I think I know the answer already but... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 10:46 am Thread Starter

I think I know the answer already but...

... I hope I'm wrong. Is it normal for the LT to spit oil out of the tailpipe. I was warming up the bike getting ready to take it for a spin did a walk around as it was warming up... you know... check the tires and make sure nothing looks like its going to fall off... that kind of thing. I noticed the LT spitting some oil out the tailpipe... more to the point I noticed the oil on the floor of the garage. I looked over to where I had parked her the day before and sure enough same pattern of oil spits right where the tailpipe would have been. I checked the oil and it does not appear to be low. Sooooo... I figure either it always does this and I just haven't noticed before (unlikely) or I'm about to make another warranty claim (the 2nd in the 3+ months of ownership) because I have oil seeping into the combustion chamber (more likely). Any thoughts... am I as screwed as I think I am.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:19 am

This is perfectly normal if you parked it on the side stand. If you think about it, that puts the cylinder head downhill from the oil supply to some extent. It doesn't hurt anything, other than perhaps the beauty of your garage floor.

Park it on the centerstand, and this virtually stops. Keep it upright for a few seconds with the engine off, like while taking off your helmet, then park it on the sidestand: same deal...no spots.

Most bikes with horizontal cylinders do this, so quit worrying and JUST RIDE IT!

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun54
This is perfectly normal if you parked it on the side stand. If you think about it, that puts the cylinder head downhill from the oil supply to some extent. It doesn't hurt anything, other than perhaps the beauty of your garage floor.

Park it on the centerstand, and this virtually stops. Keep it upright for a few seconds with the engine off, like while taking off your helmet, then park it on the sidestand: same deal...no spots.

Most bikes with horizontal cylinders do this, so quit worrying and JUST RIDE IT!
When its in the garage it is always on the centerstand, does that change your opinion of the problem? I don't want to be a nervous nelly but I also don't want a minor problem to become major.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 12:00 pm

It is still probably "normal", whatever that is... Mine does it too at times. A lot of what comes out of the tail pipe is probably water vapor with a little oil mixed in. Notice that you are from WI, and the cooler weather may make it more noticeable as you are going to create more water vapor on start up than you would in warmer weather.

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Oil on floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrooten
It is still probably "normal", whatever that is... Mine does it too at times. A lot of what comes out of the tail pipe is probably water vapor with a little oil mixed in. Notice that you are from WI, and the cooler weather may make it more noticeable as you are going to create more water vapor on start up than you would in warmer weather.
This is probably correct,but doesn't BMW reccomend not warming up the bike before riding?Just take it easy till engine temp. is up to normal.
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 1:01 pm

I assume it is black spots on the garage floor you are talking about? That is not oil, but mostly carbon that is mixed with condensation of water vapor that settles in the carbon deposits in muffler overnight, then is spat out when the engine is started.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRich
This is probably correct,but doesn't BMW reccomend not warming up the bike before riding?Just take it easy till engine temp. is up to normal.
Correct. Do not warm the bike up, just ride off. Has something to do with oil circulation and pressure, which is prolly important enough to follow BMW's rec on this.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 3:28 pm

You sure that 'spit' pattern is oil??

My '02 spits a pattern of black dots, but it's not oil. It's soot. Durring a cold start, she runs pretty rich - that coulped with condensed moisture results in a black, sooty spray - well, drops. Also coats the back end of the muffler.

In any case - that's nothing unusual either.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #9 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 3:36 pm

i ain't never had discernable oil come out of my exhaust pipe. my question is how much oil, if it is oil. if it is definitely oil, i would take it to the dealer. in the mean time, i would put something under the exhaust to absorb or collect a sample and isolate it with something between the floor and the collector. i would take this with me to the dealer and take pictures of it as well. omurphy
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 4:43 pm Thread Starter

On closer inspection (I put some paper under the tailpipe and fired it up) it does appear to be oily soot, so I'm not going to worry about it just yet. Thank you all for your help this is the second time that you've been able to diagnose a problem (slave cylinder was the first one) without laying eyes on the bike. Come to Wisconsin and the first ones on me.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #11 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCabranes
.... Come to Wisconsin and the first ones on me.
John,

You better be careful with statements like that. You may get more takers than you could imagine. Remember a lot of these guys ride 400 miles for lunch.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

I figure that as long as they don't all come together I'm safe...

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in