Brand New 2006 K1200LT Owner - Very Sad! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Red face Brand New 2006 K1200LT Owner - Very Sad!

After saving for this bike for so long, I thought it would be delivered complete. How could I have been so naive? First, I'm still waiting for the GPS since early September when I signed the deal. Secondly, I'm riding around without a glove compartment lid that closes...the dealer has no connecting cord for my Verizon Razr phone (which was promised me), only one ear in the comm system works, and the sound through the speakers is of much less quality than the 2000LT that I owned. I would have rescheduled everything if I knew that the navigator would take a month to recieve (still haven't gotten it!). I wasn't told this!

Why wouldn't I think it would be available upon delivery? If I had been told the complete TRUTH from the beggining, things would have been done differently. Like not purchasing the bike right now at all. It's the most painful and regretted $25,000 that I have ever spent in my life, and BMW has only impressed upon me the fact that is stands for the epitomy of deception in advertising and the keeping of their promises AFTER the sale. Sorry to ramble, but this bike costs about half my salary - I shouldn't have to experience this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 11:58 am

Find a nice twisty road and take the bike for a long ride .... I guarantee you will feel much better. My friends Wing has been in the shop for two weeks waiting for an oxygen sensor that was supposed to be there overnight. Unfortunately things happen.
post #3 of 42 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 11:59 am

Sorry to heat about your troubles. What dealer did you buy from?

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 42 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 12:39 pm

Sorry for your troubles, I would be upset too. Hopefully, SOMEONE will step up tot he plate and get it all fixed for you so you can enjoy everything promised. If BMW sold cars the same way, they'd be laughed out of town.

Rando
post #5 of 42 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 1:43 pm

This sucks! You should not have to pay that much money for the frustration. Who is your dealer??????

Jim in GA

post #6 of 42 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Talking

It's a motorcycle. Just Ride it The electronic toys are just fluff, and will be fixed, so why not enjoy the great machine and save yourself the aggravation.

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
post #7 of 42 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 1:51 pm
BMW Guru

The free GPS was a direct promotion from BMW. The unit should arrive at the dealership any time. Have the glove box fixed when you have your next service.

Go for a ride and don't sweat the small stuff. Life is too short...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #8 of 42 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Those things are very frustrating, you need to go for a ride and try to forget it. Welcome, it will get better.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #9 of 42 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 5:21 pm

don't understimate your skill at choosing this bike. The stuff you speak of will get fixed.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 42 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 5:27 pm

As stated earlier, RIDE RIDE RIDE!

The other stuff is small beans.

Enjoy, then fuss at the idiot who lied to ya'!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #11 of 42 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 5:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
It's a motorcycle. Just Ride it The electronic toys are just fluff, and will be fixed, so why not enjoy the great machine and save yourself the aggravation.
What he said +1
It is a great bike, ride it. That alone should be music to your ears. The toys will be in soon, so do not despair! Also pretty sure it is not the dealer's doing... so don't get mad. Perhaps they have a GPS they can lend you in the meantime. If you have a good attitude you may be surprised to see what your dealer will do for you.
The issue with your com system may lie with the helmet and/or cord. An easy fix.
Enjoy the roads before Winter!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 42 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 5:34 pm

BMW doesn't have a cable for the razor phone.Get the cable from BMW for the regular cell phone ( 1/8" mini plug ) and then go to verizion or your cell phone carrier and get the adapter for the phone. I don't understand why you can't close your glove box. If it needs adjusting it is very easy to do. Also I paid $1500 for my Nav II and just spent another $1500 for the Nav III so the fact that you have to wait a few weeks you really shouldn't complain. My friend and I drove from Las Vegas to Denver a couple of weeks ago and it rained 80% of the trip up, 24 degrees in the mountains outside of Denver and we had a great time and commented many times over the radio that no other bikes could handle a trip like that. I did have a 2002 Goldwing and think the 05 LT is the best touring bike in the world.

Mike 05 LT, 05 K1200S, 07 R1200S Rode my first BMW a year ago and sold all my other bikes.
post #13 of 42 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 6:11 pm

Did you purchase the LT from Long Island or the Manhattan (factory) dealer?

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
post #14 of 42 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBowler
After saving for this bike for so long, I thought it would be delivered complete. How could I have been so naive? First, I'm still waiting for the GPS since early September when I signed the deal. Secondly, I'm riding around without a glove compartment lid that closes...the dealer has no connecting cord for my Verizon Razr phone (which was promised me), only one ear in the comm system works, and the sound through the speakers is of much less quality than the 2000LT that I owned. I would have rescheduled everything if I knew that the navigator would take a month to recieve (still haven't gotten it!). I wasn't told this!

