• 1 Post By slothy
  • 1 Post By Notahog
  • 1 Post By Kevin12T
  • 1 Post By ebiss9
  • 3 Post By k5lo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2016, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

Trike Talk

Well, in about a week I will have my ole beast back from the hospital having a sex change. I could not sell the ole thang, so decided to put a trike conversion on it. After talking to the folks at Hannigan, they recommended one of their dealer installers in Gladewater, Texas. So, I called him and ordered the kit and delivered my K1200Lt to him and he got started on it right away. I have been getting picture updates from him as he progresses. Actually, pretty scary to see the bike in a torn down condition. Sure hope he gets all of the pieces parts back to working condition. Anyway, the reason for this post is to see how many of you out there have converted your BMW to a trike. He has a nice little R1150RT trike there in his shop. I see lots of Honda 1800 trikes on the road and now and then a Hardley trike. Never do I see a BMW trike. Would it be beneficial to have a trike section here? Just thanking it would be good to hear some ideas as to what I have to look forward to. Good, bad or ugly. I am told that there is about a 1,000 to 2,000 mile learning (getting used to) curve. Thanks for the input. By the way, I am 75 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2016, 3:57 pm

Re: Trike Talk

Each to his own. Just be careful. It will absolutely not be the bike you remember.

When I get that age, I am going with a CanAM Spyder.
They at least go the speed limit or more here and can make it through a corner without any issues...

HD, BMW and GW trikes are constantly holding up traffic... Must be a reason for it?

Did you guys ever see the picture of the couple on a Goldwing trike that hit the boat?
That was a nasty accident which could have been avoided if the riders would have been on something which was controllable in turns.
There are a lot of topics out there on this subject.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/bike-tal...ty-dragon.html

2008 – Four deaths: One sportbike went off road and hit tree near Thunder Road Bend. One cruiser went off road in Ron’s Run with rider suffering heart attack. One trike went off road and struck tree. One sportbike death in head-on near Parsons Branch.

2007 – Three deaths: One low side at Guardrail Cliff. Trike versus a vehicle near the Wall claimed the lives of an older rider and his passenger. Both accidents in July.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2016, 5:15 pm

I really think you will enjoy it. I like mine. It has a very nice ride and it has the power I need. Hannigan does a great job with there trike kits. I belong to trike talk if you go to BMW section and go to pictures of trikes find the one from Magnolia,Mn that's mine the blue one. I think it's on page 2 or 3. Has far as getting used to it just take your time. Someone told me you drive a trike and you ride a motorcycle. Leaning will not turn the trike. Make sure you give yourself room at the gas pump the rear end is wider LOL. Be ready for people coming up to you asking questions about your trike. Ride safe and enjoy your new ride.
randyg

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2016, 5:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
Each to his own. Just be careful. It will absolutely not be the bike you remember.

When I get that age, I am going with a CanAM Spyder.
They at least go the speed limit or more here and can make it through a corner without any issues...

HD, BMW and GW trikes are constantly holding up traffic... Must be a reason for it?

Did you guys ever see the picture of the couple on a Goldwing trike that hit the boat?
That was a nasty accident which could have been avoided if the riders would have been on something which was controllable in turns.
There are a lot of topics out there on this subject.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/bike-tal...ty-dragon.html

2008 – Four deaths: One sportbike went off road and hit tree near Thunder Road Bend. One cruiser went off road in Ron’s Run with rider suffering heart attack. One trike went off road and struck tree. One sportbike death in head-on near Parsons Branch.

2007 – Three deaths: One low side at Guardrail Cliff. Trike versus a vehicle near the Wall claimed the lives of an older rider and his passenger. Both accidents in July.
Never noticed trikes holding up traffic.. If anything it's prob older people riding slower as they do in their car.

You cite a few trike rraccidents, what about the 100's maybe even thousands a year from non triked bikes?

Can't say I've ever seen a triked out Beemer. Just wings and hds.

