How to ?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

How to ??

Yep, second day after getting it home was showing off the hydraulic center stand on a not level service.. rolled it off the stand and over to the right she went...

[email protected]#$!#%

The chrome on the rear bag is scratched pretty good. I have ordered the rubber bumpers for both sides. May not look great but at $120.00 a pop on the plasitic chrome strip that may be a good $30.00 spent...

So what do you need to to do to take the chrome strip off? Peel it from the middle with your fingures???

Thanks

Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 3:58 pm

Sorry to here about the tumble over. I think you need to use a heat gun and warm them up a bit to loosen the adhesive. Your not the first this happened to so someone will chime in soon with what they had to do.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 4:28 pm

You can use a hair dryer or a heat gun (VERY carefully with the heat gun) to lossen the adhesive. You can take a piece of fishing filiment and slip it under the chrome piece and carefully work your way forward until the piece is free.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 4:57 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman858
You can use a hair dryer or a heat gun (VERY carefully with the heat gun) to lossen the adhesive. You can take a piece of fishing filiment and slip it under the chrome piece and carefully work your way forward until the piece is free.
You need to heat it from the inside with a hairdryer - don't want to mess up the paint. Dental floss apparently works as well.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 5:48 pm

Gene,
Sorry to hear about that, but unfortunately it happens to the best. I don't mean to read more into your post than you state, but unless you ordered new chrome also, you don't need to take the chrome strips off. The rubber protective pieces that I purchased simply stick to the chrome trim with two sided tape. Or did you purchase non-chrome replacements?

http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetai...060_SCT&cat=10

Last edited by Sunderland; Oct 2nd, 2006 at 6:12 pm.
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:58 pm

Dropped mine on a slight down grade, pealed the chrome of the formerly chrome piece. Replace the formerly chromed piece with a hair dryer and dental floss, I then added the BMR rubber. I have received a lot of compliments on how good it looks.

Rusty Snyder
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 4:12 am

Mine fell forward on the kick stand on a slope some time ago. I also bought the BMR strips. Can't even notice they are there unless you look with a magnifier. No chrome strip removal is necessary.
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the advice on removing the original chrome. I ordered a replacement chrome piece from the dealer as well as the rubber 'bumpers' from BRM. Expensive lesson on the weight difference from the HD Road King. Other than at a stop or stopping I have found the LT to feel more nimble and actually easier and more fun to manuever on the road.

Guess I will work out with some weights to build muscles for the tense moments.....

This my first BMW. Have been on a RK for the past 6 years and am very happy over the choice of the K1200LT vs the Ultra (never really considered a GW). I now have a bike on which the brakes actually work.... Was also suprised as to the comfort of the stock seat.

Gene
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 7th, 2006, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

Just to report the operation was a success!! BMW does stick that plastic on tight though.

I realy appreciate your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in