Clutch Housing Spline Lube Per CLYMER ?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By mcracer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Clutch Housing Spline Lube Per CLYMER ??

Looking for answers. I'm putting my clutch back together. CLYMER and other PDF's refer to lubing the spline on the motor output and clutch housing connection. All prior to O-ring install and big nut torque.

It looks like this spline and housing that runs against the Rear Main Seal and has the O-Ring under the disposable nut are under pressure with engine oil! This connection sits in an oil bath it's entire life when running. The O-ring dries out and passes pressurized oil into the clutch. And thus oily clutch.

Why would I want to put Optimoly MP3 or Microlube GL261 or anything other than engine oil on this spline during re-assemble. Whatever you use will flush into the engine, hopefully get caught by the filter and ???

I can see the oil journals and path for the oil to circulate! There was a nice pool of oil in there when I pulled it apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0785 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	99521   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0786 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	61
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	99529   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0788 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	99537  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 6:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Clutch Housing Spline Lube Per CLYMER ??

That area is not lubed as it is in an oil bath (your observations were correct). The splines you want lightly lube are the transmission input shaft where it inserts into the clutch disc. Put none IN the clutch disc.
Patric and mcracer like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 8:07 pm

To expand on what John said using the word " lightly"

What this means is you don't want the clutch disk to gather a big lip of spline lube behind it as you slid the transmission on. If it does, it can glob and fall into the clutch contaminating it again.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the reply John.

Clymer page 168 step-2 for clutch installation should be amended. In my opinion.

If anything, maybe some assembly lube. Maybe Not; because they want the threaded main engine output shaft clean and dry for proper torquing of the Clutch Nut - Compression Ring - Clutch Housing.

The engine output spline is not a onetime lube/spline connection like the clutch disk to transmission input. Or like the trans out to drive-shaft. I have the Staburags NBU 30 for these splines. A little goes along way. Found this YouTube on late model BMW spline lube during clutch service.

Gordon, that depth gauge you sent worked great for the trans out seal, I'll send it home soon. Thanks. Mark L
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 5th, 2016, 8:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcracer View Post
Thanks for the reply John.

Clymer page 168 step-2 for clutch installation should be amended. In my opinion.

If anything, maybe some assembly lube. Maybe Not; because they want the threaded main engine output shaft clean and dry for proper torquing of the Clutch Nut - Compression Ring - Clutch Housing.

The engine output spline is not a onetime lube/spline connection like the clutch disk to transmission input. Or like the trans out to drive-shaft. I have the Staburags NBU 30 for these splines. A little goes along way. Found this YouTube on late model BMW spline lube during clutch service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87FfDU5r640

Gordon, that depth gauge you sent worked great for the trans out seal, I'll send it home soon. Thanks. Mark L
Nice little video. He works it in but doesn't gob it on. a thin coating is all that is necessary.

While you reassemble your clutch and bike, I received my spare FD from fleabay along with a new set of spark plug wires for Euro Motor Electric so if it warms up a little more, I may pop the cover and have a look inside of what I bought. It is missing one of the outer bearing cones on the pivot bearing but in looking at the one that is there, I will likely have to replace both as it is a little notchy.

Keep posting the pics as you go Mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01887.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	550.2 KB
ID:	99593   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01888.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	99601  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in