oil leaks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

oil leaks

My dealer has just changed the seal on the bevel drive due to to a small oil leak , and he,s informed me the that the gear box output seal is starting to leak . ( Good job i extended the warranty. )
while he,s got it apart would it be advisable to change the clutch slave cylinder ?.
mileage 15000 so far

bikesnumbnuts
04 updated graphite
in blighty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Slave Cylinder Change At 15k

For what it's worth, recommendations on changing the slave cylinder stand on it needing to be done at or around 40K...in my opinion, that's a long way from 15k. I would ask the tech to inspect it thoroughly for any visible leakage and beg them to drill the "weephole" (which they probably will not do), but you never know. The weephole prevents the fulid (if the cylinder leaks) from contaminating the clutch.

At 15k it's your call and costs approx $100 in parts, but if you wait until 40K, you can do it yourself with the help from this forum and the cost still doesn't go up.

Now...here's one more thing to consider...you are 25K miles from 40k...if I was a long distance rider and was going to put that much on my bike in less than one year...it would be worth it to have them install it while in there to save myself the labor.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 18 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 5:12 pm

They have failed on brand new and low mileage bikes. If you've got the bucks, I'd do it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok

post #4 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 2:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Cheap insurance. I did it at 15K on an early 04 delivered(June) US 05 model. Had the swing arm off for rear tranny seal and dealer changed the slave - of course it was in perfect condition. But at least I knew what it was and didn't have to wonder.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 18 Old Oct 8th, 2006, 2:15 pm
Prodigal Son

Talking Hijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
They have failed on brand new and low mileage bikes. If you've got the bucks, I'd do it.
NO We really ALL didn't mean it when David saiad we ought to see the person in the Avatar!!!
Bring back the artistic interpretation!!
Past realities are TOO Much!!

Oh and yeah I vote for the "change it while you are there" thought process.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red

Last edited by early1; Oct 8th, 2006 at 4:00 pm.
post #6 of 18 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 6:20 am Thread Starter

oil leaks

spoke to my dealer today and while it,s apart they said they will check the slave cylinder for leaks . If it is leaking i have told them that i will pay for the new cylinder my self and that way it,ll be covered by bmw for 2 years .
(replacement 58.00) free fitting .
My extended warranty would cover this part but would only be warranted for the remainder of the warranty which expires in march of next year.
dealer says i am being a bit hasty as he,s only replaced 2 in the last 5 years and says i am worrying too much .

bikesnumbnuts
04 graphite updated model
in blighty
post #7 of 18 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 6:29 am

New slave

When the dealer says 'only replaced 2 in the last 5 years' how many LT's does he regularly see in year? As has already been said getting them to drill the hole would be my top priority and remember to ask for the old slave cylinder.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #8 of 18 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 7:19 am Thread Starter

Dealer will not drill the hole so if the new slave starts leaking and screws the clutch bmw will cover all parts under incidentals due to a faulty part which has caused problems due to that part failing

bikesnumbnuts
04 graphite
post #9 of 18 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 12:12 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
It's not the dealer's bike it is yours. I've personally seen and replaced more than two failed slave cylinders myself. It may be a little early at 15K miles, but as long as they're in there it's an easy job. If paying 58 is worth it to you for two years of warranty, then so be it.

In my experience, the hard-earned wisdom of this board is much more valuable than a single dealer's opinion.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 18 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 6:53 pm

There has been a lot of early failures in slave cylinders... in '05 models especially so you may be exchanging a known good one for a bad one. If yours has evidence of fluid it would be a good move. IMHO to proactively replace a good slave without drilling the weep hole is a high cost gamble because of early failures of these parts.

If you don't put 40K miles on the '04 in the next 2 years then you might be in the same predicament..

However if you can be assured that the new one is good you might not have the bike that long... You will know if this one is good so far...

Your the best to judge how long you keep your rides..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #11 of 18 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 7:32 pm
Prodigal Son

Exclamation while it's apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesnumbnuts
Dealer will not drill the hole so if the new slave starts leaking and screws the clutch bmw will cover all parts under incidentals due to a faulty part which has caused problems due to that part failing

bikesnumbnuts
04 graphite
drill it yourself.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #12 of 18 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 4:05 am Thread Starter

Do you honestly think the dealer,s going to let me do that while the bikes in his workshop.
I suppose i could arm myself with a rechargable drill and drill it out while they are having there lunch , or if he,s had a red hot curry the night before hope he,s stuck on the bog for 15 mins.

regards bikenumbnuts
04 graphite updated
in blighty
post #13 of 18 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 4:54 am

Replacing Slave Cylinder

'Do you honestly think the dealer,s going to let me do that while the bikes in his workshop.'

Have you asked?

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #14 of 18 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 5:39 am

We drilled holes for four slave cylinders a couple of weeks ago. Three out of the four were already leaking .

If the current slave cylinder isn't leaking I would drill the weep hole and reinstall the current slave cylinder. There have been quite a few early failures on the 2005's so I'm not convinced a new cylinder is any better than a used one.

Just ask the dealer if he'll look the other way for a minute and drill the hole yourself.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #15 of 18 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 10:08 am Thread Starter

When i asked the dealer , he said that bmw don,t reccomend this modifacation and the warranty would be void.

regards bikenumbnuts
04 updated in graphite
in blighty
post #16 of 18 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 10:48 pm

Oil Leak

I just had my rear main and trans seals replaced. They checked the slave and it was dry but my LT is an 03.

Dave Lancello
Indianapolis Indiana
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
2003 K1200LTE
2006 Harley Street Rod
post #17 of 18 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 3:26 am Thread Starter

Have you drilled the weep hole ?.

regards bikenumbnuts
04 updated in graphite
in blighty
post #18 of 18 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 3:39 pm Thread Starter

Dropped my LT off at the dealers (last tues) for the replacement gearbox output seal .
The findings of the clutch slave were good ( as dry as a bone . )
dealer charged me 92.00 to replace slave cylinder , discounted because he ,d got the rear end off to replace the seal .
He thinks i,m mad to replace the slave when it, s not leaking , but like i explained that part is gonna be covered by a 2 year warranty so if it screws the clutch bmw is gonna sort it .

regards bikenumbnuts
04 your 05 in graphite
in blighty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in