Why wouldn't I think it would be available upon delivery? If I had been told the complete TRUTH from the beggining, things would have been done differently. Like not purchasing the bike right now at all. It's the most painful and regretted $25,000 that I have ever spent in my life, and BMW has only impressed upon me the fact that is stands for the epitomy of deception in advertising and the keeping of their promises AFTER the sale. Sorry to ramble, but this bike costs about half my salary - I shouldn't have to experience this.
Don't pet the sweaty stuff......
post #15 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 8:55 am Thread Starter

Thanks, my friend. You made a good point and my reaction should be different from what it is. But I'm sure you'll agree that we shouldn't condone and accept when commitments are not met by organizations touting their cliams for customer service.

Ride safe! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Gary Bowler
New York, NY
post #16 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 8:58 am Thread Starter

I purchased it from Cliffs Revolution Cycles - Danbury, CT.

Thanks for the response. I've contacted every department in BMW Motorcycles's Headquarters in Westwood, NJ - I think I should voice my concerns about misleading advertisements - would anything change? Probably not. But I can't complain if I don't speak to an issue when appropriate.

Again, thanks for responding!

Gary Bowler
New York, NY
post #17 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:01 am Thread Starter

Rando:

Thanks for your response. I guess it's good to let off a little steam! It just bothers me when any organization pursues one so actively and then falls short once a signature or commitment is done. I guess I'm having problems accepting the fact that the work ethic all over is one of meeting numbers and an inferred blatant disrespect for the consumer.

Ride safe, and thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Gary Bowler
New York, NY
post #18 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:04 am Thread Starter

I purchased it from Cliffs Revolution Cycle. They have been reasonable in their part of this, but the burden of responsibility lies with BMW. Unfortunately, I know this is the 'way of the world' but still find it hard when anyone does not step up to their responsiblities or commitments.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Regards,
Gary Bowler
New York, NY
post #19 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:07 am Thread Starter

Hello Buddy:

Thanks for your response! Easier said than done! Especially when I've made sacrifices all year long for this bike, purchased it (supposedly) to attend an annual event (Blue Knights) that I really look forward to, and a host of other things! I did my part in providing spread sheets, conference calls, etc. so that this would NOT happen!

So, as I'm sure you may understand, this was planned months in advance, and because of it's significence, they did not meet their advertised commitment. I will continue to ride the bike, but I'm sure you'll agree that turning one's head in situations like this only encourages others to do the same.

Again, thanks for your response!

Gary Bowler
New York, NY
post #20 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:12 am Thread Starter

Thanks, buddy, for your comments! I will take heed! My main annoyance is that after months of preparation and many personal sacrifices for the last year (I am an administrative assistant and make only twice the cost of the bike) I planned in order to meet certain very important events of my life and others. All this was not met because of negligence and misinformation on BMW's part. I simply won't accept the fact, although many others do, that we have to accept deception and half-truths. You can look around and see the results of that anywhere, and it is not good.

At some point, we have to take responsiblities for our actions. Many don't like that, but it's a fact! When I make a mistake, I ensure that it is acknowledged and resolved that than it would have been before! Not expecting anyone to follow my lead, but I do believe that we have to have some level of accountability in life.

Thanks again for you response,

Gary Bowler
New York, NY
post #21 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll take heed to your comments!

Ride safe,

Gary Bowler
New York, NY
post #22 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Thanks! I appreciate your comments!

Ride safe!

Gary Bowler
New York, NY
post #23 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:19 am Thread Starter

Thanks!

"All things work for the good of those who love Christ"! This is true unconditionally, so I need to stay focused and rememeber it!

Ride safe!

Gary Bowler
President -Christian Motorcyclists Association - New York City Chapter
post #24 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:21 am Thread Starter

Good point!

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I've cooled down a bit, but will never believe it is 'okay' to be irresponsible and not follow through on commitments!

Ride safe!
Gary Bowler
New York, NY
post #25 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 9:35 am Thread Starter

Thanks!

Appreciate your response! I'll follow through on your suggestion about obtaining the adapter/cord for my Razr phone.

Also, I do believe I have the right to complain simply because I followed through on MY comittment many months ago. I do have a right to expect others to follow through on theirs. I am from the old school that believe we should be accountable for the commitments and promises we make to others. If I had to buy additional equipment that was needed, then fine, I expect to do so and pay for it. No problem. But I can't accept the fact that if I purchase an item I shouldn't expect it to be what I intended to purchase.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Ride safe!

Gary Bowler
New York, NY
post #26 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:01 am

Against my better judgment, I have to ask.
When was the bike delivered? And when was the GPS delivered?