Op: post some pics of the build, i assume they are putting some additional rake up front on it?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
superstan26 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 R1200RT
1978 R100/7
1973 R75/5 - For sale
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 5th, 2016, 9:01 pm

Neither have i seen a trike holding up traffic. I don't know what the highest speed limit is in NC, but last year I rode with a 1800 goldwing trike with independent rear suspension and I'm not ashamed to tell you that the guy wasn't easy to hang with in the corners. I believe the rear differential was stuffed with 4.10 ring and pinion and it would exceed 100 mph. He wouldn't get me on top end, but he could out pull me anywhere else with minimal effort.

I'm not saying it's for me, because I like to lean, but when I get to the place that I'm not able to pick up a dropped bike I could see myself doing some damage to the young whipper snappers pride when he thought he was going to show an old man up.
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2016, 6:04 am

I guess you guys read further into my post than what I wrote. Or you have very thin skin, hate your trike and are trying to justify it. I don't know your problems?
My post clearly says I don't care in the top line. I just want him to be careful.

There a fewer trikes on the roads than two wheel bikes. Here there are far more cruiser crashes than sportbikes. But the HD riders will always say that sportbikes crash more.
One Graham County NC paramedic said they work ten Harley crashes to every one sportbike... I personally have seen more than the three trike accidents which I have listed. That is seen the trike parked in the mountain.
Speed limit in NC is 55 unless otherwise posted... Riding 30MPH though the mountains is unacceptable. Use a pull off and let others pass.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2016, 7:55 am

Mike, I can see how you would think that the issue of discord is due to someone else's inadequacy. Apparently you have little to no memory retention. You didn't state that you, "really don't care" you stated, "to each their own".

I mentioned that I don't have a trike so how could I be trying to justify my own?

It's obvious that you have a hard time staying on task seeing that you keep rambling about information that has absolutely nothing to do with the OP.

Bottom line:
the OP believes a trike is a good choice for him,
he has invested in his decision,
he is looking for a place to speak with like minded riders not people who talk trash about subjects they know nothing about, but want to regurgitate a bunch of useless unproductive mostly opine statements.

I trust he will enjoy his new steed, and wish him well.
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2016, 7:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
I guess you guys read further into my post than what I wrote. Or you have very thin skin, hate your trike and are trying to justify it. I don't know your problems?
My post clearly says I don't care in the top line. I just want him to be careful.

There a fewer trikes on the roads than two wheel bikes. Here there are far more cruiser crashes than sportbikes. But the HD riders will always say that sportbikes crash more.
One Graham County NC paramedic said they work ten Harley crashes to every one sportbike... I personally have seen more than the three trike accidents which I have listed. That is seen the trike parked in the mountain.
Speed limit in NC is 55 unless otherwise posted... Riding 30MPH though the mountains is unacceptable. Use a pull off and let others pass.
In my opinion, what you said about trikes in general was very rude. I don't have a dog in this fight, but being 69 I know sooner rather than later I might have to look at an option. I agree with you that I would probably go with Can Am, but I ride some with a gentleman with an GW 1800 trike and no one has to wait on him. Going back to being rude, if I had just spent the money triking my LT and someone came back with your remark, I would not be a happy camper. I am just glad that this gentleman at his age is able and willing to continue riding. Just my $ .02 worth. Have a nice day.
Leon
kedwards005 likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Hi k5lo

I had my LT converted to a trike here in the UK, it does feel strange for the first few rides but you soon get used to it. You'll find you have to push on one side of the handlebars and pull on the other side when turning (i.e. to turn right you pull on the right side and push on the left). It is still easier to shift your weight slightly in the direction you are going to compensate for the slight roll in the suspension. Hopefully you got the EZ Steer as well. It does make a big difference to the steering, without EZ steer it is quite heavy and has a bit of a judder at at about 60mph. I found that out after getting the conversion done so I retro fitted the EZ steer system. That said I love my trike and it means you will never be part of the club that have dropped their bike at slow speed LOL.
Notahog likes this.

