cruise control - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

cruise control

Hello
I still have a non functioning cruise control, no red diode! nothing, have checked normal items, no luck, i was wondering if anyone out there might have a copy of the relevant section of a wiring diagram, no wiring diagrams on my workshop CD, forgot its a 2003 k1200lt/se, im in the UK.
Tanks in anticipation.
Regards Stevie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:07 am

Stevie,

Not sure what you have gone through so far (can't remember previous posts) but other than the plug that goes into the cruise control unit and switch on handle bar there is not too much that can just quit (sensors see below). I am sure you have checked the fuse, so I would concentrate on the switch and make sure it is getting power.

If you have run through the basic cruise control test to see if all the sensors are working properly and the cruise light comes on when it should, then it is probably a cable problem. Let me tell you, it can be a B^#@H getting them adjusted right. The adjustment procedure for the cruise cable alone is not the best written and even after confering with a mechanic I still can't get it to do as it should.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:57 am Thread Starter

cruise control

Thanks for reply

There is no SET light on dashboard & the red diode on cruise control switch(left switch assembly ) does not come on, the cruise control is dead!!, there is power at both sides of fuse, the bulb in the dash is not defective (i checked it), all other electrics are functioning correctly,there is power at the cruise control (control box) connection plug, there is power at the clutch switch lead connection (behind headlight, below dash).
I am not a mechanic but i can patiently slug away, but i have run out of ideas, before it is suggested, the cruise control diagnostic procedure to be found on these pages, is only valid if you have a red diode & SET light.
Have checked around for loose leads, dry connections etc, but any suggestions are wellcome.
Before any one says it, it is booked into a dealers on 22/11/06, owing to workshop bookings & work commitments that is the earliest available, but i would rather fix it myself.
Thanks
Stevie

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 1:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Stevie,

Sounds like you have just about eliminated everything except the CC unit itself. Short of inspecting the integrity harness from the controls all the way down to the unit.

The only other thing is that the switch itself has been known to fail so a disassembly of the controls may be in order. (If you can't turn it on you can't test it) There is a little ramp inside there that actuates the on/off switch. Worth a look while you wait for the dealers backlog.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 2:21 pm

Sounds like you have covered it pretty well. Like John says, I'd check the switch there on the handle bar. That would be where I put my $50....Let us know what they find if you don't figure it out before.....

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 8:40 pm

Just a quick question. Have you or the dealer done a fluid replacement in the clutch circuit? The only reason I ask, is if I tighten the screws too tight on the clutch resevior, then I the cruise either drops out or doesn't come on at all. Loosen the screws that hold the cover on about 1/8 of a turn and see what happens. JM2CW.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

cruise control

today i plugged in another cruise control unit, no change, then plugged in different handlebar unit, no change!!, sat down on driveway & wiped away tears, will check on clutch, as per previous post, but it looks like the dealers for the beast.
Regards Stevie
post #8 of 13 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 5:07 pm
DGM

Question

Steve,
I'm not an electrician but I'am a mechanic. Have you checked the micro switches on the clutch,hand brake and foot brake. Any of these will disengage the cruise control.
Just a thought,
Don
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 5:17 pm
DGM

Wink

Steve,
I forgot the side stand switch.

Don
post #10 of 13 Old Oct 10th, 2006, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie1
today i plugged in another cruise control unit, no change, then plugged in different handlebar unit, no change!!, sat down on driveway & wiped away tears, will check on clutch, as per previous post, but it looks like the dealers for the beast.
Regards Stevie
Sorry, I've come into this one late -- the lack of the red LED sez one of two things to me: defective switch on the left grip panel (as others noted above) or a break in the left grip harness. This harness runs down the handlebar, around the steering head, and down into the electrical box under the fuel tank.

Iff'n it were me, I'd pull the tank and (i) do a hand-over-hand check for harness damage, then (ii) open the electrical box and disconnect the left grip panel connector, and probe for continutity on the cruise switch leads as the switch is moved through the off/on/etc. positions.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 11:29 am Thread Starter

cruise control failure.

Hello
Just to update on this thread, have had the diagnostic checks done at the dealers, they have come back with the handlebar switch staying open, removed it this morning & took it to a electronics shop to get it tested, he confirmed that the C/C on/off switch is knackered, this is the round cylinder inside that is operated by the ramped switch, although i tried a different switch previously, in hindsight i only plugged in the cruise section & not the main block, so it would never register anyway!!.
Couple of questions, i have read previously of people who leave the C/C on off switch permanently on, does this cause potential problems?, can it affect the C/C??, if it does not cause any problems, would it be ok to leave the switch permanently live?, ie just join the wires & forget about the broken switch??, does anyone know where the actual round switch can be obtained, a new handlebar multi switch costs around 220=$400, for an item that packs up after 3 years & 22000 miles it is extortionate.
All ideas opinions gratefully recieved
many thanks
Stevie
PS service from dealers (Ocean of Plymouth UK), was excellent, & i was not overcharged, a pleasure to do buisiness with.
post #12 of 13 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 12:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie1
Hello
Couple of questions, i have read previously of people who leave the C/C on off switch permanently on, does this cause potential problems?,
I have a 2000 lt with 70,000 miles on it. I leave the CC switch in the ON position at all times. I never had any problems.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #13 of 13 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 1:13 pm

C/C switch

Stevie

You could try Motorworks, Motobins or James Sherlock. They all do 2nd hand spares

Graham

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in