Can you remove the LT tourpak? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Can you remove the LT tourpak?

Is there anyway to remove the tourpak and if so, does anyone have a picture of it? What kind of cover can you buy to cover the place where the tourpak was? I would like the ability to put it on/off as needed...thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadgliderider
Is there anyway to remove the tourpak and if so, does anyone have a picture of it? What kind of cover can you buy to cover the place where the tourpak was? I would like the ability to put it on/off as needed...thanks!!
Yes, the trunk is removable; a search on "trunk" "removal"and "Ft. Worth rack" should bring up a number of posts.

The basics (as I recall, this is in the owner's manual):

Open trunk.

Remove thumbscrew on left, take strap off and gently guide it into the retractor.

Pull front top edge of the inner liner to the rear to release the 1-2" piece of velcro.

Start lifting the inner liner out of the bottom half of the trunk; at the same time insert a thin screwdriver or awl into the slots next to the latch arms -- the object is to move the tabs right next to the latch arms (under the top edge of the liner) slightly to the rear so that, as you lift the liner out, the tabs pass over the latch arms' hinge pins.

Once the liner is out, remove the passenger seat (two screws at the front edge, disconnect the heared seat plug (toward the left, under the front edge of the seat), pull the seat forward/off.

Disconnect the cables under the passenger seat, from the trunk to the chassis (two barrel-shaped connectors,a one or two small cables on each side).

Return to the inside of the trunk; remove the 4 Allen screws from the base of the trunk (beware -- as the screws are removed, the unbalanced trunk can tip forward.

Lift the trunk off.

If you want to remove the large black plastic panel under the trunk, remove the 4 Allen screws on the top (similar to the ones in the trunk), and the 2 T25 Torx screws at the front tips of the cover.

Slide the cover forward a 1/4 inch to clear the tabs at the rear, then lift off.

HTH,

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 10:10 pm

Sure, takes about 15 mins. You can also move it back, it comes mounted in the forward position from the factory. Here is a pic of mine with a Fort Worth rack on the rear.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
Ya know, even without the top box the LT is still a beautiful machine.
Wonder how a Wing would compare without it's box?

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 9:18 am

Is the handling much better with the rack off?

Billy
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 9:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadgliderider
Just curious, did you get a used bike with no owners manual? There are good instructions in it for changing positions of the top case, removal is part of the instructions. It is a real shame that people sell used vehicles and keep the owners manuals. It should be a punishable crime to do so.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 17 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 10:44 am

Garage
Here is a set of directions posted previously by another member of the board.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf topcaseremove[2].pdf (79.9 KB, 90 views)

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #8 of 17 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 1:47 pm

The handling is much improved without the top box. Not nearly as top heaver also.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #9 of 17 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Just curious, did you get a used bike with no owners manual? There are good instructions in it for changing positions of the top case, removal is part of the instructions. It is a real shame that people sell used vehicles and keep the owners manuals. It should be a punishable crime to do so.

As info my OM did not cover that. Only had a small screw driver, helmet cable, and a few fues in the tool kit as well.
post #10 of 17 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBaker
As info my OM did not cover that. Only had a small screw driver, helmet cable, and a few fues in the tool kit as well.
Sorry to hear that BMW is cutting back on Owners Manual information. That makes no sense at all. In the previous manuals there were two pages and 5 pictures devoted to changing the top box position.

What year is your LT?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #11 of 17 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 5:54 am

Greetings all.

Tell me, where can I pick up one of those great looking Fort Worth racks from? I love the look of them.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #12 of 17 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 8:20 am

'06. I was also disappointed that it did not show the thumb screw adjustment for the low or high beams as well.
post #13 of 17 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:25 am

When I bought my 05 I had the dealer take it off before delivery, and installed a brushed aluminum rack that worked like a champ. Could bungie almost anything back there, no tourpack cut cross wind issues, and best of all changed the look of the bike giving it a very sleek road glide look. Keep the tourpak though, when it is time to sell the new owner may not like your aesthetics. Happy trails!
post #14 of 17 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrowbmw
Greetings all.

Tell me, where can I pick up one of those great looking Fort Worth racks from? I love the look of them.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]
Don't know about 'Ft Worth' rack, but go here: http://ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1694 for the rack I put on my 05. Ride on.
post #15 of 17 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 11:41 am

GSBaker:
My '06 manuals showed me everything that I needed to know about moving the trunk back (thus removing it, as well) and the headlight adjustment. Maybe you're missing a manual? There should be four (I think)..

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)

post #16 of 17 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 1:57 pm

The pictures of the bike with the tourpack removed were sweet. But, what do you do with the antennaes?
post #17 of 17 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 11:49 pm

I don't need any stinkin antennas! I took them off because i only use my I-pod for music and an FRS for bike to bike. I may put a hidden antenna back on under the rear seat.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in