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.
post #27 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:10 am

Gary, as many have stated you chose the best riding bike you can get. Since this is your second LT you must also agree. I think your frustration is not with the bike per se but with the dealer and the way the deal was followed through ( or not) I think you have every right to be irritated and vent. Its seems that except for a pitiful few dealers the dealer network sucks. Just my .02.
post #28 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:43 am

Interesting Thread

I also bought a new 2006 K 1200 LT. The dealer had installed a GPS II on the bike to show customers what it looked like (probably before the III's were know to exist!) When I bought the bike was a cash deal and walked away with a clear title. I questioned the dealership as to when it would be available (shrug of shoulders, BMW has to send it). I call the friendly though a bit unknowing 1-800 number provided in the owners manual. They told me that within 30 days of them receiving the info that the bike had been sold they would ship the GPS III for that bike. (P.S. they had info that I had bought the bike) I bought the bike on 31 Aug. Yesterday 2 Oct, I received a letter from BMW saying that the unit would be shipped within 3 to 4 days after the letter had been mailed. The letter was dated the 15th of Sept, I received the letter on 2 Oct. I had called the dealer on the 26th of Sep and they didn't know a thing, nor did the 1-800 (smile) BMW rep. Yesterday 2 Oct, I contacted the dealer parts dept, low and behold the unit was there waiting on me.

STEP 2.....
I contacted the service dept and ask if the GPS II and the III used the same mounting bracket and wiring. They don't know until I bring the unit in and they will see if it fits and works. (They are starting to SCARE me!)

STEP 3..
I called a different dealer who sells and services ONLY BMW's and they said definitely not that the GPS III used totally different wiring harness and mount.

STEP 4...
Soon baby gets to go to the selling dealer for the install. I'm waiting to see if they try and charge me to install the GPS III. (the sales contract said a FREE upgrade) and remember it alreadys has the GPS II system installed.

Other than the 1-800 (SMILEY) BMW rep not having a clue about the security system (see previous post on the site) and the dealer having even less knowledge. I think i'm going to have to learn about the bike on my own and pick some pretty smart brains on this site.

FYI... The k 1200 and I are going on the road for 5 days.. the GPS III install will have to wait! I can always stop provided the ABS brakes don't fail and check the paper road map.. lol
post #29 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsCasten
Against my better judgment, I have to ask.
When was the bike delivered? And when was the GPS delivered?
You might want to read the string that I have going under GPS to get ready for the next round of excitement.

To answer this question directly I pick up my bike on August 26th and the GPS came in on Sept 28th.

My biggest frustration is the 75 miles to the dealer makes in a non-trivial trip to resolve any issues/questions. Also you are a lot closer to Westwood NJ...in case a personal visit is ever in order.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #30 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 7:11 pm

Cheer Up!

Gary,

Glad to see you are still the President of CMA. Haven't seen you for a couple of years. I think you should spend a little more time on this site. Some have worse problems than you. Just be thankful that you are able to enjoy such a great bike. The other stuff will get sorted out.

Jim Schuyler
E. Syracuse, N. Y. 13057
ABATE of N Y, AMA, American Legion Riders, Bikers United Inc., BMWMOA, BMWRA, CMA, HOG, IBMC, MRF, PGR, Red Knights N Y XIV, Retreads, Rounders, vBMWr Riders

1978 R100/7
2000 K1200LT RIP 9-21-08 112,000 miles
2005 K1200LT
2003 Bunkhouse pop-up
post #31 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 7:13 pm

I can't believe how stupid these dealers are. Just swap the units and enjoy. You don't even have to change the base unit. You do need to use the new software on your computer though.

Mike 05 LT, 05 K1200S, 07 R1200S Rode my first BMW a year ago and sold all my other bikes.
post #32 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Thanks!

Appreciate your response! I'll follow through on your suggestion about obtaining the adapter/cord for my Razr phone.

Also, I do believe I have the right to complain simply because I followed through on MY comittment many months ago. I do have a right to expect others to follow through on theirs. I am from the old school that believe we should be accountable for the commitments and promises we make to others. If I had to buy additional equipment that was needed, then fine, I expect to do so and pay for it. No problem. But I can't accept the fact that if I purchase an item I shouldn't expect it to be what I intended to purchase.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Ride safe!

Gary Bowler
New York, NY
Gary, may I suggest something? Consider using the "Quote" button, instead of the "Reply" button (it's in the bottom-right corner of each post). This makes it easier to understand who you're replying to. It's not cosmic, just nice-to-do.

and I enjoyed your comments.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #33 of 42 Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 8:26 pm

SAD 06 Owner

Im on my third glove box, it has something to do with the bend on the metal inner piece that doesnt conform to the plastic outer shell and the expansion and contraction of both at different temperatures..
I repaired the third one myself using a auto body adhesive. It's fine now.

As far as the rest of your concerns do as everyone is saying RIDE!

PS: if you paid anything by credit card call your CC company and place a dispute on that amount until you receive your GPS.
post #34 of 42 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 7:03 am

Wink Feeling bad about LT purchase?

