Radio problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 5:44 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Radio problem

I've tried searching w/o success. The buttons on top of the tank light up if I push the,"on" button, but nothing else happens. No sound, not even anything showing on the screen.
This started when I tried to set the stations for what I like to hear. When I would try my pre-sets, they would revert back to what was set-up before I bought the '05 LT. Eventually, the battery was losing power so I put a BMW(gel) charger in the power point and called it a night. The next day I removed the charger and tried to set the stations again. This time when I pushed the "on" button, nothing showed up on the screen in the radio section, just the buttons on top of the tank lit up.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 6:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz56
I've tried searching w/o success. The buttons on top of the tank light up if I push the,"on" button, but nothing else happens. No sound, not even anything showing on the screen.
This started when I tried to set the stations for what I like to hear. When I would try my pre-sets, they would revert back to what was set-up before I bought the '05 LT. Eventually, the battery was losing power so I put a BMW(gel) charger in the power point and called it a night. The next day I removed the charger and tried to set the stations again. This time when I pushed the "on" button, nothing showed up on the screen in the radio section, just the buttons on top of the tank lit up.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
When you tried the radio in the morning, did you turn on the ignition? On my bike, a quick flick of the ignition to ON is required to get the radio to know it's "ok" to turn on (apparently, it resets the auto shut-off timer, enabling radio operation). If that's not it, post more symptoms/clues for us!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 2:01 am Thread Starter

Radio problem

Sorry it took me so long to get back, after all it's my question. All I know is:
1. The radio worked when I bought the bike.
2. I didn't like what the pre-set stations were set at.
3. I tried to re-set the stations w/o success. Maybe I didn't do correctly,
not sure.
4. Battery was getting low from all my attemps to change the station pre-
sets. I plugged in a BMW charger(gel), and charged overnight.
5. Next morning I turned the bike on and tried again. Nothing indicated on
screen for radio. Even tried after starting the bike, still nothing.
6. Frustrated, went for a ride. I don't use the radio much, but once in
I do. Plus it is a feature of the LT, so it's supposed to work.

Mark, I tried your suggestion but nothing changed. If the tank lights didn't come on I would think it's a fuse, but they do light up when I try to turn the radio on. I'm not mechanically inclined so maybe I'm just overlooking something simple, ( I hope).

thanks,

Jeff

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 4:15 am

Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, then re-connect it - the sound system gets confused occasionally.

After you have re connected the battery, turn the ignition on, then slowly open the throttle fully twice(twist the twist grip all the way round) - this resets the ECU. Good Luck.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 6th, 2006, 12:43 am Thread Starter

radio problem: solved

Thanks Brian! I disconnected the battery as instucted before around 4:30 pm(cst) before going to see Aerosmith & Motley Crue in concert. At 12:30 am I reconnected the battery, turned on the ignition, rolled the throttle all the way 4 times, and then the radio came on. I have to go for now but I'll be back to search for the best way to set the stations for what I want to hear.

Thanks Again,

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in