greasy front rim - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:21 am Thread Starter

greasy front rim

my 2000 lt had a fine coating of grease or oil on both sides of the front rim with some on the spokes. 74k miles on it. it's not brake fluid; i've checked. i drove home and gave it a good bath. it's been a while since it has had one. i've been working third shift so i hadn't noticed the grease until this morning although i noticed what i thought was dirt or brake dust a few days ago when i checked the tire pressure, but it probably wasn't as bad then as this morning. i've noticed for quite sometime a little grease coming from between the seal and axle on the right hand side, and there was some there this morning. i had the 12 k service done in aug. the dealer has never mentioned a problem with the wheel bearings. i checked the archives and it does mention possibly changing the bearings at around 72k, but it doesn't mention anything regarding a greasy rim. when i washed the bike this morning i didn't feel any roughness in the bearings. so perhaps i need seals. one other thing since returning from the dealer 72k service, i had a locale shop put on a new front tire. any thoughts or comments will be appreciated. i will probably not respond today as it's well past my bed time and i've got to go to work tonight. thank you, omurphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 1:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Any time you pull the front axel you are supposed to apply a light film of grease to it (keeps it from seizing to the bearings). The shop may have gotten carried away and used a bit too much. Check it again after a few miles and see what shows up.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 2:16 pm

The bearings are sealed with just a cap over them. They are a bear to remove and you better have the axle in place after putting in the spacer BEFORE you place the 2cnd bearing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

thanks, my intention is to visually inspect after some miles and check the temperature (lay hand near then on). omurphy
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 8:09 pm

Reach up around the front strut tubes with a paper towel to insure you do not have a weeping strut seal that lets a little oil run down the back side of the strut and maybe onto the axle area. Mine was dripping off the right brake caliper about 4K miles ago. It has since stopped on it's own.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

thanks wilbar. give dino a pat on the head for me. muchos gracias senior. omurphy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in