Cost of services Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:57 am Thread Starter

Cost of services Question

This might be the wrong forum, but wanted to see what others have experienced for cost of their 12K services. I called to make an appointment and was given a $700 price for this service. Not sure this is parts and labor but expect that it is.

When I bought the bike I had the service manager give me the future costs of services and was given something more like $400. Just wondered if costs have gone up that much or just where I might take it here in Texas for better rates?

Thanks,

N7ULC (Floyd)

N7ULC - Texas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 11:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7ULC
This might be the wrong forum, but wanted to see what others have experienced for cost of their 12K services. I called to make an appointment and was given a $700 price for this service. Not sure this is parts and labor but expect that it is.

When I bought the bike I had the service manager give me the future costs of services and was given something more like $400. Just wondered if costs have gone up that much or just where I might take it here in Texas for better rates?

Thanks,

N7ULC (Floyd)
There are different services.

The 6k is a glorified oil change (engine, engine filter, tranny, final drive).

The 12k is much more involved, requiring removal of tupperware, seat frame and fuel tank to get to the air filter (a 12K item), as well as the left subframe to remove the valve cover to check valve clearances. If clearances are off, the cam for that valve's bank has to be removed (not a big deal, but additional work). And at a 24k service, add in the work to remove the fuel pump/filter assembly from the fuel tank to replace the fuel filter.

Separate from the 6k and 12k services, there are periodic (independent of mileage) items -- coolant change, brake fluid change, clutch fluid change -- each of which will be done/charged separately.

You might want to ask your service manager about the difference as compared with what you were initially told; I expect he'll tell you he was quoting the 6k service (if so, he really should have given you a heads-up on the 12k costs!). As to reasonability, sorry, I can't comment on the costs of each service in your market, as there's considerable variation between the markets (e.g., differences in tech pay and overhead costs in San Francisco vs. Iowa). Your neighbors can chime in on your local specifics and their recommendations.

Better idea: Find someone in your area that's having a service party, or would be willing to come over or host you to do your service -- it's really not hard, and you'll learn *lots* about what's under the skin. As a preview, check out the Oil Change 101 article in the Articles section.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 12:12 pm

Mark,

I don't even see the tranny or rear end oil change on the 6k. It looked to me like an oil change and some other minor stuff (lubing the kick stand and what not). Was there a suggestion to change the transmission and final gear drive at 6k as well?

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowoc
Mark,

I don't even see the tranny or rear end oil change on the 6k. It looked to me like an oil change and some other minor stuff (lubing the kick stand and what not). Was there a suggestion to change the transmission and final gear drive at 6k as well?
You're absolutely right! I've been changing the tranny and final drive at 6K intervals (personal preference) for so long, I forgot that they were 12K items -- thanks for the reminder.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:41 am

I think it depends greatly on what geographic area you are in . My last couple of each were about 6K--$200, 12K--$600, but have read of prices lower and much higher.

Gary T
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by N7ULC

Thanks,

N7ULC (Floyd)
In Aug. of this year my dealers price was $569.56 + tax...but be SURE to have them print out the mnt. schedule as there are many items with an ** that denote extra charge ie: tupperware removal, non and non scheduled parts and fluid replacement like gearbox, rear wheel, fuel filter and chain tensioner rail liner COULD be extra.Summarizing, know EXACTLY what you are going to pay for beforehand to eliminate misunderstandings.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 9:06 am

12K MaxBMW in capital distric NY

My 12K statement came to 701.80
subtract 100 for pickup and delivery Door to Door
subtract the 82.00 for the 8 spark plugs that were not needed but was billed then refunded

total labor 385
parts 128
tax 56

total 570 for service

bike gone for week

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

Last edited by tobiwan; Oct 2nd, 2006 at 9:16 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in