, 2005 Jackson Hole, 2006 Braselton, 2007 Osage Beach, 2008 Midway, 2010 Killington, 2011 Boise, 2012 Duluth, 2013 Bend, 2014 Chattanooga, and finally 2015 Coeur d'Alene.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Thank you guys

As expected - you know it all.

bt

Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer, 2003
BMW K1200LTC, 2000

----------------
Mazda 323, 2000
Dodge Durango Limited, 5,7 Hemi, 2004
----------------
Honda CB500 K4, 1976 (sold 1979)

Björn Tryggvason
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 1:37 am

BMW has gone the way of HD and others. Everything is now ala carte. My '03 LTC has items that you pay extra individually for now. Was a better deal for the buyer when options were bundled.

Gary T
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 4:26 am

I wonder if this is true of models sold this side of the water.
My '99 has Heated grips, seat and backrest
No chrome trim
No CD changer

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #7 of 8 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 7:04 am

Greetings.

Options and factory fitted equipment sure is all over the place. Here in Australia, I recently picked up a '99 LT. It has the 6 cd stacker in the right pannier, cd based GPS in the left pannier, seat heat front and rear, handle bar heat, tape player beneath the stingray with radio and trip computer. I think the only thing I missed out on is the intercom. We also primarily get the euro cut low screen.

We obviously get a different package here in Australia.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 2:29 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Trust me, you didn't miss out on the factory intercom. It was pretty much useless.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in