Replacement Suggestions?... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

Replacement Suggestions?...

I have one of the few BMW mcy leases, which end this April. I had figured the "All New" LT would have been announced, but it has been put off another year. It does NOT pay for me to refinance my 2002, it has to go back. My delima...What to replace it with? Or, do i wait for the new and improved version? I'd rather not go back to H-D and the G-W is out of the question. Any suggestions?

I don't like the rider position of the GT. My SO rides her own, but on long trips and vacations we ride 2 up and love the comfort of our LT.

'07 FLHTCU-POSE .......Black
'02 K1200LT-E ...........Titan Silver-Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Lightbulb

John, see if maybe you can take over someone else's lease on an '05. There may be a year or 2 left on it, and the bike is still under warranty.
This way may allow you to wait for another 1 or 2 years until the new models come out while riding still a newer bike with a minimum down payment.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 9:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk12lt
I have one of the few BMW mcy leases, which end this April. I had figured the "All New" LT would have been announced, but it has been put off another year. It does NOT pay for me to refinance my 2002, it has to go back. My delima...What to replace it with? Or, do i wait for the new and improved version? I'd rather not go back to H-D and the G-W is out of the question. Any suggestions?

I don't like the rider position of the GT. My SO rides her own, but on long trips and vacations we ride 2 up and love the comfort of our LT.
buy my 05 Electra Glide Classic and be done with it...

F

post #4 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

If I were to go back to H-D, I'd get a black 2007 Peace Officer Special Ultra Classic or maybe just the Road King version. I don't want a Gold Wing. I would prolly keep the H-D and purchase the new LT when it becomes available. The R1200-RT is too cramped for 2 up on long rides, although i like the performance and riding position of the RT.

post #5 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 7:15 am

If I were forced to get a non BMW, I wouldhave to take a long hard look at the Victory line.
Rock
I am going to test ride that new Kaw Concourse when it comes out next year!
post #6 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 7:20 am

Wink What to buy?

I read somewhere that Harley sold 256,000 motorcycles last year. BMW sold something like 13 or 14,000 in the US. So if you buy a Harley you will definetly be in the majority. Everywhere you go you will see hundreds of bikes like yours. If you don't believe me just look in your local "trader" paper. You'll see hundreds of Harleys "For sale". I'd love to see a statistic on the average number of miles ridden in a year on a new Harley. I'm sure Harleys are great bikes but I've yet to pass one going on a cross country trip. I'm sure there are some however..I mean out of 256,000 somebody has to have " Nerves of Steel". About 6 months ago I followed a group of Harleys from Columbia ,SC toward Charlotte NC. They pulled over at the 25 mile mark...one guys footpeg had vibrated off and they had to go back and look for it. I tried not to laugh since I thought they wouldn't appreciate it! The guy ended up using a pair of visegrips to rest his foot on. Cool...Harley ingenuity! By the way...I later noticed that my chest hurt from the vibration of being behind the "straight pipes" and when I stopped to see what had happened one guy said to me " hey man ,why are you shouting? DUH! Ron Ray
( P.S. the above scenario is not intended to offend Harley owners! Don't get the wrong impression..It's not that I'm laughing WITH you ...I'm laughing AT you!....just kidding...Southern Redneck Humor)
post #7 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 8:16 am
Super Moderator

It sounds like the LT is the right bike for what you and the SO want to do. If you think you'll upgrade to the new one once it comes out look for a used LT to ride until the new one arrives.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:37 am
Prodigal Son

Question Ask--

---about a new shorter lease on the same bike.

If not from the original lease company call a competitor.
Big biasness here in DFW in the re-leasing market, several national companies located here.
Just a thought.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #9 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 1:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlray
I'm sure Harleys are great bikes but I've yet to pass one going on a cross country trip. I'm sure there are some however..I mean out of 256,000 somebody has to have " Nerves of Steel".
Then you must not be riding your BMW correctly .

Quote:
I'm sure there are some however..I mean out of 256,000 somebody has to have " Nerves of Steel".
If you look at the statistics of the Iron Butt Association certified rides you will find that the brands most ridden are HD (6650) and Honda (5917). BMW (4878) is the third most ridden brand. So if the serious long distance rider statistics are any indication of the average Joe riders you are more likely, by a small margine, to see a HD or Honda rider on a long distance trip than on a BMW. On my 8900 mile CCR trip I talked with many more HD riders along the way that were on long trips then I did riders on BMWs with the exception of the all folks at the CCR.

