Hydraulic Center Stand Interlocks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 6:43 am Thread Starter
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Hydraulic Center Stand Interlocks

Still working on Jenna's electrics up on the handy lift today when I had to use the center stand again. Pressed the button, but nothing happened. Checked the obvious, then began to look up which fuse to check. The tail light assembly was still disconnected due to my wiring project, when I thought I'd just hang it on with some tape, and reconnect to see what happened. Hey presto, up she went just like new. The complexity of this bike still amazes me. Don't know which circuit in the tail light it was monitoring (I suspect the brake) but just thought I'd relate this experience. Wiring on in Aust. Cheers.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 7:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

For some dumb reason the ONLY bulb that is monitored in the tail light assembly is the low wattage element in the center bulb. It is just a tail light but in BMW's infinite wisdom the engineers selected this element to be monitored by the ABS.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 8:07 am

You can't have the brakes on when trying to use the hydrolic center stand (I'm guessing to either keep the wheels from skidding along the ground or as a level ground measure). So, if there's a discrepancy in the voltage that they system is reading from [whichever] light, the center stand doesn't work.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 7:04 pm Thread Starter
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile I just love tinkering

Thanks all. Both seem plausible, but why the license plate bulb and not the tail lights ? My understanding of this system is that if the tail bulb blows, even with two, that the brake bulb (also two) is then fed a reduced voltage to act as a tail light. I thought that my problems with the trailer relay may have been related to this function, but it was just the relay acting up. I knew about the brake application not allowing the center stand to operate, which is why I twigged to replacing the tail light assembly to see if that worked.
Back to the garage, just softening up the new rubber in the sun prior to mounting. Installed the smartire sensor and weighted the bare wheel to allow the new steel valve stem to just fall to the bottom. Figured with a regular tires light spot (yellow dot) this would minimize balance weights. That Marc Panes balancer is soooo sensitive.

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 9:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
My understanding of this system is that if the tail bulb blows, even with two, that the brake bulb (also two) is then fed a reduced voltage to act as a tail light.
Not so. If you look at the wiring diagram the only unit fed from the "brain" is that center light. The rest are direct from the a fuse or the stop lamp relay back to the battery. No sensing, no feeding a reduced voltage.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #6 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
For some dumb reason the ONLY bulb that is monitored in the tail light assembly is the low wattage element in the center bulb. It is just a tail light but in BMW's infinite wisdom the engineers selected this element to be monitored by the ABS.
It's monitored so that if the center taillight bulb goes out, the brake light element is illuminated at low power to preserve license plate lighting. No reason to do that with either of the main brake lights.

The circuit diagram shows a link to the ABS controller for a "brakes not applied" signal. Just a guess, but I suspect that Hilton's centerstand didn't work at first because this signal wasn't supplied to the EHCS controller due to the ABS controller not successfully completing its start-up checks (taillight not plugged in).

BTW, the only reason I know this is because I had to figure out why I was getting an ABS general warning light on my new '06 -- turns out I got all of a a whopping 300 miles out of the brand new center taillight!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 1:35 am Thread Starter
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Must Get an Up to Date Wiring Book.

Thanks Mark and John, now that begins to make a little more sense. As there is only one bulb filament to illuminate the license plate, easier to monitor. One question though. Using a brake light modulator on the '05 and latter models generally means problems with the ABS. ie. some type of sensing is occurring with the brake light circuit. I modulate the LED in my top rack with a "Backoff" device which is fine. I was going to wire a jumper from one of the two brake light bulbs to the 21 W filament in the center bulb. All the clips are there, it just needed about 4" of wire. Using the same bulbs for tail, brake, and licence makes good sense, but I thought it would screw up the ABS so I left it alone. Just would have made 3 bulbs for the brake, instead of 2.

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 5:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
I was going to wire a jumper from one of the two brake light bulbs to the 21 W filament in the center bulb.
Separate from the bulb monitoring, I have a different reason to not hook up the center brake filament.

When you have only the two outer brake lights illuminated, there can be no mistake as to whether you're looking the tail lights or the brake lights -- but if all three brake lights illuminated, in theory a brain-dead cager that looks away and back at the moment the bike's brakes are applied could, for a critical fraction of a second, miss the brake application.

This is all theoretical -- I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I figure I have nothing to lose by maximizing the chances of getting a BDC's attention.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 8:24 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I felt the same way about making all three brake lights but someone posted about wiring up an electronic flasher to the high wattage element in the center. I went ahead and did it now the center flashes while the regular brake lights are steady. I like that.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 8:10 pm Thread Starter
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile So, it does work ?

" I went ahead and did it now the center flashes while the regular brake lights are steady. "

One reason that I don't like the tail light coming on automatically with the head light. Although not that bright in daylight, I still prefer just the brake lights to illuminate.
John, am I correct in reading your post that you modulate the extra (21W) filament in the center bulb, using the existing brake light as a trigger ? No issues with the ABS ?
I do the same with the LED's in the top rack.
Mark, I think your discription of motorists, " BDC " is spot on. Must be the water around these parts !

ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in