Bleeding brakes on 2002 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 6:17 pm Thread Starter

Bleeding brakes on 2002 LT

I tried flushing the brake fluid in my LT this afternoon, but cannot get any fluid out of the front master cylinder. Fluid did come out of the caliper using a vacuum bleeder but now I have no pressure in front or rear brakes. I have bled brakes many times in cars and did it on my 01 RT. Why am I having trouble with the LT?

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 8:15 pm

The brakes on the 2002 and latter LTs are rather special. And, unlike ANY brakes many of us have worked on in the past. There are wheel circuits, control circuits and others that DO NOT lend themselves to normal bleeding.

Attached is a .doc and a PDF. You should read both of these. However, you may be screwed already.

Sorry.
Attached Files
File Type: doc BrakeReNew.doc (275.0 KB, 267 views)
File Type: pdf BMW ABS.pdf (75.6 KB, 642 views)

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Averill

I appreciate you responding to my dilemma.

I read over some of the brake related material on this site and prior to seeing your response discovered that the rear reservoir for the back master cylinder has two chambers, one behind the other. When you bleed the front wheel brakes, the fluid seems to come out of this back rear reservoir chamber. When I filled it, I was able to draw fluid out of the front calipers. I also found that just pulling on the front brake lever a little seem to charge the system. I read that from another person on this site. I also bled the abs chamber I think it is called. There are two "nipples" there one can open.

Anyway, I was able to flush the system, bleed the front and back brake calipers and after a test ride everything seems fine. The warning lights do not come on anymore. I notice a "click" sound when I activate the brakes. I was in the driveway and didn't have my helmet on, so perhaps that noise I hear is normal?

By the way, I am a retired professor of horticulture. One of my specialties was horticultural therapy. I am presently doing substitute teaching in the Bay Area of California.

Frank Gibbons

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:48 pm

You can find a description of the *4* separate fluid circuits in the Integral/EVO brake system here: http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

Allow me to respectfully suggest that, given the potential consequences, you not try to further bleed the system until you have a better understanding of the system -- these are not "conventional" motorcycle brakes.

Please let us know if you have any follow-up Qs!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:58 pm Thread Starter

OK, Mark, I'll take your advice. I am going to finish putting the fairings back on tomorrow and take it for a test ride. Hopefully, it will be fine. I cannot seem to get to that attachment you referenced. I'll try again later.

Frank
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdgibbons
I cannot seem to get to that attachment you referenced.
I've attached a copy to this post -- hopefully available to you now!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Integral_Pump_Unit_Ver._1.0.doc (275.0 KB, 126 views)

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:19 pm Thread Starter

I read the attachment and wish I had seen it before attempting to bleed the brakes. They do seem to be working, but are you saying that even though the warning lights do not come on during operation, that they could still have air in the lines or are not working as good as they should?

It sounds like I had better take it in for a check. One of the reasons I flushed the system was because the warning light kept coming on in the morning when I first started out. After I had ridden for a while, it stopped coming on. Also in the afternoon, when the weather was warmer, the light would not come on.

Frank
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 6:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdgibbons
I read the attachment and wish I had seen it before attempting to bleed the brakes. They do seem to be working, but are you saying that even though the warning lights do not come on during operation, that they could still have air in the lines or are not working as good as they should?

It sounds like I had better take it in for a check. One of the reasons I flushed the system was because the warning light kept coming on in the morning when I first started out. After I had ridden for a while, it stopped coming on. Also in the afternoon, when the weather was warmer, the light would not come on.

Frank
Good morning, Frank --

The good news is that your system is probably fine. However, if it were me, I'd take it to the dealer to have them run a quick diagnostic on the GT1 (Group Tester 1), mainly to ensure it passes the portions of the test which check how quickly the Integral pumps raise pressure -- the best test as to whether you got all the air out. Pass that test, and you can rest easy; otherwise it may be ok -- but you'll always be wondering The peace of mind is what you're buying if you get charged for the test.

On the flashing lights, you described the classic symptoms of a low rear reservoir level. As the pads wear, the level drops. At some point it gets low enough to always trip the warning lights. Between that point and the "ok" level, the level passes through a range where when it's cold, the lights go off and when it's warm, they don't (thermal expansion of the fluid).

So now you know -- next time you get the lights, you should check the rear half of the dual rear reservoir first!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 6:21 am

That's a standard indication that cooler mornings are here. I've found that temperature can have an influence on the hydraulic fluid and the sensors that trigger the lights. Flashing lights on the way to work and back to normal lights on the way home. If the fluid level is close to the minimum on my 03 LT I get the same thing. Topping off the reservoir will take care of the lights.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Mark and Bill,

The problem is, I didn't know about that "hidden reservoir". I knew about the one on the handlebar and finally found the one just inside the right saddlebag. I talked to a parts guy about getting new pads on the front and told him about the light flashing. He said it was probably either a low battery or old brake fluid.

Oh well, live and learn. I have certainly learned a lot on this experience.

I took it out for a longer test ride this afternoon and again the brakes seem to work fine without any warning lights. Tomorrow I ride it to work.

I do plan to take it into a dealer and have them check the brakes.

Frank
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 9:35 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Do yourself a big favor and buy a maintenance manual for the LT. Either the official BMW manual, or the new Clymer version. It is invaluable if you plan on doing any more work on the bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in