Now if you normalize those IBA statistics to the total number of bikes for any brand then it becomes obvious that BMW riders as a whole are more involved in long distance riding by a huge margin than with riders of any other brand. That does not mean you can't find any garage queen BMWs. The 2000 LT I bought in July of 2005 was just one example. It had a total of 6800 miles on it and I saw lots of other low mileage LTs and other model BMWs out there primarily because I was looking for them. My LT has 29k on it today so hopefully I have taken it out of the garage queen category.

Quote:
( P.S. the above scenario is not intended to offend Harley owners! Don't get the wrong impression..It's not that I'm laughing WITH you ...I'm laughing AT you!....just kidding...Southern Redneck Humor)
I personally am something of a cross dresser as are a good number of forum members. I am just as likely to be wearing a HD t-shirt and doo-rag under my Gucci gear or wearing my Sidi boots and a BMW t-shirt under my leathers. I am comfortable in just about any environment from a three patch party to the Chateau Elan. I can find things to admire about almost any brand and model of motorcycle and I am open minded about the riding cultures of other riders.

In general I believe HD riders are very social. They generally are more likely to ride in large groups and the destination, usually a social function, may be as important to them as the ride. They probably spend more time socializing than riding. I have yet to have a HD rider put me down for riding into a "Biker" event on my BMW and most are more concerned that I might take their wife for a ride and that they might have to look for a BMW to keep her happy . I would also expect that the first rider to stop and help me if I was broken down on the side of the road would be a HD rider. That has been true four out of the last five times I have been stranded. I have never had a BMW rider stop to help but hopefully that is a statistical phenomenon, BMW riders are rare compared to the number of HD riders, rather than any indication of the attitudes of BMW riders.

But BMW riders, as a group, also have attitudes. They tend to be less social and more likely to be riding by themselves or in very small groups. The ride is usually the most important aspect of any trip and they tend ride a lot. They are very brand loyal and more likely to be less tolerant of other motorcycle riding cultures.

Brand loyalty is a common phenomenon but when carried to great lengths it becomes brand snobbery. So we probably shouldn't try to normalize the number of brand snobs to the total number of motorcycle of any brand because we probably wouldn't like the answer very much .

I have seen more brand bashing on this site than on any of the HD forums I frequent. Some in jest, such as yours and many others that are not. I don't take offense to any of this type of behavior because it is so prevalent in so many areas of our lives. I don't know if it is people's competitive natures or the need to justify their our own actions and behaviors, but I have observed that a great many people just can't seem to get through a day without trying to put someone else or something down.

I have mentioned this observation to my wife on several occasions but usually with negative results . I doubt I will have much better results in the future .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #10 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 2:47 pm

THe Harley market is too saturated right now....I have the EGC under cover in the back of the garage....there are tons for sale on Ebay and in the local fishwraps. I ride the LT like I stole it, it is a fantastic machine.

F
post #11 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 3:11 pm
TMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk12lt
Is that the old GT or the new one? I didn't like the rider position on my '03 either, but the new one is a totally different beast...

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #12 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Why don't you just go buy a new 07 LT????? They are as good as it gets...

Whenever BMW decides to upgrade the LT and you like the upgrades get one...

Both BMW and Honda have pushed back their releases of their new Touring machines.....................Pete

2005 Ocean Blue LT
post #13 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Jim,

Your observations are very close to my own. I live some 20 miles from the HD factory in York, PA so the HD to BMW ratio around here is something like a zillion to one. I have never received a bad word from any HD rider and they are usually very curious about my LT and anxious to strike up a conversation. Since I was a motor cop on HDs for many years, I can carry that conversation about the merits of their bikes also which they seem to appreciate. My only complaint is with the straight pipe crowd but if that's what winds their watch, so be it. I love my LT but I am anxious about the new Kawasaki Concours also!

What you ride is not as important as how you live your life.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #14 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 8:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
Why don't you just go buy a new 07 LT????? They are as good as it gets...

Whenever BMW decides to upgrade the LT and you like the upgrades get one...

Both BMW and Honda have pushed back their releases of their new Touring machines.....................Pete
Pete, I've purchased enough vehicles over the years to know I'll loose my shirt if I turn it around too soon. I don't want to get STUCK with the OLD model after the new one comes out. Also, I will never get the deal i have now. I can't extend my lease, if I could I would, but BMW FS wants to to take a new loan on the balloon. They would have to really make me an offer to keep my present ride. The present numbers say "Good Bye".

post #15 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 9:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMH
Is that the old GT or the new one? I didn't like the rider position on my '03 either, but the new one is a totally different beast...

Tom
Tom, the new one is slightly better, but not by much IMHO.

post #16 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
It sounds like the LT is the right bike for what you and the SO want to do. If you think you'll upgrade to the new one once it comes out look for a used LT to ride until the new one arrives.
Dave, I'd prolly move up to the new version, but my delima is what to do for the mean time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in