New Custom Seat - Done Locally! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

New Custom Seat - Done Locally!

I am new to the "LT WORLD", and love the bike, but the one thing I couldn't handle was the seat. No matter how I adjusted it, it just didn't work. My butt was just plain sore after an hour or so and I was dying after 2-3 hours.

I took my seat to a friend of mine who does upholstery and WOW! He has been doing this all his life and I simply snapped some photos of what I wanted and WaLa! He produced it. Haven't ridden it long yet, but on the test ride, it sure felt better immediatly. Just though some might like to see it.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 9:32 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
I am new to the "LT WORLD", and love the bike, but the one thing I couldn't handle was the seat. No matter how I adjusted it, it just didn't work. My butt was just plain sore after an hour or so and I was dying after 2-3 hours.

I took my seat to a friend of mine who does upholstery and WOW! He has been doing this all his life and I simply snapped some photos of what I wanted and WaLa! He produced it. Haven't ridden it long yet, but on the test ride, it sure felt better immediatly. Just though some might like to see it.
Do you have any before and after pics to see?

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:15 pm

was it a heated seat????

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 5:17 am

and can you tell us some specifics of what he did to the seat? I'm assuming it was more than just recovering it...

I've read a few cases on this site where a local upholstery shop did a seat rebuild, with good results. Much cheaper than the traditional m/c specialty seat maker.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #5 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 6:58 am

Quote:

Hmmm, my 75K mile seat on my 04 is starting to tell me its worn out. NC is sorta local to me. Does your guy do ride in's?

Mike
IBA #433
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 8:09 am

Quote:

We would like to see it. Where is it??

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:39 am

I had KonTour do my seat last winter and I have been super happy this summer. Padding is much better than factory and the fabric breaths so I don't get a soggy butt on hot days. This winter I'm sending them my drivers back rest and the passenger back rest to get covered with their fabric.

I have no association with KonTour other than being a satisfied customer.
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 1:25 pm

Seat Covering

You are my kind of folks! Have been preaching the set re-dux, beads, riding apparel, etc. over the seat change out for years. Amazing how many folks will spend $500-$1,000 on a new seat w/o guarantee of comfort. Local folks will help make changes until you are happy. And at a much lower cost. Bonus….you support local business.!!

Glad it worked.

Miles
post #9 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

One More Attempt At Posting Photos Of The Seat

Guys, this is my last try at uploading photos (I thought they were on the first post). If they aren't on this post, then it is beyond my limited computer skills to post them.

The cost of the seat was around $300. Not cheap, but they did rebuild it from the ground up. 6 types of foam were used and a new cover was hand stitched. I rode for about 90 miles today and WOW was it comfortable! I took the seat off the bike and left it with them.

It was done by Donald's Auto Upholstery in Charlotte, NC. and it is outstanding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat3.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	442.9 KB
ID:	7126   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat4.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	7127  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #10 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Yup...it was and still is heated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman
was it a heated seat????

Yes, it was a heated seat and it still is. Heater still works great, he just took his time and removed the old heater and re-installed it in the new foam.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #11 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Guys, this is my last try at uploading photos (I thought they were on the first post). If they aren't on this post, then it is beyond my limited computer skills to post them.

The cost of the seat was around $300. Not cheap, but they did rebuild it from the ground up. 6 types of foam were used and a new cover was hand stitched. I rode for about 90 miles today and WOW was it comfortable! I took the seat off the bike and left it with them.

It was done by Donald's Auto Upholstery in Charlotte, NC. and it is outstanding.
The pics worked, as you can see. Now you're a pro!

Thanks for the info. Do you have specifics that we can take to our own local upholstery shops? Like... what type of foam (brand name, trade name, etc.), or will they know all about these things?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 6:41 am Thread Starter

More Details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Do you have specifics that we can take to our own local upholstery shops? Like... what type of foam (brand name, trade name, etc.), or will they know all about these things?
I do not have specifics about the foam, but I asked him to use some of the firmest foam he had. I sampled several types and did a lot of research and though there is some debate between "Closed" and "Open" cell foam, everyone seems to agree that a very firm foam is better for the long haul. The cover is a synthetic leather. I really debated between that and real leather, but chose this for its water resistance. Just wipe it off and ride!

I also use a sheepskin pad by Alaskan Leather that is irreplaceable. Man does that thing help out! In other words, NO Sweat! (I live in the HOTTTTTT southern climate -- sorry to all you northern guys)

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #13 of 13 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 7:31 am

Looks like a quality job at a very reasonable cost. Please report again on comfort after a long day ride, say at least 350 miles--preferably longer.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in