Transmission Issues - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Transmission Issues

On Monday while returning home from Colorado I began to have some noise from my gearbox. It now seems that I will have to rebuild or replace it. Has anyone had any experience with their gearbox failing, why or what failed? I searched the forum and found only one thread regarding this type of problem. My bike just turned over 116,000 miles and has had excellent care all it's life. I know that mechanical things fail, but have a hard time with it all the same. This is my main means of transportation and the expense of repairs is a severe problem. I don't want to have a repeat of this if at all possible. Any information about this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 8:57 am

Connie was on the way to winning the Iron Butt last year when his trans, failed in Nevada........
I started using Red Line shock proof heavy in mine and I don't know if it'll prevent failure but it sure made it shift smoother................................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Phil: Had another famous BMW bearing go bad on the input shaft in the transmission. Mine had to come all apart to make sure no metal was left flouting around inside. A used trans or a rebuilt of yours is about the same price $1400 so you make the call.

DON

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 2:10 pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Connie was on the way to winning the Iron Butt last year when his trans, failed in Nevada........
I started using Red Line shock proof heavy in mine and I don't know if it'll prevent failure but it sure made it shift smoother................................
Actually It was Jim Owen on a 1150 RT with < 700 miles to go his input shaft trans bearing failed.
Had it not been for the failure he had it in the bag!

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 2:14 pm

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000klticon
On Monday while returning home from Colorado I began to have some noise from my gearbox. It now seems that I will have to rebuild or replace it. Has anyone had any experience with their gearbox failing, why or what failed? I searched the forum and found only one thread regarding this type of problem. My bike just turned over 116,000 miles and has had excellent care all it's life. I know that mechanical things fail, but have a hard time with it all the same. This is my main means of transportation and the expense of repairs is a severe problem. I don't want to have a repeat of this if at all possible. Any information about this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
Phil sorry to here of your misfortune. The rule of thumb is at 100 K one should consider changing all trans seals and bearings!
That will be one of my winter projects.
Good luck.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 8:46 am Thread Starter

Transmission Issues

Well I guess I'm somewhat heartened by the small number of replies. I hope this means that there is not a serious problem with the transmission. I just have to decide what to do. Repair, trade off or part out. Unfortunately parting out may be the most finacially attractive option. Any further input on the nature of these transmissions would be appreciated.

Phil
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 10:14 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000klticon
Well I guess I'm somewhat heartened by the small number of replies. I hope this means that there is not a serious problem with the transmission. I just have to decide what to do. Repair, trade off or part out. Unfortunately parting out may be the most finacially attractive option. Any further input on the nature of these transmissions would be appreciated.

Phil
Phil,
My transmission went out - 4th felt like it was skipping a tooth under load.
I lucked out and got another tranny with about the same mileage as mine from somebody on this board. I listed a WTB in the classifieds and had about 5 replies after being totally disheartened by searching all the usual places. Dealer wanted about $3500 for new one incl. labor or about $2500+ to rebuild.
I replaced it myself - not too difficult, but time consuming.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 12:54 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
As mentioned, that was Jim Owen on the final leg of the 2005 Iron Butt Rally. Coni lost an engine early on in the rally, had that replaced, then lost her transmission on the ride home. Tranny failures seem rare on the LT, but it can happen just like on any other bike, especially as the miles pile up.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 8:29 pm
kip

transmission

got mine in about a million pieces right now.....in the middle of replacing the transmission

basically just strip the entire bike to the frame and u are half way there....

went to work one morning....got a bad grinding sound in the gearbox.....found lots of loose metal inside.....

took me about ? 10 hours to take it all apart......

ill let u know how how many hours it takes to get it going

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 7:19 am Thread Starter

Update:

Thanks,

I drained the transmission Tuesday and found the expected parts of the bearing cage. I've decided to buy a lift and take it apart next week. I don't know that I will try to do the gearbox after it is removed. I think the local service department will be reasonable for that. They wanted $600-700 to R & R the transmission. For $400 I can buy a lift which I will then have to use. Would also be good for a tech day. Thanks for all the input.

Phil

Last edited by 2000klticon; Oct 12th, 2006 at 7:22 am. Reason: Forgot some things

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in