I empathize with your frustration. What you are going thru is something like" I was all excited and now the "new" has been rubbed off my bike"! It's just like dropping the bike two weeks after your purchase and scratching it all up. Suddenly the "new " is gone. That's what happened to me. I promise you that you will get excited again as soon as you go on a nice long trip. Suddenly you will realize why you bought this bike, the "LT" which stands for Luxury Touring. Give it some time. Good Luck! Ron

Ron Ray
Lexington, South Carolina
2007 GS Adventure

" My 35th bike riding 45 years"
post #35 of 42 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Greetings,

I too went through some issues getting my GPS, etc. Like many others have said earlier, go riding, it'll help. FWIW, I ended up buying two new Shoei helmets because the headsets wouldn't fit in my old KBC flip-face helmets. Then, one of the two new helmets was too small for my bride. So, credit card in hand, I bought a third new helmet ($350 a pop) and swapped the headset over myself. I waited a week while my dealer squared away my bike. In the end, it has been worth the wait, money and minor frustration. When we are on the road, everything is right. Guess what I'm trying to say is: Don't give up on your LT. It's an awesome machine.

Just my .02.

Bruce

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #36 of 42 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 4:20 pm

Incomplete LT

In my humble opinion you have a dealer problem not a factory problem,failure to install accessories as promised can cause much grief, been there, done that; bought the t-shirt. You may have a breach of verbal contract lawsuit case.However it probably is a waste of time and money to seek damages.

Glenn R 1200 RT 07

Sand Beige Metallic
post #37 of 42 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Gary, may I suggest something? Consider using the "Quote" button, instead of the "Reply" button (it's in the bottom-right corner of each post). This makes it easier to understand who you're replying to. It's not cosmic, just nice-to-do.

and I enjoyed your comments.
Thanks! I wasn't aware of that! Appreciate the tip!

Gary
post #38 of 42 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Bell
Gary, as many have stated you chose the best riding bike you can get. Since this is your second LT you must also agree. I think your frustration is not with the bike per se but with the dealer and the way the deal was followed through ( or not) I think you have every right to be irritated and vent. Its seems that except for a pitiful few dealers the dealer network sucks. Just my .02.
Thanks for the response! And I apologize for not using the "QUOTE' button! I didn't know how to!

Ride safe!

Gary
post #39 of 42 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Florida
You might want to read the string that I have going under GPS to get ready for the next round of excitement.

To answer this question directly I pick up my bike on August 26th and the GPS came in on Sept 28th.

My biggest frustration is the 75 miles to the dealer makes in a non-trivial trip to resolve any issues/questions. Also you are a lot closer to Westwood NJ...in case a personal visit is ever in order.
Thanks, Duane. I appreciate your comment. I'll also read your 'string' (have to find out how first! I am new to this!)

Is there a BMW professional in Westwood? Not sure about what you had said. If so, I'll be glad to stop by and introduce myself.

Thanks again,
Gary Bowler
post #40 of 42 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Schuyler
Gary,

Glad to see you are still the President of CMA. Haven't seen you for a couple of years. I think you should spend a little more time on this site. Some have worse problems than you. Just be thankful that you are able to enjoy such a great bike. The other stuff will get sorted out.
Jim:
Good communicating with you as well! I'll be sure to visit the site more often. I know it will be a great asset to me.

We're doing fine here in NYC, and our chapter is stable. Hopefully we'll see more activiity during the next year!

Thanks again!
Gary Bowler
post #41 of 42 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 8:42 am

Quote:
Thanks, Duane. I appreciate your comment. I'll also read your 'string' (have to find out how first! I am new to this!)

Is there a BMW professional in Westwood? Not sure about what you had said. If so, I'll be glad to stop by and introduce myself.

Thanks again,
Gary Bowler
Westwood NJ is the headquarters of BMW of North America. That probably does not really do you any good, but techically it makes you close enough to complain in person...if so desired.

As indicated in my other string, the GPS situation has improved, but it still looks like my free Nav III will cost me at least $200.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #42 of 42 Old Oct 5th, 2006, 9:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow
In my humble opinion you have a dealer problem not a factory problem,failure to install accessories as promised can cause much grief, been there, done that; bought the t-shirt. You may have a breach of verbal contract lawsuit case.However it probably is a waste of time and money to seek damages.
My educated opinion is a lawsuit would be a waste of time and money. You'd have to have the dealer admit that they promised you something and then they didn't deliver- fat chance of that happening. Look at any modern contract you sign when you purchase an auto or a motorcycle, and I'll bet that somewhere in the fine print it says something like- "No verbal commitments honored." I think there's also a final delivery form that you sign when you take delivery, and on that form it'll either say: "We owe you nothing." or "We owe you a {radio, GPS, replacement mirror, free helmet, etc.}."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in