Dealer service verification by VIN - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By norton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Dealer service verification by VIN

Hey all,

Looking at a nice '99 K1200LTC that I'm wanting pretty bad. Owner says there has been work done but no invoices or receipts to back it up.

Any service dept. guys willing to look this thing up for me?

WB10555A5XZD70852

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 1:52 pm

Re: Dealer service verification by VIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo Loco View Post
Hey all,

Looking at a nice '99 K1200LTC that I'm wanting pretty bad. Owner says there has been work done but no invoices or receipts to back it up.

Any service dept. guys willing to look this thing up for me?

WB10555A5XZD70852

Thanks!
Any dealer can take the VIN and look up what warranty service was done on it and if there are any outstanding recalls like the quick disconnects or the like. I would think beyond that, you would have to go to the dealer that did any out of warranty service to get a record.

I had my dealer check my VIN and they could only tell me warranty or recall.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I called the dealer that he said did all the work (clutch, final drive, seals, etc.) and they were able to see warranty work in another state up to 2006, BUT NOT the work he claimed was done at the dealership he claimed it to be done at.

The guy sounded busy and rushed off the phone so I was hoping to get a few more opinions here.

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 4:29 pm

I hate to jump to conclusions but I always do anyway. So far, from what you have said about this owner, I would proceed very carefully. Do not allow your excitement in getting a new bike cloud your judgement. It appears he has already given you wrong information. Also if I wanted to sell a bike I would find time to answer all the buyers questions and make them feel comfortable that they know what they are buying. Unfortunately as one of my favorite proverbs states,"Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery, but let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals." Try and find the sellers that will be honest. These bikes need to be maintained regularly and if not the consequences can cost you plenty in terms of dollars, time and frustration. There are lots of LT's available for sale that have been maintained so do not deal with an owner who does not have or know the maintenance history. Granted some bikes have several owners and their histories get cloudy but numerous owners can also be cause for caution. Now that these bikes are getting older proper maintenance is even more key to their healthy survival.

Good Luck
sailor and El Caballo Loco like this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 1:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I hate to jump to conclusions but I always do anyway. So far, from what you have said about this owner, I would proceed very carefully. Do not allow your excitement in getting a new bike cloud your judgement. It appears he has already given you wrong information. Also if I wanted to sell a bike I would find time to answer all the buyers questions and make them feel comfortable that they know what they are buying. Unfortunately as one of my favorite proverbs states,"Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery, but let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals." Try and find the sellers that will be honest. These bikes need to be maintained regularly and if not the consequences can cost you plenty in terms of dollars, time and frustration. There are lots of LT's available for sale that have been maintained so do not deal with an owner who does not have or know the maintenance history. Granted some bikes have several owners and their histories get cloudy but numerous owners can also be cause for caution. Now that these bikes are getting older proper maintenance is even more key to their healthy survival.

Good Luck
Thank you so much! What a great post. I ended up passing on the bike. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt as the condition and price was pretty decent but for what I would end up doing to the bike, there are too many unknowns for me.

Cheers to all!
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 2:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo Loco View Post
Thank you so much! What a great post. I ended up passing on the bike. I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt as the condition and price was pretty decent but for what I would end up doing to the bike, there are too many unknowns for me.

Cheers to all!
Smart move!

I do not know where you live, but all over the USA (and also Canada), I see a LOT of K1200LT for sale at very good price. So... why bother with too many unknowns when you can do a bit more research and find the perfect deal a bit later.
1) check the Classifieds here on this web site.

2) check Cycle Trader search engine: Motorcycles - Scooters, Dirt Bikes, Choppers, Sport Bikes, and Other Motorcycles for Sale - CycleTrader.com

3) check all over USA for CraigList Ads using Search-Tempest: SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more

Good luck!

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in