Busted Rear Drive - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Busted Rear Drive

On my drive last friday from Ohio to Maryland, my rear drive started sounding like I just put stones in my kitchen blender. Luckily this happened about 10 miles from home so I rode it about 10mph the rest of the way, parked it in the garage and there it sits. It peed all over my floor some foul smelling oil and I think brake fluid also. Two questions:

Is this something I can fix myself with standard tools (i.e. no BMW specialty tools) - or is it better just to rip off the drive and take it to the dealer? And has anyone posted a detailed guide for doing this (I didn't see one)?

Thanks - Jack
2000 K1200LT (slightly hurt)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 4:25 pm

Red face

Unless you have a press or bearing warmer and some cool tools then your stuck with the dealer.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 5:07 pm

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs5166
On my drive last friday from Ohio to Maryland, my rear drive started sounding like I just put stones in my kitchen blender. Luckily this happened about 10 miles from home so I rode it about 10mph the rest of the way, parked it in the garage and there it sits. It peed all over my floor some foul smelling oil and I think brake fluid also. Two questions:

Is this something I can fix myself with standard tools (i.e. no BMW specialty tools) - or is it better just to rip off the drive and take it to the dealer? And has anyone posted a detailed guide for doing this (I didn't see one)?

Thanks - Jack
2000 K1200LT (slightly hurt)
It's a dealer fix. Depending on what is damaged, it can be fixed while still on the bike, so I'd save yourself some work and haul the whole bike to the dealer.

That's how they fixed my '03 final drive.

I had no damage to the gears ..just the bearing and seals. Went back once shortly after the fix to replace the pinched "O" ring between the 2 halves of the final drive.

Most shops can do the fix while you wait............most of one day if no parts needed to be ordered.

Just my experience with the fix!

I'm sure you'll get more ideas from the board. These guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 6:07 pm

Quote:
...Is this something I can fix myself with standard tools (i.e. no BMW specialty tools) - or is it better just to rip off the drive and take it to the dealer? And has anyone posted a detailed guide for doing this (I didn't see one)?
Heh Jack, sorry to hear about your FD. Bummer.

Anyway, wilbar00c (aka: Barrnett Black) on this board just replaced his preemptively. Barrnett's an engineer and did it meticulously. I'm sure he would share his experience and knowledge.

You might want to send him a PM! Couldn't hurt.

Also, as a bit of additional background for you from someone else who figured it out, I have attached a post (PDF) talking about an emergency FD repair on a RT - Very similar.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RT Final Drive.pdf (123.2 KB, 98 views)

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #5 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 7:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Heh Jack, sorry to hear about your FD. Bummer.

Anyway, wilbar00c (aka: Barrnett Black) on this board just replaced his preemptively. Barrnett's an engineer and did it meticulously. I'm sure he would share his experience and knowledge.

You might want to send him a PM! Couldn't hurt.

Also, as a bit of additional background for you from someone else who figured it out, I have attached a post (PDF) talking about an emergency FD repair on a RT - Very similar.
Thanks for the PDF! After reading through that, I am tempted to try to fix it myself. It sounds like the biggest issue is getting the bearings out and in with heat/cold. I keep hearing about the new bearing with 17 balls. Does this fix the problem forever?

Thanks again - Jack
2000 K1200LT
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 7:58 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the PDF! After reading through that, I am tempted to try to fix it myself. It sounds like the biggest issue is getting the bearings out and in with heat/cold. I keep hearing about the new bearing with 17 balls. Does this fix the problem forever?

Thanks again - Jack
2000 K1200LT
Man o' man! Is that a can-O'-worms! The 17 ball unit MAY have been replaced by a newer, redesigned 19 ball unit. A few listers have ordered the part number for the 17 ball replacement, only to have a 19 show up! They were then told by the dealer that what is available.

The real deal is that None of us...repeat, NONE has a diffinitive answer to the failure / replacement / reason scenario. (And, BMW is NOT talking!)

This only affects a rather (cough, cough, choke...) SMALL percentage of bikes. But, for those that are affected, it is a real pain.

My FD bearing was replaced 25,000 miles ago with a 17 ball unit (after an accident - NOT a failure). I will ride till it fails and then replace it with whatever is available.

If my bike were out of warranty, I would first attempt a DIY repair.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver

post #7 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the PDF! I keep hearing about the new bearing with 17 balls. Does this fix the problem forever?

