Dumb Question... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Dumb Question...

Ok, I just got the PIAA brackets (EZY Mount) for the k1200lt. Bought them off of ebay and needless to say there are no instructions. I have an idea of where they mount but want to do this right. Does anyone have the instructions and or a picture of exactly how they mounted them on their bike? Thanks in advance.. David

David

2003 K1200 LTC Anthracite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Since it was a dumb question.... I have already found the answer by having googled it... Sorry for the post.

David

2003 K1200 LTC Anthracite
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 6:35 pm

enjoy the PIAAs! those are the favorite modification I've made to the LT so far. it's like night and day (literally) between only the headlight and headlight+1100Xs.

just a bit of advice: don't point them straight forward. the lighting improvement is greatest if you point them outwards slightly (maybe ~10-15 degrees off center). I love seeing off the sides of Wisconsin country roads... and being able to see deer now thanks to the PIAAs.

Ryan - Motorradmitfahrer Maximus & Forumus Noobus sometimes
2003 K12LTC dressed in Black - "StratoCruiser"
Madison, WI
"where are the controls for the air conditioner on that bike?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Ultimate Riding Machine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 1:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Red face

Ryan,
I had the PIAAs installed in VT. Some members say to cross them so the on-coming traffic isn't blinded. You simply bended outward. Do you get flashed very often? At this point, with the CQHID low beam installed, the PIAAs haven't been much help in the left turns.
Did you try crossing yours?

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 2:36 pm

a while back, I started a thread about getting flashed with the PIAAs turned on. I kept getting flashed and couldn't understand. turns out I lowered the headlight (via the knob) considerably and haven't been flashed since. guess it was the low beam, not the 1100Xs.

on a side note, I had considered crossing the beams, even though Ghostbusters told me never to. I may try it out and see what kinda holes I can tear in space-time... or how much improvement my night riding becomes. thanks for the suggestion!

Ryan - Motorradmitfahrer Maximus & Forumus Noobus sometimes
2003 K12LTC dressed in Black - "StratoCruiser"
Madison, WI
"where are the controls for the air conditioner on that bike?"

The Ultimate Riding Machine
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 2:52 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhammetter
....I had considered crossing the beams, even though Ghostbusters told me never to. I may try it out and see what kinda holes I can tear in space-time... or how much improvement my night riding becomes. thanks for the suggestion!
... I did that, crossing the PIAA's, and had mixed results.
I ended crossing and angling the beams "up" a few degrees so that as the bike leaned into the corner the light "dropped" down to light up the road further out than if pointed straight ahead.

Worked okay, but I found that my pace during the night, and corresponding lean angle, was all over the place and with the fixed and focused beam, I got mixed results.

A wide dispersion light, less focussed beam, might be more effective, but went with HID's and never tried it.

I find that my HID's with both low and high beam give out enough for typical night riding. For fast pace night riding I have an alternate solution that I use.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in