First long ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:29 am Thread Starter

First long ride

I just completed my first long ride with my '05 LT. I went on a tour of approximately 1600 miles and I have a few thoughts and questions. First, the bike ran great in cold weather and hot, dry conditions and pouring rain. But, I have come to the conclusion that the stock seat has got to go. What is the general consensus as to what aftermarket seat is best ? Do you just get the front seat and not the back, will it match in color and look of the back seat if you just get the front and is it difficult to install with the seat heater ? Also, I've come to the conclusion that the windshield could be better. I, currently, have two, the sport shield and the tall shield. The tall is too tall and the sport is too short. Does BMW make a medium shield ? The sport shield is a good shield, but it needs two to three more inches. What is the general consensus of which aftermarket shield is best and what size ? I really don't like back pressure, so that is a consideration. Has anyone tried the V Stream shield ? Anyway, I have 2400 miles on my new bike and if I could solve these two issues, it would make riding longer distances that much more pleasurable. Also, I have one more question, when accelerating, I notice two kinds of strange noises. One sounds almost like knocking or pinging. Not real loud and it seems to go away once you reach your desired speed. I always use premium gas. The other sound happens in decel and accel and it is almost like a valve tap. It is very faint, but it is there. Could this just be the sound of the exhaust ? I asked my dealer about these noises and they said thats just the way these engines sound. Does that sound correct and do all LT's sound this way ? Again, the bike performed flawlessly during my trip and I had a great time riding it. Any help on the above questions would be great. Thanks.

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 12:42 pm

Glad to see you had a great ride. Can not help you re the seat and WS as I was somewhat surprised to find the stock seat more comfortable than I had anticipated. Had already prepared myself for the ~$600.00 or so seat change. Ours has the tall windshield and at 5'10'' am satisfied with that as well.

Before you spend big bucks on the seat you may want to look at this: http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$HGAOT2QAAAXQDTZENUFZPQWPERWR JPX0?UCIDs=820323%7C820415&PRID=1119100 Also a German friend of mine suggests getting a wool fleece pad.

And this for the windsheild http://ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2530

I can not attest to either but have seen them advertised.

No unusual noises yet only have 400 miles on it and the longest run was the day I got it ~170 miles.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 1:29 pm

Thumbs up

We have a 99 LTI and the stock seats were even worse. After a hour and a half it was time to get off the bike. We decided to invest in a Russell Day Long Seat. Only have about 100 miles on it, so far but I have no complaints. I did a drive-in at Russell since we were there for an Air Show. The people were great and very knowledgeable. http://www.day-long.com/index.htm The materials they used are excellant...we did the vinyl covering.

We had both seats done since if the SO can't go any further then you aren't either. Oh, the armrests...SO suffers from PSS.

See pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0997 (1704 x 1278).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	7401  

'Big B"
BMWMOA #127497
1999 K1200LTI "Canyon Red"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 2:53 pm

do a forum search for "windshield" and/or "seat" and you'll find a whole can of worms.

I can just throw my 2 cents in:
I took the plunge and ordered a Cee Bailey #2 -2. Can't explain how much I love it. Works great when up, works better when down, looks sportier, functions better at night... if you're really interested in ergo improvements, look into Cee Bailey.
I put a comprehensive review in this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14612
enjoy the ride!
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 2:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlack1045
We have a 99 LTI and the stock seats were even worse. After a hour and a half it was time to get off the bike. We decided to invest in a Russell Day Long Seat.
I'll second the Day-Long. Great seat.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #6 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 3:52 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal
..... I have come to the conclusion that the stock seat has got to go. What is the general consensus as to what aftermarket seat is best ? Do you just get the front seat and not the back, will it match in color and look of the back seat if you just get the front and is it difficult to install with the seat heater ? ....Roy
Howdy Roy,

Please don't take offense, but "general consensus",

HERE is a survey of seats done a short while back. From the results and the related post comments there really isn't any consensus.

IMO, biased as it is, if you are a BIG person...over 220 then go with the Russell because it's the only one that has springs which can handle the extra weight for a longer period of time. If the weight is less, then they're all practicable.

I have met and like Rick Mayer and will probably have my K-R done by him. Very personable and takes well deserved pride in his work...and a BMW IBA rider as well.

The seat heater is essentially a thin electric blanket that can be peeled off the stock foam and re-glued on the new seat foam.

I had the pillion done because, as has been said, the range limit is set by the one that refuses to keep going. With the custom saddle my "pillion goddess" has done 970 miles in a day and no complaints.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #7 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal
What is the general consensus as to what aftermarket seat is best ?

Also, I've come to the conclusion that the windshield could be better.

Roy

Hi Roy,
First, Congrats on your ride. I'm sure it will be only the first one of many.