2005 K1200LT Trike Conversion
1995 BMW R850R
1975 Honda CB400/4
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2016, 5:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Well I'm not 75 or even 69 years young, I'm 63 and I converted my 2006 KLT to a Hannigan trike in 2012. My wife and I had many long distance tours with it as a 2 wheel and enjoyed it immensely. I layed it down once in 2011 while stationary and had one hell of a time getting it back on its feet, (guess I should have unloaded all the gear packed on it first). I told my wife right then and there, who was tossed into a mud puddle when it went over, that's it, when we get back this monster is going in the chop shop. Can't say I've ever regretted it either. We've been on several interesting trips since, recently one to Colorado towing an Aspen Classic camper and the other to Nova Scotia without the camper along with many trips closer to home. It's so much more relaxing in slow moving or stop and go traffic and even wet weather. Riding on a straight road or highway I often times forget it is a 3 wheel behemoth. Of course I do miss the lean factor and it does take a little more effort in the turns. I guess my view of the trike is simply as a long distance touring machine and use it as such without much thought of needing to scrape the center stand on the curves. Can’t say I’ll ever do away with the desire for 2 wheels as I still own a KGT when the yearning does arise to tear up some curvy roads. Just my own thoughts on the subject…..

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2016, 4:09 pm

Had our 06 Lt converted at 18k,in o9, have around 40k now. we only ride the trike to get out of town and only run on the slab.

Mechanical : All service but oil change at BMW dealer. I've found that A new front tire every year is a good idea.

Problems: Last year after returning from CCR when cleaning the bugs off I found the muffler just hanging. The support bracket welded to the muffler broke away from the muffler. A$40 weld job fixed it. ($2000 for new.)

farkles: moto lights, TPMS, Handle bar mirrors so I know that Bushtec is still
coming along.

Riding: My First turn showed me that you do not countersteer. It will keep up with the Boys, curves and all. I love the extra 5 gal. gas. We rode the Dragon in 2014.

Trikes: IMO,
Honda, Good horse power, shaft drive, low MPG.
Harley: Belt Drive, low hp.
Bmw good hp, shaft drive, extra 5 gal tank, low mpg.
MPG dosen't matter with the extra 5 gals.

The old Guy at CCR last year at 75.

t
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2016, 6:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer2up View Post
I've found that A new front tire every year is a good idea.
I love the extra 5 gal. gas.
I have noticed the front tire wearing flat in the middle and also some wobbling when going slow over bumps, figured it was time to change it out!

+1 On the extra 5 gallons of gas in the auxiliary tank.

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ

post #13 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2016, 7:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Couple of quick picts..... First picture is on the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia June 2015, second is when I picked up my camper on the way to Colorado July 2013....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NovaScotia.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	99929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	99937  
biometrics likes this.

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ

post #14 of 16 Old Mar 8th, 2016, 12:03 am
cws

Garage

I've only seen/heard of a couple of Hannigan triked LT's in OZ, I managed to grab a crate of spares from one that was done locally, or at least near enough, that I scored ridiculously cheaply.
I do like the look of the "leaning" conversion being discussed in this thread just today though!
...and having test ridden a CanAM Spyder a few years back, swore I'd never be convinced to try one of those monsters again... fun in a straight line in the wet... but on corners.. forget it.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #15 of 16 Old Mar 18th, 2016, 4:46 pm Thread Starter

Red face Re: Trike Talk

To continue this topic. I took delivery of my 2009 LT Hannigan Trike yesterday. It was pouring down rain here in the deep South in Central Louisiana. However, I did get to ride it about 30 miles. Today was not much better but got in about 90 miles. Towards the end of the ride I was getting more and more comfortable with the handling of the trike. At first, I was gripping the handle bars with much strength thinking that it would get away from me. As time went on, I got less and less tense. Seems to be the right thing that I have done. It is good looking and handles like it should. Hope to pull into one of the upcoming rallies and show it off. Thanks to everyone who have responded to my posting. By the way, I have a bunch of pieces parts left over. Rear drive, electric center stand, side stand, rear tire and wheel, bags, springs. Anyone interested call Cecil at (318) 541-3257.
mtrevelino, ibbones and biometrics like this.
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 20th, 2016, 6:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I think it will really grow on you as mine has on me and the wife. One suggestion right off that you might want to do is put some kind of protection on the leading edges of at least the fenders. If you don't you will begin to notice many small stone nicks after a short time. I used Plasti-Dip, easily applied from spray cans, (you may have noticed it in the previous picture post). It last a couple of years and removes easily. I need to recoat mine as it has been about 3 years now. Good luck and safe riding........

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ

Last edited by ebiss9; Mar 20th, 2016 at 6:51 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in