07 or wait - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 12:16 pm Thread Starter

07 or wait

Looking at an LT as a replacement for my beloved Road King. 07 is a great ride. I am concerned that 07, with few changes from 06, and the oldest motor in the fleet, is up for the new motor and possibly a 6 speed gearbox next year. This platform as been around for a while. Any news on a future for this bike? These bikes don't hold their value in normal conditions and I really don't want to buy in the last year of production before major overhauls to make this problem significantly worse. Also if they put the new motor in this baby it would have some much needed get up. Any thoughts? Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 1:43 pm

Do what I did. Buy a used LT and ride it a few years until the new slant 4 model comes out in the next year or two. Then, once it is out for a year or more, get the new one (after all the bugs are out of it).

Lots of great LT's out there at reasonable prices. If you want the updated power and front end geometry get an '05. They are out there for $15,000.00. In fact this one looks like a great deal:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15029

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 10:35 pm

Of course you could also lease a new bike and only pay the depreciation, less sales tax, smaller deposit, and return the bike at the end of the lease. All depending on how many miles you put on the bike per year...! That should give you a couple of years to wait for the new LT and another year for some debugging!!!
Another big advantage of a 3 year lease: warranty!!!
You'll have to do the numbers and see if it makes sense for YOU! Just food for thought.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfan
Looking at an LT as a replacement for my beloved Road King. 07 is a great ride. I am concerned that 07, with few changes from 06, and the oldest motor in the fleet, is up for the new motor and possibly a 6 speed gearbox next year. This platform as been around for a while. Any news on a future for this bike? These bikes don't hold their value in normal conditions and I really don't want to buy in the last year of production before major overhauls to make this problem significantly worse. Also if they put the new motor in this baby it would have some much needed get up. Any thoughts? Thanks for any input.
Much of the next-gen LT speculation is saying an '09 model (probably early '08 release) at the earliest. FWIW: Kinda far out as yet for the "now or later" question for me, so I went with an '06.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in