Top Box cracking - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Top Box cracking

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem so here it goes. I've got a 2007 LT. A guy pulled up next to me the other day and told me that he thought my top trunk was loose. I stopped the bike noticed that my top box was in fact moving a bit more than usual. When I got home I took the bottom liner out and saw that there was almost no adhesive holding the 2 support braces to the box, the larger 2 at the rear of the box. There was a substantial amount of the stuff that had been pushed out towards the front of the box but from at least where the bolt holes are to the back of the box there was nothing so the box was shaking all the time and now has a crack starting right across the back between the 2 bolt holes. I've called BMW to ask what the box is made of so I could find the correct adhesive to remove and reafix the supports but the customer support had no idea. I called the dealer and was told that they didn't do body work so they had no idea. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so what type of adhesive or bonding agent can be used?

thanks for any help,

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 7:18 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Top Box cracking

I have used ABS pipe adhesive with great success on the inside of the panniers - should be the same. I have never seen what you are describing. Photos maybe?

This is the best stock shot I had of the bottom of the top case. Is this the area you have an issue with? There are 4 glued in reinforcements but they should not come loose unless the bolts are not tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	100169  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 9:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I have used ABS pipe adhesive with great success on the inside of the panniers - should be the same. I have never seen what you are describing. Photos maybe?

This is the best stock shot I had of the bottom of the top case. Is this the area you have an issue with? There are 4 glued in reinforcements but they should not come loose unless the bolts are not tight.
Hi John,

That is exactly what I am talking about. If you notice there is adhesive that has been pushed out of the entire area of the support flange. Here is what mine look like. Notice the adhesive is only at the one end of the flange. It sure looks like a factory defect to me, but I doubt that BMW is going to do anything about it at this time since it's out of warranty. I'll give them a call and see what they say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160302_111300.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	748.5 KB
ID:	100193   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160302_111248.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	100201  

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowlandesq View Post
Hi John,

That is exactly what I am talking about. If you notice there is adhesive that has been pushed out of the entire area of the support flange. Here is what mine look like. Notice the adhesive is only at the one end of the flange. It sure looks like a factory defect to me, but I doubt that BMW is going to do anything about it at this time since it's out of warranty. I'll give them a call and see what they say.
It does look like the adhesive they used is a little scant on the back side. Does your case have the luggage rack and have you been loading that up? I would think it would take a fair amount of weight to cause that to flex enough to separate.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 11:57 am Thread Starter

yes I do have the luggage rack, but in most cases the only thing in the box is my helmet. I don't think I've had any "luggage" in the trunk more than a couple times. With nothing in it there is still a substantial amount of weight when you put the top down. Between the luggage rack and the speakers the top is very heavy. Every time you hit a bump or go over a dip the trunk will bounce because all the weight ends up at the very back of the trunk which has no support. I've seen several other photos and they all look like yours with the adhesive covering the entire flange area and pushed out from all the edges. I'm going to put in a warranty claim and see what they say. It's obviously a defect created at the factory when the trunk was built. I had no way of knowing there was no adhesive holding the flanges to the floor until it became so loose that I could see it.
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 5:50 pm

John Zeilers idea of using ABS glue is probably a good solution. What about some kind of ABS plastic adhesive thats thicker in consistency. Like the factory used.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Mar 10th, 2016 at 6:02 pm.
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 7:50 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you look again at my picture you will see one that is glued well and the other one is shy of glue in the same area as yours are guess I better get after mine before it cracks.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 9 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 11:25 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
If you look again at my picture you will see one that is glued well and the other one is shy of glue in the same area as yours are guess I better get after mine before it cracks.
Same thing happened to mine - unfortunately didn't catch it until the one of the bolts holding the case to the bike pulled through the plastic.

Fixed it by crafting a piece of sheet metal of approximately the same size and gluing it down (two part epoxy). Holds fine for now - I have a "new to me" top case to replace it when the time comes (after painting) as the latch is also broken...

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 11th, 2016, 2:23 am

Garage

I used a tube of liquid nails to put back the tool bag bit that fell off, that was years ago its still stuck on ok. works ok on broken mirrors as well

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in