On your questions, I guess there is no consensus at all... sorry

You will ear many different opinions and the best you can do is check the 2 most commons and see if it fit you. So there is my $0.02:

Seats: I'm using Rick Mayer since I had my first 1999 LT. For my weight and ridding position I guess that's a great seat. 6.1 with 180pounds.
I can ride easy for 700 miles/day and if it is need, I can go a 1000 miles and still good on the seat.
I did both seats since the wife also loves the confort.
Rick Mayer makes a great seat and it matches very well with the bike.
You can see the pictures from my old 1999 here:
http://www.viajareua.com/trips/moto/seat.htm
the design changed a little bit now, for better. BTW, my 1999 was the firt K1200LT Rick Mayer made a seat for. Great person. A little overwelmed with his orders, but a great person with a great seat.

Windsheild
I have try almost every one in the market. Current I have two:
Cee Bailey #2 -2 and VStream.
It's hard to say which one is better, but neither one is perfect expecially for 2 up. But they are far better then the stock ones.
I like to look over the WS.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #8 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 5:03 pm

seat

I Have A 05 K1200lt And I Replaced The Seat With A Bill Mayer Saddle. I Had A Corbin Before On My R 1200 C It Was Great But The Corbin I Have Tried On A 1200 Lt Was Not Comfortable At All. The Bill Mayer Seat I Had Made With The Hardest Foam And Used The Stock Colors. I Have Put Approx 12000 Miles On The Seat And Each Time It Gets More Comfortable. I Have Not Tried Some Of The Other Seats Suggested But I Like The Stock Look Of The Mayer Seat. There Are No Seams Or Stitches That To Me Look Tacky. Good Luck And Enjoy The Bike, I Am Sure You Will Find Many More Things That Will Enhance The Ride As You Go.

PAUL HERMAN
TROPHY CLUB TX
WORK 817-491-2800
CELL 817-403-3648

post #9 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 6:28 pm

I've found that I can ride a couple hundred extra miles with my homeade beaded seat cover on the stock seat. I will probably get an aftermarket seat soon though because I start getting sore around the 3-400 mile range. I had the euro shield, which buffeted me too much. I replaced it with a Cee Bailey #2 -4 w/o wings and I love it. I'm 5'9".

Round Mountain, Nevada

Current Bikes

2002 BMW K1200LTE (Silver)
2005 Triumph Speed Triple
2000 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
2008 KTM 530 Exc-r
1995 Suzuki DR350S
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 7:11 pm

Find someone who has the seat local to you and see if they will let you sit on it for a while. Maybe in a garage with a book.

The stock 05 seat is the worse seat I have ever experienced on a bike. My wife feels the stock seat was the best for her.
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 8:04 pm
Gold Supporter

I am sure you are going to hear lots of recommendations on seats. I replaced my 06 seat with the Corbin (both seats and backrests) and wouldn't have anything else. Heaters just plug right into the sockets like the factory.

I have read on this list somewhere about cutting off the tops of windshields with great success. You might consider how short you really want your tall windshield to be then leave an inch more to be sure. Test ride it then cut off the rest if you need to. Cheap solution to your problem.

The noise is strange. Since you said you use premium fuel that discounts that, but maybe it is running too lean / rich? I've had two LT's (05 & current 06) and neither of them made any sound when throttled up or down.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #12 of 15 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I, actually, think I've got a pretty good handle now on how I'm going to change the seat and shield. However, the engine noises are still baffling me. The ticking, similar to a valve tap, which may be coming from the exhaust and the other noise which is more prominent on acceleration, but is faintly there on deceleration. A better description than the one I previously gave, is that it sounds like a gurgling sound more than knocking or pinging. Anyone shed any light on these two noises ?

Thanks, Roy
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 3:34 pm

I have an "02" and I replaced the seat after 20k miles with a Rick Mayer. I leave for NC mountains this weekend and will know more about the seat after the trip but early call is Iam happy.I had the rear only covered to match. My SO is happy with the rear as stock. As for windshield I have a Euro fo summer short trips and town riding but use a Cee Bailey #2 -2 w/ wings and love it. Hope this helps!
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 5:24 pm

I too have the complete Corbin set. One warning if you legs are short, you will not like it.

Corbins are also the hardest. If you do not like firm seats, don't go to corbin.

I am good for about 1000 miles on it. Stock seat 300 miles.
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
With the custom saddle my "pillion goddess" has done 970 miles in a day and no complaints.
Now that's funny...

I seem to be gettin' one of those "goddesses" myself... and she complains about the stock seat (in my ear no less... damn intercom anyway).

So I am also in the market to make "Her Highness" a bit more comfy... This upcomming ride to Fort Bragg will make or break my pocketbook re: a new seat. And I so wanted a new set of ___________ (insert item here).

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in