£16,970 - for an LT in the UK - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 10:04 am Thread Starter

£16,970 - for an LT in the UK

Hi all,

Just done a cost anayisis on the LT in different countries, have picked the same spec and details each time.

I've just run the config in the UK and Germany.

Uk price £16,970
Germany 23,880 Euros - this converts to £16,082, almost a 1000 cheaper to buy in germany, rip off Britain strikes again!

Couldn't run a config on the US site? but I'd like to be it's cheaper.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 10:26 am

The 16970 pounds converts into $31750. I stopped by the local BMW dealer several weeks ago and a well equiped LT cost ~ $24500 (plus tax at 6.25% and registration fees of about $100).

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 11:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards
Hi all,

Just done a cost anayisis on the LT in different countries, have picked the same spec and details each time.

Uk price £16,970
Germany 23,880 Euros - this converts to £16,082, almost a 1000 cheaper to buy in germany, rip off Britain strikes again!

It would be interesting to find out what the shipping cost back to Europe would be, and how much tariff you would have to pay, then compare with the price of the bike built and sold in Europe (£16,970).
Also check to see if you would get the same warranty...
Perhaps it might be worth your while to buy a year old bike in the US, not having to pay the sales tax since you are exporting the bike. Not sure what the laws are on importing cars and bikes in the UK...
We are seeing 2005 LTs advertised for around $15K because winter is coming.
Let us know what you find out, Mike.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 3:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
It would be interesting to find out what the shipping cost back to Europe would be, and how much tariff you would have to pay, then compare with the price of the bike built and sold in Europe (£16,970).
Also check to see if you would get the same warranty...
Perhaps it might be worth your while to buy a year old bike in the US, not having to pay the sales tax since you are exporting the bike. Not sure what the laws are on importing cars and bikes in the UK...
We are seeing 2005 LTs advertised for around $15K because winter is coming.
Let us know what you find out, Mike.

Hey this is my first post here! Hello all! I'm an R1200C owner looking carefully at buying a K1200LT as a second bike, and thought I'd chime in. I'm an American living in the UK, and everything is overpriced/expensive here compared to the US and much of the rest of the world. I've considered buying an LT in the US and having it shipped over, but I'd be required to pay Her Majesty's Customs 17.5% VAT (value added tax) to the price of the vehicle. There is also a couple hundred pounds extra to pay for customs duty charges AFTER the cost of shipping the bike across the pond. Purchasing from Germany is an option as VAT would have already been paid, but it can cost a hundred pounds again to have a V5 registration created. Not to mention a KPH->MPH conversion. For me, looking at the cost of bringing one over from The Mainland (Europe), the cost of taking time off work, getting a ticket on the chunnel, and time/fuel/lodging, then I'm just about as well off buying from within the UK. I have one in my sights about 150 miles from here which I'm going to call about on Monday, so we shall see. In any event, best of luck to the one you pick!

Cheers,

Devin
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 3:16 pm

Quote:
Hi all,

Uk price £16,970

You lucky b****rds!!
Now here are the points of the Finnish jury...

List price of K 1200 LT : 29.700 eur ( 37.000 usd)
+ options
* Xenon light 560 e
* Navigator pedestal 120 e
* central locking with light set 495 + 75 e
* luggage rack on trunk + brake light 395 e
* soft touch seat 185 e
* tall windshield 90 e
* intercom (no helmet sets) 960 e
* alarm system 510 e
* 6 CD changer 775 e
* extra power socket 50 e
* passenger floorboards (chrome) 680 e

We have pretty heavy taxation on motorcycles. However it used to be even worse some years back. So I guess we ought to be happy, after all.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #6 of 13 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmitche
I have one in my sights about 150 miles from here which I'm going to call about on Monday, so we shall see.
Your not coming down to Gloucester are you? I know of one for sale here as the guy is moving to Australia? If it is Steve you are thinking of buying from, he's a good guy. Bike has done very little mileage, and his well maintained and under cover all the time it's not being riden.

Rgds
Mike

post #7 of 13 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
You lucky b****rds!!
So now we know why your the Farkler! You buy it standard, and add all the bits yourself to save some cash, neat!

I'll compile a final total once we have a few more results from our world wide jury.

Rgds
Mike

post #8 of 13 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 4:13 pm

Current price fro a new LT in South Africa is ZAR 174 500 ( USD 22 400 ) or ( GBP 12 000 )

Standard model here does not have comm, GPS or Xenon lights.
Prices here are going to increase dramatically soon as our currency has depreciated against the USD and EUR in the last two months.

"...sat still while swooping swift, heavily armoured but completely exposed, dagger-proof and always vulnerable, fully concentrated and miles away." - Dan Walsh

02 LT Toscana
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 4:30 pm

Quote:
Hi all,

Uk price £16,970

VERY rough estimate - bout $2 = £1, so US price should be bout $34000 - I dont think they're anywhere close

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #10 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 2:07 am
IBR# 366

Garage
When I was looking at new LTs while living in the UK, I just couldn't handle the vast price increase. I ended up buying a one-year-old '99 LT from a dealer with 9K miles on it. The cost was just about what it would have cost me for a new bike in the US.

A couple of years later I spoke to BMW GB about ordering a newer US-spec bike in the UK, then shipping it home 6 months later. They basically quoted me full UK retail, then grudging agreed to file the paperwork to save the VAT charges. And then acted like I was bothering them the whole while. No, thanks.

When I did get back to the States I bought a new '02 LT for $3,500 off the list price, making it an even better deal compared to the UK prices.

Note that we had similar experiences buying TVs and electronics in the UK, as well as finding many other goods and services vastly over priced. I once went online to reserve a rental car in Germany for a week, using my UK address. Out of curiosity, I had the same car quoted, but using my US address, and got it for almost half the cost. They really do see you Brits coming.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 2:52 am Thread Starter

[QUOTE=meeseThey really do see you Brits coming.[/QUOTE]

So it might be worth my while booking my Airline tickets and hotel reservations for my Honeymoon in the US next year and use my sisters VA address, might make a saving. Dont know how successful I'd be getting the tickets from the UK though, but worth looking into.

Rgds
Mike

post #12 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 1:07 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
It would sure be worth checking the price differences at least. Hotels shouldn't matter, but the rental car may be cheaper. As for flights, sometimes you can get tickets on the web that print out on your own printer. Then take that paper to the airport and do the normal check-in (or self check-in if they have that option).

Good luck, and enjoy the trip.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 1:18 pm

05 LT in Spain with all the trimmings including GPS pre-installation, Voice II, soft touch seats etc, but not the CD changer € 24.000, including taxes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in