Throttle Cable Adjustment Problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

Throttle Cable Adjustment Problems

I have an 02 LTE and had been experiencing problems with my CC not engaging. Sometimes it would shut off also when I was riding with it on and engaged. So, after reading some information on this site and looking at the service manual, I am attempting to adjust the cables without any success.

I am now trying to remove the cable cover near the grip (it has one screw that supposedly holds it on). I have removed that screw and am unable to remove the cover. Something is holding it on and for the life of me I cannot figure out what.

Any suggestions as to how to remove and also about the cable adjusting.

Thanks for any suggestions,

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 5:23 pm

Thumbs up pull down

remove screw, pull down and remove it from between the throttle tube and switch housing.

However, if you want to make adjustments to the CC cable, you're working on the wrong end of the cable.

Good luck...............I've found the Clymer manual to be a great asset to working on my '03 LT.

Please note:::I've not actually performed the CC adjustment.............I've just read through it. It's do-able but with precision care!

Just my .02

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Throttle Cable Adjustment

Thanks Vern for the reply.

I have removed the screw and still am unable to remove it from between the throttle tube and switch housing. I pull down on it as indicated and it still feels as though something is holding it. I fear giving it too much force for the possibility of breaking the part.

I do have the BMW shop manual on CD as well as the Clymer manual. I am using the Clymer as my guide and its not going as well as I would like.

I might just end up buying new cables and replacing these. I have loosened and tightened these and don't know what ramifications there could be on the integrity of the cables.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 8:52 pm

Sorry

James,
Sorry I wasn't more help.

New cables sounds good too.

Good luck.....................the guru's will soon give you good advice. They did me on a couple of problems.

Carry on!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 5:17 am

There is a very small philips screw in the very front/top of the housing just below the emergency shut/off button. Did you get that one? The only part of the cable housing that will come off is the outer part; the inner part is screwed into the handle grip housing near the twist grip. The only way to remove the inner part without removing the grip is to cut it off. Don't recommend this unless you have the '05 retrofit adapter.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 7:04 am

Your situation sounds a bit like mine was. It could be that the cable is chaffing and needs to be replaced. I barely made it home before mine broke. Mine was feeling stiff the morning before it broke and the CC wouldn't work properly. Once I removed the little part to see the cable I could see that it was shot. A pull on the cable and it snapped. I would just plan on upgrading the cables and be done with it.
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Throttle Cable Adjustment

Thanks Vern.

Chuck, I removed the small screw below the emergency shut/off button and still the same situation.

I will keep trying. Something's got to give and it wont be me.

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 5:04 pm

Jim: I just went out into the garage to look at mine. There are 2 phillips screws recessed underneath holding the bottom plastic and side pieces in place. Remove the screws in the bottom. Pry the bottom piece off and the outer plastic and top cover should pop off. These snap back in place as I remember. I replaced the throttle cables in the Spring after mine broke.

Another thing to check is the cable routing; make sure that nothing is binding the cables tight against the frame i.e. wire ties for light accessories etc.

Good Luck

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #9 of 9 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 5:53 am Thread Starter

Smile Throttle Cable Adjustment

Thanks Chuck for the advice. I found the two screws you are referring to and the piece removed easily.

Thanks again!

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
River Oaks, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in