• 1 Post By CharlieVT
  • 2 Post By smahon
  • 1 Post By FrankNitti
  • 3 Post By Scouter-50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 1:23 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Question Two-up teams, how do you pack your LT

I realize the time, method of lodging (hotel vs. tent), etc. all are variables that change things, but I'm just looking for how *you* do it in relation to the LT.

I've bought a book on motorcycle touring, read countless forums and blogs, etc. and I believe the more you "listen" the more you learn and LT specific arrangement might give me more ideas.

As it stands now, our right saddlebag has a BMW branded "always onboard" bag that has everything from extra fuses, lights, first aid, tire kit/compressor, and so on. I yanked the CD player and sometimes hook up an iPod interface there too.

Our left saddlebag is mine and I have a Bestem bag I pack for me which is hygiene items, lightweight clothing layers for under my Olympia stuff and maybe some lightweight shoes for off the bike roaming around the hotel, etc.

The wife gets a BMW bag sized for the top-case for her stuff. She also spills some items into our RKA top case bag. Who knows what all she carries.

In the RKA top case in addition to occasional spillover from the wife I place different gloves, liners, and spare/alternate layers from our Olympia gear. I also have a small BMW stingray case for small electronics, smaller first aid, etc.

I've never "tied" anything to the bike as far as extra bags when two-up, etc. (well, besides the top case bag.) When solo, I've used rok-straps to tie a modular sleep system down on the back seat but that was a pain when getting into the cases anyway.

So as mentioned, just curious how other two-uppers do multi-day travel on their LT. Share if you dare!

Thanks!
BALDTIRES likes this.

2007 R1200GS Adventure
No longer "OrovilleTim" as I defected from California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Re: Two-up teams, how do you pack your LT

For us...
One side bag (BMW) similar to yours with always on board stuff like tools, air compressor, etc
Wolfman bag (Medium) on the luggage rack with fowl weather gear, shoes and laundry
I get the other 2 bags (BMW side and top case)
Wife gets the trailer!!! (Uni-Go)
CaliDefector likes this.

'15 GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon View Post
For us...
One side bag (BMW) similar to yours with always on board stuff like tools, air compressor, etc
Wolfman bag (Medium) on the luggage rack with fowl weather gear, shoes and laundry
I get the other 2 bags (BMW side and top case)
Wife gets the trailer!!! (Uni-Go)
I was wondering if the responses would include trailers. I've been suspecting that may need to be the route we go but wanted to hear from others if they are making do. If this was a GS and we were roughing it you could be minimalists, but this is "Luxury Touring" after all

2007 R1200GS Adventure

post #4 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrovilleTim View Post
I was wondering if the responses would include trailers. I've been suspecting that may need to be the route we go but wanted to hear from others if they are making do. If this was a GS and we were roughing it you could be minimalists, but this is "Luxury Touring" after all
We tried a couple options before getting the Uni-Go: Going minimalist and tying a pair of rollup bags to the top of the side paniers. The bags gave us enough added storage to get by, but were a pain in the a$$. Going minimalist was just being unkind to my wife. She, like so many on this site, is such a trooper, never complains about the heat, the cold, the rain (although hail in Montana was another story last year coming home from CCR). I just cannot bear to make her compromise on what she wants to bring. With the trailer, I can pack the same way I would for a solo trip and she can bring whatever she wants - and when that includes a dress and high-heels - that's a Win-Win!
CaliDefector likes this.

'15 GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 6:11 pm

I keep all tools, rain gear and misc stuff in one side pannier and we have a very nice expandable nylon bag that gets attached to the rack on top of the trunk (Look at my handle pic). I use the other side pannier for my clothing and toiletries. She gets the trunk and nylon bag attached to the trunk. We always stay in hotels so you only need two changes of clothing and we use the washer/dryer in the hotel. We have on occasion used another small nylon bag which sits behind her on top of the seat back/trunk. I also tell her to put all the heavy items in the trunk and the lite items in the nylon bag on top of the trunk. If I had a trailer she would fill it up, so I'm not going that route. We are not long distance tourers so if your going out for a long trip for many days through many climates and terrrain I'm not sure we could pack everything we would really need. Our longest trip was 4 days and I made sure no rain before we left.

