The Clouds Gather - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 11:24 am Thread Starter

The Clouds Gather

Howdy. I decided to start a new thread on the woes of diagnosing my speedometer and ABS failure. The ABS warnings and the testing / mutilation of the rear wheel speed sensor cable are documented in the previous thread.

At the end of the thread, Mark neblett (Hi, Mark) suggested what seemed to be an excellent test first brought to light by David Shealey (hi, Dave). As I understood it, the idea is to bring an active soldering iron in close proximity to the rear wheel sensor harness with the bike ignition turned on. The 60 Herz frequency emitted by the iron would energize the sensor harness and the speedometer would indicate a reading if all the components in the system upstream from the sensor cable were operating.

Yesterday, I took my 30 - 35 watt soldering iron out to the garage and plugged it in to a working extension cord. With Lynn, The Pillion Princess, watching the speedometer and the ignition turned on, I placed the rapidly heating soldering iron tip near the sensor cable, the sensor cable to harness connector and as far upstream of the connector as I could reach. The good news is that I managed to not melt, singe, char, ignite or in any other way produce an unintended result in the further reduction of the resale of the motorcycle, garage, garage contents, myself or my marriage. The bad news is the speedometer never budged.

Folks I'm seriously beginning to fear I've set a new high in Negative Mechanical Karma because if I've done this last test correctly, it seems that the Moronic and/or ABS controller or something else equally expensive has died and taken the LT with it. To head off a well intended suggestion or three, the local dealer wants over $100 to plug the LT into the black magic detector to read the codes and I just can't afford that. Late at night, lying awake staring at the ceiling I'm beginning to imagine selling the LT for $3.29 to a grimy laughing salvager while his magnetic scrap crane sucks the bike out of the garage with a woosh and a clank. So, for the sake of a good night's sleep and keeping my LT away from the magnetized vultures, I'd deeply appreciate some real positive karmic reinforcing help on this from our mechanical mavens. Mr. Shealey, did I do the soldering iron test correctly? Or did I neglect to put a body appendage in the correct position? Mr. Neblett, I'm afraid you're gonna have to be patient for amusing fireworks in the western sky a bit longer.

I'd be willing to sacrifice a teenage virgin, but this being a college town, there just simply ain't none!

Thanks, folks.

Frettin' Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 12:56 pm

Karl, my sympathies.

Only diagnostic idea I have is one that's likely already been suggested. Pull the battery out for over night - see if that'll 'reset' things.

But, still $100 may well be a reasonable price for dreamless sleep. And what with the interdependancies on this 'shuttle craft' of the highways, it really is the smart way to go. Get an answer - then choose your options.

G'luck to yas!

Oh, and no teenage virgins in N. Colorado?? Has something to do with those Wyoming cowboys.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Better than the soldering iron is one of the little charger transformers for a power tool, etc. that plug into a 120V socket. Use an extension cord, and hold the transformer near the speed sensor. That will give you a much better magnetic field than a simple soldering iron.

The good news is that the signal does not go through the Motronic or other expensive controller, but straight to the speedometer assembly.

It sounds to me that either your sensor has failed, or you have lost a connection somewhere between it and the speedo assembly, or maybe the speedo assembly circuit has failed.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 3:25 pm

Not sure if this will work, but it is $100.00 dollars cheaper than the dealer thing.
Put bike on center stand turn ignition on, in neutral, spin rear wheel forward as fast as you can while someone hold bars and watches speedo for signs of life.
Good luck
Rock
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Karl, my sympathies.

Only diagnostic idea I have is one that's likely already been suggested. Pull the battery out for over night - see if that'll 'reset' things.

But, still $100 may well be a reasonable price for dreamless sleep. And what with the interdependancies on this 'shuttle craft' of the highways, it really is the smart way to go. Get an answer - then choose your options.

G'luck to yas!

Oh, and no teenage virgins in N. Colorado?? Has something to do with those Wyoming cowboys.
Hi, Zotter. Thanks so much for the suggestion to reset the battery. I disconnected the negative terminal for three hours and thought that should do it. I may go ahead and disconnect for an over night. As you know, it's been rainin' here and looks to turn to snow, so ridin' weather will be over for a few days.

As to Wyoming cowboys, Bein' a native of Cheyenne, ever'one know that in Wyomin' the

Thanks again.

Not Wool Gatherin' Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Better than the soldering iron is one of the little charger transformers for a power tool, etc. that plug into a 120V socket. Use an extension cord, and hold the transformer near the speed sensor. That will give you a much better magnetic field than a simple soldering iron.

The good news is that the signal does not go through the Motronic or other expensive controller, but straight to the speedometer assembly.

It sounds to me that either your sensor has failed, or you have lost a connection somewhere between it and the speedo assembly, or maybe the speedo assembly circuit has failed.
Hi, David. Thanks for the amplification Being a computer troubleshooter and admirer of cordless power tools I gots lots of those charger transformers runnin' around here. I've got one that will zap up a 18 volt cordless drill in just a couple of hours. That ought to do it. And thanks for the tip on where that sensor cable goes. I just have to think with both the ABS not completing the roll away test and the speedometer being nonresponsive that those 2 things point right at the sensor. I've got one on order through Beemerboneyard. I'll work harder on tracing that circuit up to the speedometer assembly, looking for a broken connection.

Thanks again for your help.

BTW, I never minded the avatar. I just figured that was you consultin' with a higher power conceptualizin' another K1200LT miracle cure.

Contemplatin' Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Not sure if this will work, but it is $100.00 dollars cheaper than the dealer thing.
Put bike on center stand turn ignition on, in neutral, spin rear wheel forward as fast as you can while someone hold bars and watches speedo for signs of life.
Good luck
Rock
Hi, Rock. Thanks for the excellent tip. I went one better, I rode the LT down the street and back with the sensor and cable in place and the speedo never wiggled.

Surely do appreciate your advice.

Noddin' Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in