What's in your toolkit?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage
What's in your toolkit??

On Sept. 23rd the wife and I went on a BMW Charity Ride visiting as many of the 9 Dealers in the SoCal area as possible. We made it to the 6th one, BMW of Ventura County, about 1PM and they had an '06 metallic gray LT sitting in the showroom. I made the mistake of asking "Just for the hell of it how much out the door." The wife tells me "I don't think I can make it home (95 miles) on the back of the 1150GS." Well we left the dealer about 6:30PM on the new LT. Man is there a lot of paperwork to fill out!!!

So I get home and look in the tool kit, if you can call it that. There was one double ended screwdriver, four mini blade fuses, a fuse puller, and the wire to lock the helmets (I read that in the manual!!). Is that it???? Did anyone get more than that without buying the "enhanced" tool kit?? I'm just wondering....

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:46 pm

Sorry Bill, BMW has gotten a bit tight on the tool kits. I'm sure if you had known you could have had them throw one in to close the deal. Check here http://www.sierrabmw.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$C2E15EQAAAKJ5TZENUGHBMWPERWR JPX0?UCIDs=820323%7C820415&PRID=1081475 for a good allround kit. My 02 came with a great kit. Have only had to add a few extra items. Left side case holds a sixpack with ease.......

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 1:56 am

Garage
Up until model '05 the LT came with a full tool kit. Somewhere during the year 2005 BMW reduced the kit to what you've seen. But honestly, up to my last bike ('04 EU LT = '05 US model) I had complete toolkits. Never used them....

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 8:52 am

I have a Helen twowheels tool bag and every time I work on the bike in the garage I use it................if the tool I need isn't in there, I add it. All fits nicely in the bag.
Adding tools from my collection at home or buying them from wherever is a lot cheaper than buying a BMW tool kit.............
I once had shocks fail on the RT while 1000 miles from home and was glad I carried the kit.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 9:10 am

billr, I had a similar astonishment. When picking up the bike (about 150 miles from home) the dealer was great as far as going over the whole bike. The tool kit was mentioned and I thought about looking in it but did not until a few days later.

Well at least there is a pouch to put tools in. Now I have to go thru what I have in metric and find out what BMW 'specials' are needed.

Any one have any suggestions?

Gene
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 9:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
I have a Helen twowheels tool bag and every time I work on the bike in the garage I use it................if the tool I need isn't in there, I add it. All fits nicely in the bag.
Adding tools from my collection at home or buying them from wherever is a lot cheaper than buying a BMW tool kit.............
I once had shocks fail on the RT while 1000 miles from home and was glad I carried the kit.
Another endorsement for the H2W tool roll; enough room for the BMW (full) kit, plus ~25% more room of other essentials, all without the roll growing to obnoxious proportions.

One thought re: the now-must-separately-purchase BMW tool kit -- there's no question that you can buy most of the stuff in that kit cheaper. The main things you're paying for if you pop for the BMW kit are (i) knowledge that the tools are pretty good quality (not pot/scrap metal stuff), (ii) tools that you know are sized to fit the tool roll/saddlebag, and (iii) in one easy motion buying a pretty complete kit, thereby avoiding having to invest the time/effort to determine what you need and then go out and find/assemble everything. For some folks these reasons are *no* reason to buy the BMW kit, however, for others, the convenience is well worth the cost premium -- to each their own.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 1:42 pm

After 30 odd years of bikes, (mostly old British ones, where the tools I took with me nearly outweighed the bike), I have come to the opinion, that on a long trip, the only tools you will need are the ones you don't have with you - for example - I have always carried a puncture repair kit, and (touch wood) have never yet had a puncture (I'll have ruined that now ).

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 15 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 6:08 pm

What's in your Toolkit?

I made my own kit. However you can go to E-bay item # 300034133260 may be of interest to you!

Phil D.
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Another endorsement for the H2W tool roll; enough room for the BMW (full) kit, plus ~25% more room of other essentials, all without the roll growing to obnoxious proportions.

One thought re: the now-must-separately-purchase BMW tool kit -- there's no question that you can buy most of the stuff in that kit cheaper. The main things you're paying for if you pop for the BMW kit are (i) knowledge that the tools are pretty good quality (not pot/scrap metal stuff), (ii) tools that you know are sized to fit the tool roll/saddlebag, and (iii) in one easy motion buying a pretty complete kit, thereby avoiding having to invest the time/effort to determine what you need and then go out and find/assemble everything. For some folks these reasons are *no* reason to buy the BMW kit, however, for others, the convenience is well worth the cost premium -- to each their own.
Mark, if you insist on posting responses like this -- which include excellent tips, good observations, and extra servings of common sense -- I'll have to start paying more attention to you!

Bill, my '05 LT came with what I assume is the "full-size" toolkit. The roll-up pouch was full-to-overflowing with stuff; I don't even know what some of the things are . Maybe I got some of the bits intended for your bike's toolkit! The only things I've added have been odds and ends like tape, extra fuses, and a better tire repair kit. I'm sure I don't carry a lot of what many of you do, but I reeeeeelly don't see myself changing the shocks or rotating the flux capacitor by the side of the road!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 8:21 pm
Prodigal Son

Question Care to elaborate??

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
As in listing what you carry.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 8:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by early1
As in listing what you carry.
Even better, check out Don Arthur's photographic contribution!

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...e=&view=&sb=&o=

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Even better, check out Don Arthur's photographic contribution!

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...=&view=&sb=&o=
Maybe Dr. Don can get all of us some used forceps. I know they'd come in handy.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 10:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Maybe Dr. Don can get all of us some used forceps. I know they'd come in handy.
What?? You all can't just walk into your wife's surgery to pick up a set and a box of exam gloves?

(Yeah, I married well! )

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:20 pm

I have the bmw kit, it sits in my toolbox at home, I P/U an army surplus canvas tool bag and put together a toolkit of my own. a small tip I use is I have a large key ring about 2" in Dia that I have all of my open/box wrenches on so when I grab one I have all off them and just select which one I want and remove it from the ring, cause the one you need is always lost in the botom of the bag. I am not at home at the present or I would show a pic of the kit. I also have some small socket clips that I have my sockets clipped to so they are handy, I have two of them one for torx sockets, and one for allen sockets. If you ask at the local parts store sometimes shoplifters will remove sockets from these and they put them in a bin in the back, you can ask for them, most of the time the employes buy them at a discount. shhhh it is a secret.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #15 of 15 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:22 am

Toolkit Minimalism

I was as dissappointed as a kid on Christmas morning when I opened my "stocking" and all I found was a wire with two eyes (?) a small yellow crappy screwdriver and some fuses. Oh, and a reversible screwdriver - that's about it. My 03 GT tool kit had everything except a hydraulic jack! Some of the things I had no idea what they where for - looked good though!

I have since added the 3 gas bottle puncture repair kit and some torx keys. The best tool in the kit however is the BMW on-call phone number under your seat. It works!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in