Weird electrical problem with Radio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:29 am Thread Starter

Weird electrical problem with Radio

To all the electrical genius out there here is a very interesting problem that I am experience with the radio on my 05 LT
The problem shows up after riding in the rain or washing it.
Here are the symptoms
The radio cuts out and the Stand down indicator turns on. (both stands are up)
The radio stops displaying any information on the LCD and I have no control with vol or scan buttons.
All radio buttons except on/off are render inactive. The on/off does not appear to do anything but hitting a few times does seem to turn the radio on, (if you call it on) I hear an AM radio station but nothing is displayed.

This condition will remain until the stand indicator goes out.

Some other possible clues
When this condition occurs it prevents me from putting the bike on the center stand while the bike is running. Once I turn the bike off then the stand works. Though the Indicator is still indicating the stand is already down.
I have an ICELink IPod and thought this was the weak link but I have disconnected and appears not to have any effect.
If I do leave the Ipod connect this seems to drain the battery.

I have disconnected the battery and wait for 5 min and reconnect, but it does not make any differences.

The only thing I can see the removes this issue is after riding it for a while to dry things out and the condition will clear it itself. Though it has come back and then cleared itself for good or until I get caught in the rain or wash the bike.

I have showed this behavior to my dealer who suggest I disconnect the battery and tap the two leads together. I guess this causes something to discharge and has fixed other radio issues in the past. Well this did not work either,

So he is contracting BMW about what might be the causes.

I know something is getting wet and shorting out or something but for the life of me I do not have a clue.

Has anyone ever experience this radio behavior?

Jim Connor
Afraid of what!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:51 am

I have something close to this. I have the Voice II (this is the third one) and when have the system is on for awhile the speakers in the helmet go dead and helmet mic goes hots, if I turn the bike off and on the system comes back and then goes dead again in a few seconds, while this is happening the center stand does not work right, it only blinks fast. If I turn the key off then back on the center stand works. I told my dealer that i want a complete new system and if this does this again I want my money back for the system or buy the bike back. He is going to get back with me in a day or two. It seems like the electrical problem that causes this may be deeper in the bike and not just in the Voice system. I love this bike except for this. I have an IceLink also and it has no effect on the system. The way you keep the battery from being discharge by the IceLink is to unplug the smaller of the two connections that the CD controller cable plugs into, this is the 12v power. I only do this if the bike is going to sit for a few days. With the IceLink, get it out of the cradle and get the docking cable, then pull the loom from the bag and put the IceLink under the seat and I run the cable up to my tank bag with the pod in it, no heat or vibration issues after this.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Last edited by dmatson; Oct 5th, 2006 at 11:58 am.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 1:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The only thing I would do at this point is check all connectors for proper seating. Including the two on the back of the dash assy. This would involve plastic removal of the left side and the dash cover. I would suggest this tactic to the dealer if he does not come up with a better solution. Most have good rubber seals and don't let water in unless they are not seated well. This is a new problem we have not seen before.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
The only thing I would do at this point is check all connectors for proper seating.
What he said, and put some dielectric grease in them before putting them back together.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:40 pm

Wierd Electrical Problem

Are you sure the radio is the cause and not the stand switch?

post #6 of 7 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 5:05 pm

By the way, dielectric grease is sold at your local auto parts store under the brand name Permatex Tuneup Grease!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Re: Weird electrical problem with Radio

Similar issue;

When the bike gets wet by heavy rain or wash, the radio will start playing. No display is on. I can push the ON button, and the display will turn on, and I have control, but I turn the radio OFF and it still plays. I pull the fuse, and it still plays. This will last until the bike thoroughly dries out. This happens with the key in all positions. I have to disconnect the battery lead to silence it. Anyone come across this problem? Solution? Sounds like a short, but the fuse-pull is a mystery!

Has anyone found the problem here? I have not found that the kick stand has anything to do with it... Happens when it it parked, I can ride it, then will continue.. Weird! Thanks for any ideas...

Matt McCoy
'00 K1200LTC
Nashville, TN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in