Newb with questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:22 am Thread Starter

Newb with questions

Hi everyone!

I've been running an ad to sell my current bike, a 2004 Hayabusa. Loved it, but my body can't take the riding position any more.

Anyway, a person sent me an email asking if I would consider a trade. That person wants to trade his/her 1999 K1200LT. At first I wasn't too keen on the idea, but now it is kind of intriguing.

I don't know anything about the bike, except that the owner claims it to be in pristine condition.

I want to look at it in the next few days and I was hoping that some of you might tell me what to look out for when I see it.

I also don't know how many miles are on the bike, so I would like to know what would be considered a high-mileage bike, assuming regular maintenance has been performed.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:36 am

Why not see if one of the members here lives near you and see if they can tag along.

Got an idea of what your 'Busa's worth? I think '99s in good shape low miles are in the $8K range, maybe a little less.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 4:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Got an idea of what your 'Busa's worth? I think '99s in good shape low miles are in the $8K range, maybe a little less.
Nice examples with low miles are going for around $8,500. Mine is a 2004 model with 5,200 miles. I'm asking a little less. The BMW owner has offered his bike and cash in trade.

I just talked with the LT owner and he seems like an up-front kind of guy. He's the second owner. Has all of the previous owner's service records as well as his own. All service performed by BMW. Mileage is 47k. Seems like a lot, but that is why I previously asked what would be considered a high-mileage bike.

The bike is reportedly in showroom condition with all options. Of course, as with all transportation issues, the most important question is the color. Is maroon the fastest color?

I guess I want to know how dependable the bike will be with that many miles. Are there some issues I should know about? Some recall work or TSB's that should be addressed?

Thanks again!

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 6:06 pm

47k is nothing

A well maintained bike with 47 K miles is just getting broken in good..
There are several here who have neared the 200 k marks with their bikes..

I just did my 42K and then rode from OKC to Braselton GA and back...
Didn't have to do a thing......just ride and gas and have fun..

Ride the bike. And if it's anything like mine, You'll fall in love.....Take the wife along... She'll final the decision..

Wives sell more of these bikes than anyone else...The S/O just has to take one ride and it's a done deal..

Good Luck..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
Ride the bike. And if it's anything like mine, You'll fall in love.....Take the wife along... She'll final the decision..

Wives sell more of these bikes than anyone else...The S/O just has to take one ride and it's a done deal..

Good Luck..

John
Dang.

I may have a problem.

I'm not married.

Can you pick up chicks on these things?
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob
Dang.

I may have a problem.

I'm not married.

In that case, you prolly should be looking at a K1200 GT

FWIW, I paid a little more than today's KBB price on the road for a '99 LT with a few extras on it with 19.1K miles on it.

Prakash Krishnamurthy

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #7 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 6:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashd
In that case, you prolly should be looking at a K1200 GT
Actually, my plan was to replace the Busa with a new GT in a year or so. Seems to be a really sweet sport tourer. However, this opportunity came to my attention, so I thought I would come to the experts and ask. I figure I could do a couple of years on the LT if it suits me.
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 7:52 pm

'Ya Gotta Go Ride it!

Bob,

I really believe that 'ya just need to go ride that sucker. They really are amazing bikes. I was never a BMW guy and then I rode my 2001 LT with 39,000 miles and wow...I was hooked. I have ridden all kinds of bikes over many years, but never have I enjoyed riding like I do on the LT.

And...I concur, 42k is not a lot of mileage. They start to break in good around 60k. Please post again if you get the chance to ride it. Oh yeah...one more suggestion. The bike will be brand-new (to you) and it takes some time to get used to the controls and inherant characteristics of the bike. Ride it for awhile...once you relax, it's absolutely the best. God bless!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 5:26 am

Quote:
Dang.

I may have a problem.

I'm not married.

Best babe magnet I've ever had. 18 to 80, they all look at it and smile.

Anthracite is the sexiest color. Fastest too.

B D R
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 6:19 am Thread Starter

I've read that some people have had problems with the driveshaft/final drive gears/bearings. Is this a common problem?
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 6:56 am

Although I had some early warranty issues with my 02 LTC, it has been very reliable. I did have a fuel QD break on the way home from a trip a couple months ago...

I got my bike late Oct 02 so most all of the mileage is from the spring of 03 on....showing over 76k at the moment.

My SO won't give this bike up, not even for a new one. I did some upgrades of course, shocks are the most important next to the headlamp (put HID in for low beam, big diff)...ohlins are still amazing, although I'm sure they need rebuilt by now.

Girls love this bike...don't ask me why, but they do. I get requests for rides all the time and my buddie's gal wants me to sell 'em the bike

Kids are even more amazing...they'd walk right by my FZ1 yamaha without a glance, straight to the LT! Don't ask me...different generation I guess

I must say though, with the k1200S in indigo blue/white in teh stable now, I haven't seen too many people walk by that one yet without taking a closer look! Including me, I'm just getting around 100 miles on it.

good luck on your decision....geo
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 8:24 am

Quote:
I've read that some people have had problems with the driveshaft/final drive gears/bearings. Is this a common problem?
Final drive bearing failure is a problem but a hit-or-miss one. Some folks have had it fail (friend of mine had a failure a couple of months ago) and some never had any problem. "Common" might not be exactly the right word for it, but the potential is there and it is something you should closely monitor. Change the rear drive oil (and inspect the oil) each time you change the motor oil and it'll help you stay on top of potential problems. Cheaper if you catch it early.
Don't let it be something that puts you off the bike. It's a great machine!

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #13 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Well, I met up with the LT owner today. We met at a half-way point, each bringing our bikes. The LT was pretty. It was that kind of sand-beige color. Reasonably nice cosmetically, a few nicks here and there, mostly around the luggage. It had an aftermarket pipe.

So we traded bikes and went for a test ride. Right away I noticed a sound that concerned me. On decel, the bike would make a kind mechanical grinding noise that seemed to come from the area of the engine. I could feel the vibration it made in the handlebars as well. Additionally, there seemed to be a dead spot in the throttle in low rpm's. Very noticeable.

When we got back from our ride, I mentioned my concerns to the owner and he said that he hadn't noticed. We talked about letting the BMW dealer check it out. Finally, he asked what kind of deal would I be willing to make. I mentioned that the deal he offered in his email would be acceptable if the bike checked out ok. He quickly stated that that offer was meant for someone else and he wasn't willing to trade bikes +cash. I said that under those conditions I couldn't consider a trade.

Just as well. I think there was something very wrong with the bike and I wouldn't have been very happy with it if it had a major problem.

I appreciate all of your advice. This seems to be a very friendly site. I hope someday I'll be able to join the board as new BMW owner (K1200GT)!
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 9:08 am

Don't give up. It took me five months to find the right bike and now there is no looking back. I wanted one soooo bad that I would wake up at night thinking about it. I had many doubts about which one and then finally one fell right in my lap. The owner was only 200 miles away from me and I talked with him on the phone quite a few times. I felt very comfortable with him and I never even saw the bike until I met him to make the deal.
Give it time and it will happen.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in