Thanks again - Jack
2000 K1200LT

That was supposed to be the fix... However 17 ball bearing I hear are not available and they have gone back to suppling 19 ball bearings on new orders and in new bikes.. The failure rate has gone way down since 2003 bikes.. probably was a manufacturing change or change in install procedure.. IMHO

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
That was supposed to be the fix... However 17 ball bearing I hear are not available and they have gone back to suppling 19 ball bearings on new orders and in new bikes.. The failure rate has gone way down since 2003 bikes.. probably was a manufacturing change or change in install procedure.. IMHO
Hey, you guys are scaring me! To state the incredibly obvious, shouldn't we expect clear answers from BMW? Is there any way to ask them directly? Do they have a rep attending this forum?

I was very lucky that my rear drive failed so close to home. A few hours before I was in the wilderness of West Virginia. Beautiful place, but I'd hate to spend a weekend there by the side of the road.

-- Jack
2000 K1200LT
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 9:49 am

Directions look easy enough. But wasn't there a debate about Preload? Original shims with a new bearing may not result in proper preload? I have seen posting s that mention something like this.
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:14 am

How many miles on you bike when the RD failed? Do you tow a trailer? Ride 2-up mostly? Any other history on your bike that could make sense of this prob?

chris k
N Kentucky
2002 LTE "Matilda"
1985 Goldwing
1986 Suzuki GS650
2002 Jeep Wrangler
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
How many miles on you bike when the RD failed? Do you tow a trailer? Ride 2-up mostly? Any other history on your bike that could make sense of this prob?
None of these seem to matter. It is most likely an assembly error, bearing manufacture issue or bike tolerance situation. Miles, type of lube, trailer or not, load, all these do not seem to matter.

A scatter chart shows LTs failing from under 2000 miles to over 96,000 miles!

Most failures have occured to older bikes. 99s, 00s, 01s, some 02s. Very few 03s to 06s. The problem is less frequent - BUT, not gone.

Besides the stop-gap 17 ball unit, there have undoubtably been other behind the scene process and/or manufacturing changes made as well.

Also, this bearing is used on RTs, GSs, and others. They have had failures as well. The new GS (for 05) even came with a sealed FD unit! LOL!!

The LT's weight may exascerbate the issue... but, the problem is a bit of a mystery!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver

post #12 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:36 am

Quote:
Hey, you guys are scaring me! To state the incredibly obvious, shouldn't we expect clear answers from BMW? Is there any way to ask them directly? Do they have a rep attending this forum?

I was very lucky that my rear drive failed so close to home. A few hours before I was in the wilderness of West Virginia. Beautiful place, but I'd hate to spend a weekend there by the side of the road.

-- Jack
2000 K1200LT
Almost every owner has lamented about this problem. It seems to be prevalent with some owners and others don't have the problem or haven't had it yet. It's impossible to tell or know because we don't have enough of information. We do have enough data to know that there is a marked decrease in failures after a some build date in 2003. There are some surveys in the forum that will provide some documentation to confirm that.

The emergence of the 17 ball bearing was thought to be a fix but that has gone away also. If the manufacturing process has gone back to the 19 ball bearing they must have made an adjustment to the process that sets the bearing originally. If the failure rate is markedly improved they may have the fix. Unfortunately they are not sharing the fix. IMHO.. the bottom line is.. by not sharing the fix they are not admitting they have a wholesale problem.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:53 am

Sorry to hear about your rear end.

This has happened to many on this site.

Many times, people replace the rear drive, instead of trying to fix it.

If you go that far, look at the threads on drilling a weep hole in your trany.

Bob
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 5:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
I have about 74K on the bike - only 5K of those are mine since I just got it at the beginning of the summer. As far as I know it's never pulled a trailer and I believe it's been taken care of fairly carefully.

Thanks - Jack
2000 K1200LT
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 5:21 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Sorry to hear about your rear end.

This has happened to many on this site.

Many times, people replace the rear drive, instead of trying to fix it.

If you go that far, look at the threads on drilling a weep hole in your trany.

Bob
Thanks - I'll take a look. I started working on it last night and plan to take lots of pictures while I do it. Worse case is that I get to a point where I feel I'm over my head and throw it in a box and take it to the dealer.

-- Jack
2000 K1200LT (on the mend)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in