O2 Sensor Replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 4:30 am Thread Starter

O2 Sensor Replacement

Recently I encounted my LT running rough and at first thought, it was being caused by a clogged fuel filter.

However, Thanks to many of you who have posted your symptoms and to those who played devels advocate, the real problem turned out to be my O2 sensor.

The bike was dropping into "Limp Mode", but the stinger on the diagnoses was that my battery would die in-between short rides, over periods of say 2 weeks, which, reset the montronic to the default mapping, allowing me to ride for about 30 mins before the bike started showing signs of the problem again. (Don't you just hate those intermitantcies when trying to diagnose!)

I've since purchased a replacement, and spent alittle quality time with the bike. Here are some pics to assist the rest who wish to endevor the repair...

The Part - Chicago BMW around $116

The Tools - Deadblow hammer & 7/8 Open End

Sensor Location - Unfortunately, you do have to remove all the side plastic & R/R of the sensor requires alittle patience.
*Note: You will need to remove the outer exhaust sheild as well.
:

Sensor Plug Location - Disconnect & Clip Tyraps as necessary.

Old vs. New - New sensor comes pre-greased. / The old one has about 70K on it.

Total time of the job was around 2 hours (casual). Be Careful when unscrewing the old one as there may be alittle steel flange around that exhaust location and hurts like...

Resetting the Montronic is something that came with my R/R, simply do to the fact that I replaced my old battery at the same time.

Resetting the throttle postitioning (according to the manual) consists of turning the bike on (but not starting it), open the throttle wide once and close, then a second time, then turning the power off.

At this point its up to riding the bike a few drive cycles so the montronic can develop a new mapping based on the new sensor installed.

Last edited by LBOCEAN; Sep 27th, 2006 at 4:40 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 8:19 am

Great instructions

I had to do my 02 sensor when I replaced my stock pipes for a Remus a while back and I found that the most difficult part was threading the cable up to where it connects. I found that by attaching a thin wire to the connector and gently pulling it down made it easier to reattach. I wish I had your instructions and pictures at the time. Would have been a lot easier.

Maybe this should be added to the "Halls of Wisdom."

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:28 am

Dan - GREAT job. Doubt a lotta folks have even seen where the sensor is, let alone R & R'ing one. Your pix make the job doable, for me at least, and will surely help those in need of replacing the sensor.

Thanks for sharing, Dan. Love contributions such as this one, to the forum family.

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:02 am

Great instructions and photos. Definitely a must for the "Halls of Wisdom". Thanks for the post.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in