I'm sure the die hard travelers will chime in with their tricks. Good Luck.
CaliDefector likes this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #6 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 7:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I run a Bushtec when 2-up (which now seems like ALWAYS). Just makes it easier plus a 1 gallon gas can and ice chest help keep cool in the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bushtec8.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	100161  
BennyBob, Moogie and CaliDefector like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 7:43 pm

two up with camping gear, no trailer:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...tml#post476383

Yeah, this is a little extreme but we have extra stuff for day hiking like backpacks, hiking boots, in addition to camp stove, large tent, etc.

Had a trailer for a while, but didn't prefer it.

(we are more likely to hotel it these days anyway.
CaliDefector likes this.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Mar 9th, 2016 at 7:52 pm.
post #8 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I'm torn because I want a trailer, but part of me wants to make it work with just the bike. As I suspected though, it is expected of the kind of ladies that marry guys that will provide them such a luxurious experience to also expect to have a comfortable time off it too while traveling.

Right now semi-locally there are both a UniGo (but the guy got a little weird when I started talking about title, etc. so I'm getting scared of that one,) and a Bushtec. I like the one-wheel concept but I reckon enough folks pull the two-wheelers that it has got to be OK. My fear with the larger one though is she'll want to fill it, haha.

The reason this is all coming to mind is that we are planning some longer trips such as CA to UT and CA to IL. Normally we head over to NV from CA for a day or two at the most and that seems to be the limit for now. We will need to get used to motel laundering rather than our S.O.P. of "how much can we squish in the air-tight laundry bag".

Luckily though she is one of those troopers mentioned that puts up with it. Last year we woke up on the other side of the Sierras from home, looked out at the bike from the hotel window and saw snow flurries. She just thought it was a big adventure (though I did buy her a warming vest after that ) Every now and then though I do hear how the shampoo in the hotel isn't as good as hers, or she wished she could have brought her own blowdryer, etc.

2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #9 of 37 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 9:25 pm

I fill the left case with tools & maintenance supplies, clymer manual plus anything squeezable into odd spaces in that case. The right case (because it has less size restrictions) gets my small travel bag + toiletries. I pack pretty efficiently with a few tank tops and thin, synthetic cargo shorts found in backpacker shops that roll up small which I wear under my olympia gear. I only take one pair of thin carhartt slacks and a couple of button down shirts to vary the wardrobe a bit. 3 complete changes of clothes along with a couple of extra shirts and I will do laundry every few days. For socks, I pack three thin pair of carhartt boot-length socks. They pack well and dry fast plus are cool for hot weather. The pillion gets most of the top case and my overflow goes to either the topcase or in a drybag tied to the rack with rokshocks. In the drybag goes my sandals, rain gear (easy to get to when needed), and anything that overflows from the topcase. The drybag is bright yellow, allowing for more visibility to other vehicals from behind.
In a pinch, my rain cover can be unbagged and stuffed into the space between the pillion seat and topcase, which makes it right handy when a storm is possible when I park for the night.
For my 30 day solo ride this july, I'll pack a sleeping bag liner instead of a sleeping bag, a small tent & a string hammock. KOA instead of hotels. KOA is everywhere.
Also, you can get small compression bags to reduce size of some soft items. For instance, you can put all your rain liners, etc in a compression bag and save space. Or can can come up with a compression strap thing on your own.
Not planning on cook gear, but will carry copious amounts of beef jerky if I do long days.
Bob
CaliDefector likes this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #10 of 37 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 3:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Basically, I ride, she flys, so packing isn't really an issue for me. When my wife meets up with me on the road, she brings her textile jacket, helmet, gloves, and boots in a separate bag for local riding opportunities.

I tend to take too much, and refine what I bring as time progresses. I have a full set of Kathy's Journey Design luggage - panniers, top case and luggage rack bags.

The left pannier bag contains an antigravity battery; toolkit; tire repair kit and pump; GS-911; smaller plastic bottles of engine & final drive oil, and antifreeze; spare parts for shifter and fuses; tennis shoes and sandals; a tube of hand cleaner; latex gloves; and microfiber rags.

The right pannier bag contains my clothing, with daily changes of clothing separated into smaller mesh bags; phone/computer chargers; and maps to supplement my GPS.

The top case contains my laptop, ditty bag, first aid kit, GoPro camera kit and extension arm; spare gloves; & energy bar snacks.

The luggage case bag contains my Aerostich bike cover; RDL seat's rain cover; a sweat shirt & light weight jacket; a zip lock bag for carrying a damp rag for cleaning off bug splatters; and another clean microfiber cloth for wiping the bike down at night.

I also have a BMR luggage rack used to mount a Veskimo 9 qt. cooler (for the cooling vest) and a Helen Two Wheels dry sack for any other odds and ends I carry, like a collapsible chair and other more bulky clothing.

