Waht about seat height?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Waht about seat height??

I am shopping for a new bike and spent the day looking at BMW's, particularly the K1200LT. While seated on the bike, I could touch both feet to the floor, but only on my toes. I could not touch the floor flat footed. According to the salesman, that was because their was a higher seat on the bike and with the standard seat this would not be a problem. I have a 29" inseam. Will I be able to touch the ground flat footed with a standard seat?? Are their any other options to facilitate this??

Thanks for your help.

Mark Hagy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 8:35 pm

Was the seat set in the low or high position? Was the rear suspension set light or stiff? Was the bike on the center stand or were you holding it up with your feet and legs? Was the seat a BMW stock seat or something else? Sit on a bike that will be just like yours, or preferably sit on the bike you will actually be riding prior to buying anything!

Happy hunting.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Did the seat have a stiched pattern in it? if so that was the comfort seat, a little thicker. If the seat was smooth then it was the stock seat. Either seat has an adjuster under it so it has two postions. The seat could have been on high. Go back and lift up the seat and you will see the adjuster. I have a 30" inseam and have taken the adjuster out and lowered the seat another inch.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Smile 30" inseam here too

I have a 30" inseam, stock heated seat with the adjuster removed(easy to do, as it just pops right out) and I have no trouble reaching the ground to support myself at stops and walking the bike backwards in reverse.

Of course at most stops, I have my left foot touch the ground while my right foot is appying the rear brake. I had to learn to do that on this LT the hard way. Ugh!

As stated above, fit the bike you'll actually ride, then you know! Lots of different things to try to make your feet hit the ground! Happy hunting!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 14th, 2006, 10:51 pm

Does removing the adjuster lower the seat?

"I have a 30" inseam, stock heated seat with the adjuster removed(easy to do, as it just pops right out)"

What is the advantage of removing the adjuster? Does it lower the seat?

Thanks!
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 2:36 pm

Thumbs up Yep, it lowers the seat!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWprofessor
"I have a 30" inseam, stock heated seat with the adjuster removed(easy to do, as it just pops right out)"

What is the advantage of removing the adjuster? Does it lower the seat?

Thanks!

Sure does lower the seat about another 1/2 inch or so. You need to adjust the latch too.
Make sure there isn't any wires etc in the way between the seat and the frame. You can gain a little more by removing the rubber bumbers on the frame too, but I don't recommend that as it might make it noisy.

Any more lowering will require cutting away some of the side panels.

Good luck!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 4:17 pm
Gold Supporter

You planning on riding it or walking it around?

BMW makes a lower seat as does Corbin and some other aftermarket seats that will drop it down quite a bit for you. Not sure how much the BMW seat drops you, but I know the Corbin drops almost another inch, which may not sound like much until you set on it. Good luck!!!

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #8 of 8 Old Oct 15th, 2006, 9:27 pm

I have the BMW lowered seat on my '03 and it drops me 1.5" which includes the modification to adapt the seat. One of the mods is to remove the adjuster as was said. So, that probably gives the .5", the seat does the rest of the inch.. I have a 30" inseam and I can stand flat footed if and when it is necessary. But, it usually isn't. I often will have one foot on the brake while the other foot is on the ground.

Sure made the bike alot easier for me to handle .... But, it is not as comfortable because it must have less padding. After about 100 miles, I have to stop and take a butt break. But, I can ride 500 mile days stopping every 100 miles or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in