Thinking of a second bike , an 05 LT maybe ? (: - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 6:48 am Thread Starter

Thinking of a second bike , an 05 LT maybe ? (:

Hello everybody,

I am the proud owner of a 2004 R 1200 c Montauk. I know, very different bike from what the people on this forum are riding (:. But I love her, and I don't want to let go. Normally it suits me just fine for city daily rides and small rides in the country, but I found it to be slightly inadequate for the long rides on the highways of Europe (I did a 6500 km European tour on it this summer).
So, I'm thinking of a second bike for long tours. After long research and debates with myself (:, I set my eyes on a new generation LT. But I do have some concerns and I do hope that some of you can help with some answers.
So, here it goes :

-I test drove a R1200 RT at the Garmisch BMW International festival and ... absolutely hated it ! Everything was way too smooth , no feedback in the handlebars, no feeling of the engine, no feeling whatsoever ... Yes, I was comfortable and very well protected, yes it did react quickly to all of my demands, yes it was terriblly nimble, but still .... it felt too fake for my taste. And I was also cooking behind all the protection (end of July in the European Alps), even with the windshiled in the lowest possition. Do I risk a very similar experience with the LT ? (I test drove also an R1200 ST and absolutely loved the ride, but I totally hate the looks of it, and it doesn't have too much to offer for a possible pillion)
-I know it's a heavy bike, so I shouldn't expect a lot in city traffic, but how bad is it really ? Europe is quite dense in regards to smaller or bigger cities with a lot smaller roads than the US; I wouldn't really like to be fighting with a huge brick for each meter I'm gaining in heavy city traffic, and get exhausted after one hour of visiting Paris or whatever else city I may be in(:
-Also I'm planning to use the LT as the bike for bad weather (freezing termperatures, heavy rain etc) INSIDE the city. Is this realistic ?
-For that matter Bucharest (and Romania in general) has rather bad tarmac, uneven, and with potholes. Will the bike take the abuse graciously or I should forget about it ?
-Also it's quite unclear for me how the intercom and navigation work ... Should I skip the whole intercom thing and go direcly for bluetooth navigation system (Nav3 or similar Garmin) with bluetooth helmets headsets (System 5 or Schuberth Bluesonic, or similar) ?
Any feedback would be highly appreciated (:
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 1:20 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Hello Iacob.

I lived in Wales for a while, and rode my LT as far as Prague. Never made it to Romania, though I would have liked to.

The simple answer is that you have to test ride an LT and see how it feels to you. That's all that really matters. But I will try to answer your questions.

The 4-cylinder LT is actually smoother than the R-series bikes. Some people complain that it doesn't feel like a "real bike" but I like that fact that the motor just runs all day long without complaint. You'd have to see for yourself with a test ride.

I have ridden the LT through Paris, London, Munich, Milan, Los Angeles, etc. Yes, it is a large, heavy bike. But that's what makes it so comfortable. If you have a lot of experience riding large bikes then you will be fine on the LT.

The huge fairing and windshield means that the LT is great in poor weather. You get a lot of protection, plus heated seats and grips. The electric windshield also helps quite a lot as you can easily adjust it as the conditions change. The ABS brakes are great in poor traction conditions, but at some point any two-wheeled vehicle will have problems if the ground gets too slippery.

I would recommend upgrading the shocks. The stock Showa shocks are OK, but not good with sudden sharp bumps or potholes. Ohlins or Wilbers shocks handle these large quick bumps better, plus make the whole bike feel smoother and more stable. Make sure the mirror are mounted correctly and tethered, just in case.

The intercom and navigation work well if you get all the BMW parts, or a good aftermarket setup like Baehr. It seems that the Bluetooth setups are not quite ready yet, as they don't have a complete package available. The System V Bluetooth helmets work for rider to passenger intercom, but BMW doesn't have the adapter box to connect the radio, GPS, and other devices yet. I don't think the Schuberth Bluetooth setup is available yet, at least not here in the US. If it is available now in Europe, please let me know.

I hope that helps some.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback (:. Any additional feedback would be welcome, as for the moment there is no available LT in Romania (so, no test ride possible) , I would have to get one from Germany (if I want a slightly used one).
The Bluesonic system from Schberth is available for testing in several European countries (mainly Germany). Not too much data about it.

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 1:02 pm

You may want to look at the GS while you are at it. More agile in the city than the LT, and the pillion might like it too.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #5 of 7 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 3:04 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazdravanul
-I test drove a R1200 RT at the Garmisch BMW International festival and ... absolutely hated it ! Everything was way too smooth , no feedback in the handlebars, no feeling of the engine, no feeling whatsoever ... Yes, I was comfortable and very well protected, yes it did react quickly to all of my demands, yes it was terriblly nimble, but still .... it felt too fake for my taste. And I was also cooking behind all the protection (end of July in the European Alps), even with the windshiled in the lowest possition. Do I risk a very similar experience with the LT ? (I test drove also an R1200 ST and absolutely loved the ride, but I totally hate the looks of it, and it doesn't have too much to offer for a possible pillion)
The LT "is all that and a bag of chips" (translation, if you think the R1200 RT was smooth and protected, the LT is like that and even more so).

If you want more "feel", then perhaps a K1200GT, or even drop down in size to the K1200S. Although the K-S is a bit small for my tastes in touring, it really is big enough to be a true "Sport Touring" bike.

If the K1200S fits you ergonomically, then my only concern would be the capacity of the alternator to run all of the potential accessories.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #6 of 7 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 9:59 am Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input. Again, any additional feedback would be welcomed.
The GT is ugly, for my taste (:, and it's a problem apparently I'm not able to overcome (:. Also I'm afraid about not enough storage space, and maybe a little bit too much power (the only way I know I can manage to keep myself safe on the road, is to have a smart bike choice, because ,like we all know we will always be tempted to push the throttle until it hurts (: ).
The GS is a different bird, alltogether. I may get used to the looks of a 1200 GSA, but I'm not a big fan of off-road riding. The only off-road abilities I would require from my ride is to be able to handle safely, bad tarmac roads, either uneven, or with potholes, or with splattered sand or gravel here and there. I'm not really sure if the LT will be able to do this without giving me serious chills.
The GS has another couple of potential problems, for me :1 no heated seats (and I don't like the Corbin stitches (: ) 2 I'm not sure about the sustained, comfortable touring speed on highways (I would need something that would make me feel really good cruising for 5-8 straight hours at speeds around 180-200 km/h. And I would like to be able to do that for at least 5-6 days in a row).
Any additional info from more experienced riders would be deffinitely appreciated.
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 16th, 2018, 1:25 am

Do you still live in Bucharest. My bike is stranded at the dealer in Otopeni and I am wondering what kind of service to expect. Get back to me if you can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in