I don't need to carry any rain gear or liners, as my Aerostich R-3 suit and Daytona boots work well in conjunction with the LT tupperware, in keeping me warm and dry, and the Veskimo cooling vest system also keeps me comfortable in above the mid-80s.
CaliDefector likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #11 of 37 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 6:50 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

When I had the LT I pulled a trailer so packing was not a problem. When I sold the LT for a K1600 I also sold the trailer so I to had to relearn how to pack for trips. As others have said 1 side bags is for tools, safety items, rain gear and other odds & ends that always stay on the bike. The other side bag is for my stuff (use case liners for easy use), inside the top case is for my wife. I also have a top case rack with a weather proof bag that we split between us. We can easily travel for a week. For 10 to 14 days we do laundry 1 time during the trip. If on the road longer then that we send a box of supplies ahead to a hotel to be there when we arrive. We will then send the box back home with dirty things before we leave that hotel. Good luck & hope you find what works for you.
CaliDefector likes this.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Mar 10th, 2016 at 10:47 am.
post #12 of 37 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 7:19 am

I know I should not suggest this option because the die hard tourers will chastise me. We bought an enclosed motorcycle trailer several years ago to take the bike on long distance destination vacations. Since neither of us enjoy long tiring stints on the bike, we trailer the bike to a vacation area then unload and ride the local area. There are many advantages such as we can also take our bicycles in the trailer, if it is bad weather leave the bike in the parked trailer and take the pick-up. It keeps the bike safe and clean. We towed it for the two day trip to Nova Scotia and then spent the next five days riding around the island, loaded it up and headed home. We stopped on the way home in Prince Edward Island, unloaded and road around the island for 5 hours site seeing then loaded it up and headed for home. So much more comfortable for long distance then slogging it out on the motorcycle. I can also do 10-12 hours driving the pick-up but can't be on the bike for more than 6-8 hours max. Granted it costs more but it makes it so much more pleasurable for the wife even though she has been a trooper and endured 40 degree rides dressed to the hilt, getting wet and even if she doesn't complain, I can tell she prefers to be more comfortable when on the bike.
In some ways I'm jealous when I see guys touring totally on the bikes but as I get older I crave the creature comforts because I did that, done that roughing it when I was younger.

That's my 2 cents.

Scott
2007 LT
post #13 of 37 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 8:16 am

Our LT came with the BMW side case bags and the LT "tank bag".

The left side case is for my stuff, the right side case is for my Wife's stuff.

The top case gets a small cooler, snacks, coffee, camera / tripod....(how did you think our photos Always turn out so good), picnic supplies, I Pad, hair band & brush, Etc.

Kathy's Rack Sack = Windshield cleaning supplies, bike half cover, tightly rolled jacket liners.....etc.

The "tank bag" is for maps, sunglasses & glasses cleaning stuff. (I use maps)

The oddments box has phones, chap stick, mints & whatever fits.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00967.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	100185  
radar41 and CaliDefector like this.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT

Last edited by rhawk; Mar 10th, 2016 at 8:28 am.
post #14 of 37 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 9:49 am

If any two up trip will include camping, your first stop should be a backpacker shop or at least browse a backpacker catalog. You need the most compact and lightest serious-backpacking-gear you can find. My wife and I used to do two up riding and camping with my R1100RT, but we were younger then, and didn't require quite so many creature comfort's like pillows, air mattresses, changes of clothes, etc. By the time I bought my K1200LT, I was also shopping for a single wheel trailer. I chose the MonoGo trailer because UniGo was having delivery problems at that time and their price at $3500+ was absurdly out of control. My oldest son, and mechanical engineer, reworked the suspension and hitch on the $1000 MonoGo making the rig capable of sustained speeds in excess of 90 mph. I was comfortable with my backpacking gear on two six-week solo trips from Ohio through Alaska, and countless two-up camping trips with my wife. Both my LT and my GS are far more comfortable to ride while towing the trailer then they would be having all that gear strapped on the backseat. Even the LT feels top-heavy and a handful riding on gravel and dirt roads with 70-100 pounds of dead-weight tied to the bike, whereas towing the trailer on those same roads feels no worse than solo riding. I also appreciate my dry clothes staying dry inside the trailer when riding in the rain for days on end. Finally, packing the trailer is a cinch compared to the juggling act of loading and tying down everything onto the bike.
CaliDefector likes this.
post #15 of 37 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 6:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Here is a picture of our LT loaded up during a 4000 mile trip through British Columbia.

Sleeping bags and mats in bags above the panniers; tent and Kermit chairs (and fly rod ) attached to the luggage rack. She gets the right pannier for clothes...I get the left. Trunk holds electric gear, cooking gear, small tool kit and other miscellaneous items.

We had a great time!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K1200LT.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	100241  
CaliDefector likes this.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #16 of 37 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 9:12 pm

Quote:
I realize the time, method of lodging (hotel vs. tent), etc. all are variables that change things, but I'm just looking for how *you* do it in relation to the LT.

I've bought a book on motorcycle touring, read countless forums and blogs, etc. and I believe the more you "listen" the more you learn and LT specific arrangement might give me more ideas.

As it stands now, our right saddlebag has a BMW branded "always onboard" bag that has everything from extra fuses, lights, first aid, tire kit/compressor, and so on. I yanked the CD player and sometimes hook up an iPod interface there too.

Our left saddlebag is mine and I have a Bestem bag I pack for me which is hygiene items, lightweight clothing layers for under my Olympia stuff and maybe some lightweight shoes for off the bike roaming around the hotel, etc.

The wife gets a BMW bag sized for the top-case for her stuff. She also spills some items into our RKA top case bag. Who knows what all she carries.

In the RKA top case in addition to occasional spillover from the wife I place different gloves, liners, and spare/alternate layers from our Olympia gear. I also have a small BMW stingray case for small electronics, smaller first aid, etc.

I've never "tied" anything to the bike as far as extra bags when two-up, etc. (well, besides the top case bag.) When solo, I've used rok-straps to tie a modular sleep system down on the back seat but that was a pain when getting into the cases anyway.

So as mentioned, just curious how other two-uppers do multi-day travel on their LT. Share if you dare!

Thanks!
Here's a general rule of thumb for how you should pack:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	At the 2015 rally.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	100257  
CaliDefector and Mark65 like this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #17 of 37 Old Mar 10th, 2016, 10:01 pm

Well, on the one overnight(s) trip we have been on to SMFR last year since we don't have a trailer, I rode and she caged it with our "stuff" to the Hotel as there was no rooms at the IH. Kind of like Norton trailering but I get to have fun on the way up and back.

Doing the same this year to Spring Training. Gives me a little riding time where I can be a bit more adventurous and just let her follow and slow down on the straights to let her catch up. 2UP while at the event. We haven't tried to pack the bike for an overnight(s) trip yet so this is good reading.
CaliDefector likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #18 of 37 Old Mar 11th, 2016, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
Here's a general rule of thumb for how you should pack:
I showed her that and she totally agrees.

2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #19 of 37 Old Mar 11th, 2016, 7:54 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I did see something that was kind of cool and I'm going to have the Mrs. try it. It was placing clothes in gallon freezer bags. The gal who was doing it would sit on them and then close them up. Then they were "filed away" so to speak. You can then leaf through them and pick them out.

When dirty I bet they could just be put into a compression sack lined with plastic or something.

If we can do it without a trailer, I'd like that. Plus at the rate I'm going, every trailer I ask about on Craigslist is a dead end so who knows if I'd ever find one (me and that pesky desire to make sure I'm not getting a stolen trailer, haha.)

I did order up a couple small kayak deck bags and may grab a couple more larger ones as I think I ordered too small and got 3 liter ones when I read reviews later. Might be good for something or other as I'd seen some of you attach them above the side bags. Who knows, the small one may fit behind the Mrs. seat since I did move the box back a little.

I also did a canisterectomy a while back and am thinking I might put some "last ditch" items in that space too to make use of it. Might look into smaller compressor, etc. and maybe one of those mini jumpstarter boxes and who knows what else for space saving. I'm sure it can be done, at least for motel stays.

2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #20 of 37 Old Mar 11th, 2016, 9:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

John Z mounted a compressor in place of his canister. I have been curious how he did it to save some space, but then again, I don't really have to worry too much about lack of space when riding solo....
bob1811 and CaliDefector like this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #21 of 37 Old Mar 12th, 2016, 3:21 am
cws

Garage

After 9 years of packing panniers and top bags for annual and other various trips, I gave up and bought a trailer... So much easier to keep the loads low.
After all, the LT does have reverse, and I'm not getting younger ......
CaliDefector likes this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #22 of 37 Old Mar 12th, 2016, 6:21 am

For our annual trip to CCR we ship a box to the hotel that contains clothes and items we won't need on the road. Then when CCR is over we ship the box back home with dirty clothes and the things we won't need on the way home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
ibbones and CaliDefector like this.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #23 of 37 Old Mar 14th, 2016, 11:06 am Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Two-up teams, how do you pack your LT

I'm warming the wife up to the cost of a trailer. I like the Uni-Go for a few reasons but that cost and anticipated delay in delivery is horrible. Probably why it is hard to find one used.

Anyway, for the time being I have ordered up some footman loops and will strategically locate some kayak deck dry bags here and there to buy a little space. Possibly a larger tank bag too since I just have the little stock "stingray" one. Maybe after our first few longish trips the funding for the Uni-Go will appear. Either that our she'll pack lighter and tighter, though my money (literally) is on the trailer, haha.

I appreciate all the responses. This confirmed my suspicion that for Luxury Touring the Light Truck needs a Little Trailer

2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #24 of 37 Old Mar 14th, 2016, 3:09 pm

Quote:
I'm warming the wife up to the cost of a trailer. I like the Uni-Go for a few reasons but that cost and anticipated delay in delivery is horrible. Probably why it is hard to find one used.

Anyway, for the time being I have ordered up some footman loops and will strategically locate some kayak deck dry bags here and there to buy a little space. Possibly a larger tank bag too since I just have the little stock "stingray" one. Maybe after our first few longish trips the funding for the Uni-Go will appear. Either that our she'll pack lighter and tighter, though my money (literally) is on the trailer, haha.

I appreciate all the responses. This confirmed my suspicion that for Luxury Touring the Light Truck needs a Little Trailer
Let me throw one thing more into this discussion. How about a small camper trailer? Home for the night and plenty of carrying capacity. I now have two Bunkhouse trailers. 50K+ miles on the first one. Another good brand is Leesurelite. I even carry an A/C and folding porta-pot.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #25 of 37 Old Apr 5th, 2016, 2:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Yeah, we are buying a trailer

Just ordered a hitch from Dauntless. They had one in stock and it is going out today.

Picking up a little aluminum trailer for now as I'm getting a good deal on it. I really wanted to find a used Uni-Go or even a reasonably priced Bushtec but no luck at the moment. I can easily sell the little trailer later or who knows, after some customization I might come to like it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lil Trailer.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	102298  

2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #26 of 37 Old Apr 5th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
two up with camping gear, no trailer:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...tml#post476383

Yeah, this is a little extreme but we have extra stuff for day hiking like backpacks, hiking boots, in addition to camp stove, large tent, etc.

Had a trailer for a while, but didn't prefer it.

(we are more likely to hotel it these days anyway.
I like the extra soft saddle bags you attacched to your bike. Do you have a more detaield phot of how you did that?

David W

2013 F800GT - sold
2005 K1200LT
post #27 of 37 Old Apr 5th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwradon View Post
I like the extra soft saddle bags you attacched to your bike. Do you have a more detaield phot of how you did that?
All the way back to 2004
the link to the JC Whitney soft bags doesn't work any more, but my pics about the bungee buddies installation are there:

Re: Bags mounted on the OUTSIDE of the side cases.
dmwradon likes this.
post #28 of 37 Old Apr 5th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
All the way back to 2004
the link to the JC Whitney soft bags doesn't work any more, but my pics about the bungee buddies installation are there:

Re: Bags mounted on the OUTSIDE of the side cases.
Is this the same bike ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bike packed for camping - 31lbs below max load 002 (1).jpg
Views:	398
Size:	495.7 KB
ID:	102338  

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
post #29 of 37 Old Apr 5th, 2016, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy13 View Post
Is this the same bike ?
Yes.
post #30 of 37 Old Apr 5th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Quote:
Yeah, we are buying a trailer

Just ordered a hitch from Dauntless. They had one in stock and it is going out today.

Picking up a little aluminum trailer for now as I'm getting a good deal on it. I really wanted to find a used Uni-Go or even a reasonably priced Bushtec but no luck at the moment. I can easily sell the little trailer later or who knows, after some customization I might come to like it.
Very cool. Now pack it up and come to CCR this summer and put a face to some of the great people on this forum.
JNW003 and CaliDefector like this.

'15 GTLE

post #31 of 37 Old Apr 6th, 2016, 9:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
Let me throw one thing more into this discussion. How about a small camper trailer? Home for the night and plenty of carrying capacity. I now have two Bunkhouse trailers. 50K+ miles on the first one. Another good brand is Leesurelite. I even carry an A/C and folding porta-pot.

Robert
Two Trailers?? Jeez Robert! Do you take the microwave & big screen TV?
post #32 of 37 Old Apr 6th, 2016, 10:52 am

Garage
Cool Re: Two-up teams, how do you pack your LT

Interesting discussion!

Wife and I for 10-12 day excersions:

Left side (RKA bag) with all my clothing, toiletries, misc. chargers - (cell phone, intercom, etc.).

Right side (RKA bag) wife's side with her toiletries, clothing, etc.

Like most of you our riding gear is multi-season and water proof.

Top-case, tools, tire pump, laptop, water, snacks, etc.

Luggage rack - Helen Two Wheels bag strapped to it contains, silk stuff for cold weather, wool socks, heavy gloves, and other cold weather gear, OR in warmer weather extra socks and under garments, (ALL light weight stuff - less than 10 lbs)

RKA tank bag: Maps, (yep carry them too), Camera (and accessories), sunglasses, aux cell phone charger (Good for a couple of charges) baseball cap, small LED flashlight, and misc. other small items.

We do laundry as necessary.
IF we can't get it on the bike it doesn't go!! "Ain't pulling NO trailer"!!

You asked.

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
!
post #33 of 37 Old Apr 6th, 2016, 12:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I had a question on our Dauntless setup coming in the mail and started a thread in the trailer section at the following link:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/trailers...ess-hitch.html

If any of you trailer sailors wouldn't mind weighing in I'd appreciate it. I use that term "trailer sailor" affectionately too being the owner of a Hobie Cat, haha.

2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #34 of 37 Old Apr 6th, 2016, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelmgren View Post
Two Trailers?? Jeez Robert! Do you take the microwave & big screen TV?
Erik, no TV (except computers) two dutch ovens, three BBQ grills, etc., etc.

The first Bunkhouse has a king bed and about 50K miles. The second Bunkhouse has a queen bed. Just couldn't see getting rid of the old one. I'll let the kids use it.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #35 of 37 Old Apr 6th, 2016, 2:28 pm

Did a 6 week tour of the southwest last summer and pulled a trailer...it was nice( had all that I could possibly need and then some) but really didn't like pulling the trailer all that much.

So this summer going up to Canada and gonna try lite.....Took the top case off and installed the Ft. Worth rack and use my trailer hitch to install this cargo hauler.

Bought some dry bags and gonna have to cut down on a few things I take but I hope it will make for a better motorcycling experience
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3226.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	102434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3282.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	920.7 KB
ID:	102442  
CaliDefector likes this.

__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #36 of 37 Old Apr 12th, 2016, 9:30 am Thread Starter

Garage

Well the hitch is installed and everything is all zipped up! The wife loves the expansive 18 cubic feet of the Lumina XL trailer. As much as I liked the idea of the Unigo I think this is a great fit and I saved a couple grand (or more, when all said and done.)

Last night I jokingly asked her "you want to throw some camping gear in the trailer and head up to the ranch?" (the ranch being some property we own a share in with "rustic" accommodations at best.)

To my surprise she replied to the affirmative! We have not rustic camped in *years* (we have a 30 foot fifth wheel with all the luxuries that is her idea of camping now days despite backpack camping decades ago.)

Looks like I may get more use out of this trailer than the long cross country trips we were considering! She loves to ride with me and now perhaps we'll combine riding and some camping to get back to those old days of sleeping underneath the stars before I'm too old to get up off the ground, haha.

2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #37 of 37 Old Apr 12th, 2016, 10:07 am

Quote:
Well the hitch is installed and everything is all zipped up! The wife loves the expansive 18 cubic feet of the Lumina XL trailer. As much as I liked the idea of the Unigo I think this is a great fit and I saved a couple grand (or more, when all said and done.)

Last night I jokingly asked her "you want to throw some camping gear in the trailer and head up to the ranch?" (the ranch being some property we own a share in with "rustic" accommodations at best.)

To my surprise she replied to the affirmative! We have not rustic camped in *years* (we have a 30 foot fifth wheel with all the luxuries that is her idea of camping now days despite backpack camping decades ago.)

Looks like I may get more use out of this trailer than the long cross country trips we were considering! She loves to ride with me and now perhaps we'll combine riding and some camping to get back to those old days of sleeping underneath the stars before I'm too old to get up off the ground, haha.
If this continues you will be back to my suggestion of a camper trailer. No more sleeping on the ground for me. I paid my dues.

Robert
radar41, ibbones and CaliDefector like this.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in