Throttle Cables - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcracer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 6:58 am Thread Starter

Throttle Cables

Still working on my bike. 2002 k1200lt. Got new ABS unit installed and brakes bleed. Thank for the help. Going to do brake cables while bike is naked. Been looking at all the posts and think I have grip end figured out. I have slot cut on bottom cover. Looking at bottom end at throttle bodies looks rough. I think I'm going to remove air box. Wondering if im going to need 2 new screw clamps to reinstall. Can I get these from auto parts store or do I need to get them from dealer. One problem I see is one clamp is turned and will be hard to loosen. If thought? Thanks Scott G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 7:20 am

Re: Throttle Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjgolden View Post
Still working on my bike. 2002 k1200lt. Got new ABS unit installed and brakes bleed. Thank for the help. Going to do brake cables while bike is naked. Been looking at all the posts and think I have grip end figured out. I have slot cut on bottom cover. Looking at bottom end at throttle bodies looks rough. I think I'm going to remove air box. Wondering if im going to need 2 new screw clamps to reinstall. Can I get these from auto parts store or do I need to get them from dealer. One problem I see is one clamp is turned and will be hard to loosen. If thought? Thanks Scott G
Scott, those screw clamps are oriented so they don't interfere with the movement of the throttle butterfly assembles. Make note of where they are before you take them off and when you put them back on, make sure you have full throttle movement with no interference or it can jam your throttle.

I know when I last pulled my air box, there may have been two screw clamps on 3 & 4 and two of the crimp on type on 1 & 2 but I am not sure that is normal or if I am remembering correctly. I don't have a good enough picture to jog my memory. If they are all screw clamps on yours and not crimp, the PN on MAX BMW is 11 61 1 464 912 49mm SCREW clamp - $4.12

Whatever you do if you try and find a non dealer replacement, make sure it does not interfere with throttle operation.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 10:28 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
there may have been two screw clamps on 3 & 4 and two of the crimp on type on 1 & 2 but I am not sure that is normal or if I am remembering correctly. PN on MAX BMW is 11 61 1 464 912 49mm SCREW clamp - $4.12

Whatever you do if you try and find a non dealer replacement, make sure it does not interfere with throttle operation.
Your memory is correct. 1 & 2 are crimp, that I will replace with OEM screw type clamps. I haven't put things back together yet, I have my throttle bodies assembly off right now for other stuff. (Crank Case Breather Spuge). Others have used the screw clamps, just have to be careful of placement, things are tight back in there.

I also replaced the Throttle Cables per the Service Bulletin for "Stiff Throttle". Hope she starts being a little more user friendlier on the wrist! Must say; the return springs on the TB is stiff "all on it's own".
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 1:52 pm

This pdf file may help you a little. I did not remove the throttle bodies to replace the cables on my 2000LT. I did have a long pair of needle nose pliers to help me. I think I removed the cruise control micro switch or the entire bracket it attaches to. This made connecting the cable a breeze. If I was able to do it, anyone can!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Throttle_Cable.pdf (385.8 KB, 80 views)

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcracer View Post
I also replaced the Throttle Cables per the Service Bulletin for "Stiff Throttle". Hope she starts being a little more user friendlier on the wrist! Must say; the return springs on the TB is stiff "all on it's own".
I have a cramp buster/throttle rocker that helps.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #6 of 11 Old Mar 11th, 2016, 12:11 am

My 2000 had the upgraded throttle cables (noted your post says brake cables) installed by the previous owner, Riding more than 30 minutes caused discomfort in my wrist and up the arm. Not pain but not a good feeling and was partly due to the return springs and the angle of my wrist. I disconnected on of the throttle body return springs. It still snaps closed when released and it is a dual cable system so it fixed the problem for me.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 11th, 2016, 6:46 am Thread Starter

Yes I'm doing throttle cables sorry for typo. Thanks for all input. I'm getting on them tonight. If I leave switch at throttle unpluged will cc still operate? I have had problems with cc in the past and don't want to deal with getting adjustment right. Thanks Scott Golden
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 11th, 2016, 10:20 am

Quote:
I have had problems with cc in the past and don't want to deal with getting adjustment right.
You should not have any problems if you need to adjust the cc switch. Attached is a little write up I did after getting help from a former forum member.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cruise_Control.pdf (82.4 KB, 56 views)

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #9 of 11 Old Mar 11th, 2016, 7:12 pm
Super Moderator

Anyone riding around in a 2002 LT better inspect their throttle cables
or just get them replaced with the updated sets and routing as
suggested by BMW. Mine both snapped after 6 years of service - no
warning was not stiff - fairly smooth action.

I was lucky to pull off a McGuiver moment with a fix on the road and
the help of a riding buddy (Doc) . . .

Not sure if my personal style of throttle control or handle bar
management caused this but the new routing and hardware are
definitely a better set up. I think they changed this on 2005 an newer
bikes . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; Mar 12th, 2016 at 6:37 pm.
post #10 of 11 Old Mar 12th, 2016, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

Bike 3/4 back together. Rode around block . New throttle cables are awesome. Thanks for the help. Do you have to be at a certain speed for cruise to work? Work on clutch side heated grip now. Thanks for all the help.
post #11 of 11 Old Mar 12th, 2016, 6:09 pm

Quote:
Bike 3/4 back together. Rode around block . New throttle cables are awesome. Thanks for the help.

Do you have to be at a certain speed for cruise to work?
As written in owner's manual, there is a MINIMUM and MAXIMUM speed under which Cruise-Control will operate.
Some version of the manual gives: 25 to 100 MPH (40 to 160 Km/H)
Another version gives: 30 to 100 MPH (50 to 160 Km/H)

Overhaul, pretty much the same as they do NOT want you to accidentely engage it a slow speed OR at very illegal speed ;-)

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in