Throttle Rail Return Springs - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 8:56 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Stroudsburg, PA, USA
Posts: 1,831
Question Throttle Rail Return Springs

Has anyone disconnected any of the return springs in a effort to reduce the throttle resistance?
I have the updated 2005 cables installed although improved not totally happy.
Thanks for the feed back.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
murray is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:03 pm
IBR# 366
 
meese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: West Linn, OR
Posts: 16,427
Garage
Check the routing of the new cables through the fairing. Too tight of a bend can make them stiffer than they should be. And don't assume that because you did it the same as the previous cables that it is right. after all, you replaced those because they were too stiff, right?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
meese is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 1:43 pm
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Check the routing of the new cables through the fairing. Too tight of a bend can make them stiffer than they should be. And don't assume that because you did it the same as the previous cables that it is right. after all, you replaced those because they were too stiff, right?
True, But prior to attaching the cables I checked the cables for smooth operation. Yes the cables move freely and smooth. So I would say the cable bend is not a problem.
Back to the spring disconnect , Those springs sure do create alot of resistance. Anyone disconnect one of the springs?
Thanks
Petem aka murray
PeteM is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 1:52 pm
Senior Member
 
johnrehder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Terrell, Texas
Posts: 2,829
Smile 3 springs

Pete,
I accidently unhooked the middle spring when I changed my cables out this weekend. There are three of them. I hooked it back up because I did not want to take a chance on not having enough pressure to properly close the throttle, however when I adjusted the cables too much one direction the throttle got really stiff in operation so I lossened the adjuster nut untill the throttle spung back on its own freely. Played with a bunch of different settings too. Try adjusting the cables first and see if it loosens the play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteM
True, But prior to attaching the cables I checked the cables for smooth operation. Yes the cables move freely and smooth. So I would say the cable bend is not a problem.
Back to the spring disconnect , Those springs sure do create alot of resistance. Anyone disconnect one of the springs?
Thanks
Petem aka murray

looking around for a possible replacement



2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
johnrehder is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 1:57 pm
Senior Member
 
CharlieVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Deep South of Vermont
Posts: 4,389
Throttle springs

I have thought about doing this too, it was a very easy modification on old four carb Hondas. Not so easy on the LT and I gave up on it. There was a post some time ago by someone who had "relaxed" the return spring by repositioning the "keeper' on one end of the spring.
That post may be in the archives of the old board.

Edited to add:

Here's a old post on the subject. David Shealey's... I should have guessed. So, ping David and he'll probably be able to give you more details.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...=&view=&sb=&o=

Last edited by CharlieVT; Oct 10th, 2006 at 2:25 pm. Reason: Found the old post
CharlieVT is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 6:44 pm
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Has anyone disconnected any of the return springs in a effort to reduce the throttle resistance?
I have the updated 2005 cables installed although improved not totally happy.
Thanks for the feed back.
Definitive answer: I have done this. The throttle rail would not *reliably* return that last RCH back to the idle stop.

It *might* not have been a problem when the engine is running (vibration to help the throttle close), but I wasn't willing to risk it, and hooked the spring back up. I strongly recommend not taking the chance of not being able to maintain accurate throttle control, particularly at low speed/small throttle openings.

FWIW, the carbs were low mileage at the time (<4K?), so there was no issue as to whether they were hanging due to deposits, gummy residue, etc.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 8:40 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Stroudsburg, PA, USA
Posts: 1,831
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrehder
Pete,
I accidently unhooked the middle spring when I changed my cables out this weekend. There are three of them. I hooked it back up because I did not want to take a chance on not having enough pressure to properly close the throttle, however when I adjusted the cables too much one direction the throttle got really stiff in operation so I lossened the adjuster nut untill the throttle spung back on its own freely. Played with a bunch of different settings too. Try adjusting the cables first and see if it loosens the play.
Thanks John also varied the freeplay without change.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
murray is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 8:48 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Stroudsburg, PA, USA
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I have thought about doing this too, it was a very easy modification on old four carb Hondas. Not so easy on the LT and I gave up on it. There was a post some time ago by someone who had "relaxed" the return spring by repositioning the "keeper' on one end of the spring.
That post may be in the archives of the old board.

Edited to add:

Here's a old post on the subject. David Shealey's... I should have guessed. So, ping David and he'll probably be able to give you more details.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...=&view=&sb=&o=
Charle , Mark thanks for the effort.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
murray is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 7:39 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MARCO ISLAND, FL, W. NC USA
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Has anyone disconnected any of the return springs in a effort to reduce the throttle resistance?
I have the updated 2005 cables installed although improved not totally happy.
Thanks for the feed back.
Pete and Charlie,
I had same prob w/ new 06 LT...all was ok, thats when they showed me the 3 STRONG springs on the rail.
Here is a work-a-round if everything mechanical is OK;
He told me to try the "Throttle Rocker" www.throttlerocker.com
Cost $10 for the right. Loved it so much I went and bought the left for $8 and two more for my HD. My bro bought them also after trying mine.
The leverage and hand platform comfort are unbelievable!
CHEAP NON PERMINENT INVESTMENT

be safe

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SmokinJoe is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 8:00 am
Senior Member
 
mneblett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Posts: 5,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Pete and Charlie,
I had same prob w/ new 06 LT...all was ok, thats when they showed me the 3 STRONG springs on the rail.
Here is a work-a-round if everything mechanical is OK;
He told me to try the "Throttle Rocker" www.throttlerocker.com
Cost $10 for the right. Loved it so much I went and bought the left for $8 and two more for my HD. My bro bought them also after trying mine.
The leverage and hand platform comfort are unbelievable!
CHEAP NON PERMINENT INVESTMENT

be safe
I'll second that! Mine has been on four LTs -- the bikes may come and go, but the Throttle Rocker stays!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
mneblett is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 2:39 pm
Senior Member
 
AlaskaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hillsboro, OR, USA
Posts: 3,136
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
I'll second that! Mine has been on four LTs -- the bikes may come and go, but the Throttle Rocker stays!
And I'll third that! The Throttle Rocker can be a life saver on a long trip if you do lose your Cruise, as I found out coming home from Breck a few years ago. Boy is it nice to just stretch those fingers.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AlaskaFish is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 5:21 pm
Senior Member
 
CharlieVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Deep South of Vermont
Posts: 4,389
Throttle Rocker Thread!

Yeah, Throttle rockers. I've got three. One bike, the old CB550 Honda just doesn't need one.
If you have the old, non-velcro, throttle rocker here's the modification I developed to keep it from slipping:

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...=&view=&sb=&o=

Rock on....
(clever, huh?)
CharlieVT is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throttle cable replacement notes johnrehder K1200LT 26 Aug 8th, 2013 7:54 am
Stiff Throttle 02lt K1200LT 19 Sep 17th, 2011 1:37 pm
Question - LT Throttle Cable Service Bulletin? DRM K1200LT 20 Aug 20th, 2008 7:26 pm
New Zip, sticky throttle, not all cables parishollow K1200LT 1 Mar 29th, 2006 9:16 am
Feeling a little chill tonight? Try hot springs pjessen Chit Chat 0 Feb 5th, 2006 10:42 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome