• 1 Post By sailor
  • 2 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By CheezNbeer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 7:19 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Trouble removing rear engine seal

I have this nice tool my brother loaned me, but all I seem to be able to do is bend the seal. It hasn't moved a bit! Should I be using a heat gun here? The room is about 50 degrees so the aluminum is going to be tighter than when the motor was built. Please see the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0765.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	99305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	99313  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 7:51 pm

Re: Trouble removing rear engine seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezNbeer View Post
I have this nice tool my brother loaned me, but all I seem to be able to do is bend the seal. It hasn't moved a bit! Should I be using a heat gun here? The room is about 50 degrees so the aluminum is going to be tighter than when the motor was built. Please see the photos.
It will bend and be destroyed when you take it out. Just try not to gouge the bearing inside. I used a really big screwdriver to get mine out. Took a little force too. It is likely sealed in with something around the outer edge from the factory. It will come out.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 8:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

+1 It is a bear to get out but you have what I have used a few times. It's ugly. Especially when it is a new seal you just drove in crooked!

Yours looks like it was glued it. Just hammer away.
bmwcoolk1200 and mcracer like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 10:44 am

+1 for all others comments Do not know the correct word/name for the tool I used in English but closest translation is "slide hammer".

- drill a hole in the original seal
- attach the hammer with a screw to that hole
- there is a sliding weight on the hammer one can use to drive the seal out

Took quite a few serious blows with the weight to get the sucker out! It really was tight!
beech likes this.

Born to be wild so why not

post #5 of 20 Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D View Post
+1 for all others comments Do not know the correct word/name for the tool I used in English but closest translation is "slide hammer".

Took quite a few serious blows with the weight to get the sucker out! It really was tight!
A common experience with the aluminum factory seal. the replacement is easier all around. Just make sure it is flat.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #6 of 20 Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 12:04 pm

[QUOTE=C-A-D;1501905]+1 for all others comments Do not know the correct word/name for the tool I used in English but closest translation is "slide hammer".

Took quite a few serious blows with the weight to get the sucker out! It really was tight![/QUOTE

the tool you're describing is in fact a slide hammer. :-)
post #7 of 20 Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 12:11 pm

[QUOTE

the tool you're describing is in fact a slide hammer. :-)[/QUOTE]

Sometimes......

Born to be wild so why not

post #8 of 20 Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 1:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D View Post
[QUOTE

the tool you're describing is in fact a slide hammer. :-)
Sometimes......[/QUOTE]

Point taken. :-)

Edit:

The tool you're describing is in fact known as a slide hammer in the U.S..
post #9 of 20 Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 6:43 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
+1 It is a bear to get out but you have what I have used a few times. It's ugly. Especially when it is a new seal you just drove in crooked!

Yours looks like it was glued it. Just hammer away.
Got it! I asked one of the machine assemblers at work what they used. He grabbed a seal removal tool from his box and we went to the warehouse that I am doing the work on the bike in. He gave it a few goes, didn't budge! Grabbed the propane torch, heated with a low flame for 5 minutes, popped right out! Lots of Lock Tight on it. Here is the tool and it can be had for 10 bucks all over the web.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Seal Puller.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	99409  
post #10 of 20 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 8:56 am

Garage

I'm at the same place. I used the SLIDE-HAMMER option. I removed the MAIN seal a few days ago. It came out with little fight, I drilled 4 - 1/8" holes prepared for a fight, it came out after 2 wacks... For anyone reading this in the future. Be CAREFUL drilling thru, the main bearing sits behind the seal (but we all know that). There is a small space between the seal and the bearing, I mask taped around the main seal and put paper towels around the open access and exposed portion of the main bearing to catch any drill shards.

Of all the cleaning chemicals available "Gasoline" with a brush and catch pan and paper towels cleaned the intermediate housing right up.

Today I start going in the other direction! Out with the old, In with the new.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0780 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	491.8 KB
ID:	99441   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0776 (768x1024).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	482.1 KB
ID:	99449   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0782 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	609.8 KB
ID:	99457  
post #11 of 20 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 9:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcracer View Post
I'm at the same place. I used the SLIDE-HAMMER option. I removed the MAIN seal a few days ago. It came out with little fight, I drilled 4 - 1/8" holes prepared for a fight, it came out after 2 wacks... For anyone reading this in the future. Be CAREFUL drilling thru, the main bearing sits behind the seal (but we all know that). There is a small space between the seal and the bearing, I mask taped around the main seal and put paper towels around the open access and exposed portion of the main bearing to catch any drill shards.

Of all the cleaning chemicals available "Gasoline" with a brush and catch pan and paper towels cleaned the intermediate housing right up.

Congrats on going the other direction. I ordered my rear main seal yesterday so it should be here today. I'd say race ya, but I think we both know that that would not be wise.
mcracer likes this.
post #12 of 20 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 9:40 am

Quote:

MARK,
While you are there with all clutch parts in your hands, may I ask you to take a measurement:
measure the thickness of the Pressure-plate (from flat surface to the high ridge on opposite side at 4 spots around or more). It should be very close to 10.84 mm (0.4268 inch)

Mine is not apart right now and the most recent measurement we have is from a member in Australia that just received a new one for his K1200RS.

BMW does not publish the Pressure-plate thickness in any repair manual of any K1200RS or K1200LT. Wear is normally minimal and is normally easy to asses by looking at flat surface in contact with friction plate.

HOWEVER, the early K1200RS (1997) had a different pressure plate. BMW has published a Service-Bulletin about different thickness BUT they have never given any exact data. All K1200LT (any year from 1999 introduction) should have the same pressure plate thickness as the change was only for early K1200 engine (K1200RS was available in 1997).

Thanks!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #13 of 20 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 10:36 am

Quote:

Looking good Mark. Gas has always been my cleaner of choice.

If you look at Gary's seal close up, it looks like they got carried away with the sealer around the outside edge.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #14 of 20 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 3:04 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
While you are there with all clutch parts in your hands, may I ask you to take a measurement:
measure the thickness of the Pressure-plate (from flat surface to the high ridge on opposite side at 4 spots around or more). It should be very close to 10.84 mm (0.4268 inch)
Glad to do it. (.4240 - .4250) It's hard to see any variance at all "On my dial caliber" but I trust it. Though it is not the .4268 It seems to account for 54K miles of mostly Highway miles the PO put on her.

Just finished replacing all the Transmission Seals. I recommend putting some oil around them before you pull them. That little seal at the Slave Cylinder push-rod had me worried, every hole and screw pulled out "without" the seal. On the last section of seal that would take a screw, it came out using the Slide-Hammer trick. The others seals came out without incident. Slide Hammer with small screws works well. I used the Shop-Vac to keep the area clean of drill shards.

ALSO; Drilled the WEEP holes.

I'm good with a Hammer, Shovel and Paint Brush. This seal replacement was like surgery. But I did get to use my hammer! All is well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0784 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	99505  
post #15 of 20 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 3:31 pm

Quote:
Glad to do it. (.4240 - .4250) It's hard to see any variance at all "On my dial caliber" but I trust it. Though it is not the .4268 It seems to account for 54K miles of mostly Highway miles the PO put on her.

Just finished replacing all the Transmission Seals. I recommend putting some oil around them before you pull them. That little seal at the Slave Cylinder push-rod had me worried, every hole and screw pulled out "without" the seal. On the last section of seal that would take a screw, it came out using the Slide-Hammer trick. The others seals came out without incident. Slide Hammer with small screws works well. I used the Shop-Vac to keep the area clean of drill shards.

ALSO; Drilled the WEEP holes.

I'm good with a Hammer, Shovel and Paint Brush. This seal replacement was like surgery. But I did get to use my hammer! All is well.
Yes, you can do some damage if your drill wanders into the case.

On the measuring, did you measure to the raised machined areas where the spring would ride? I see the tape with your marks in between them, just want to make sure and Sailor will have to confirm what he wants. Also, is this a new or the one you removed you are measuring?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #16 of 20 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Garage

It's the ORIGINAL and it's going back in. I measured from the inside hole outward. The spring that runs around the outside is NOT part of measurement, not sure you could measure it if you wanted too.

No issue on wandering drill bits. Just tight seals, no damage done.
post #17 of 20 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 4:39 pm

Quote:
MARK,

I think I was not clear on where to take measurements - this may account for lower values you got.
See the modified picture to follow me: I meant to measure "between flat surface to the TOP of ridges on opposite side" where you see my YELLOW arrows (all around). Probably some linguistic interference as English is not my main language...

These are the spots that touch the diaphragm-spring, hence this thickness has a large impact to the push-rod extension distance out of the slave hole (if the pressure plate was wrong type or wrong thickness).

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pressure_plate_K1200.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	99513  

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #18 of 20 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Garage

Quote:
MARK,

I think I was not clear on where to take measurements - this may account for lower values you got.
See the modified picture to follow me: I meant to measure "between flat surface to the TOP of ridges on opposite side" where you see my YELLOW arrows (all around). Probably some linguistic interference as English is not my main language...

These are the spots that touch the diaphragm-spring, hence this thickness has a large impact to the push-rod extension distance out of the slave hole (if the pressure plate was wrong type or wrong thickness).

Thanks!
I did measure it on the contact face's. The tape is just a reference. I hit all the contacts, they all measure the same. .425 inches

Look even closer and you will see some black dots from a SHARPIE for the 4 points on the list.
post #19 of 20 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 5:39 pm

Quote:
I did measure it on the contact face's. The tape is just a reference. I hit all the contacts, they all measure the same. .425 inches

Look even closer and you will see some black dots from a SHARPIE for the 4 points on the list.
OK understood. Thanks for clarifications on method.
So that would be roughly a 2 to 3 thousands/inch difference with my friend measurements (for same part number but his was new). Because different tools with medium precision have been used in both cases, until I have accumulated more data, I have to assume this could just be normal measurement error (he was using a caliper, not a micrometer).

Hope our friend GARY (cheezNbeer) will forgive the thread hyjack to gather useful data ;-)
bmwcoolk1200 and mcracer like this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #20 of 20 Old Mar 5th, 2016, 5:06 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
OK understood. Thanks for clarifications on method.
So that would be roughly a 2 to 3 thousands/inch difference with my friend measurements (for same part number but his was new). Because different tools with medium precision have been used in both cases, until I have accumulated more data, I have to assume this could just be normal measurement error (he was using a caliper, not a micrometer).

Hope our friend GARY (cheezNbeer) will forgive the thread hyjack to gather useful data ;-)
No problem with the hyjack since my trouble was solved. In fact I find it all very interesting! Reassembly has begun and I took time to make the guide bar that is shown in Clymer's. I got to borrow the shops new Mac digital torque wrench, wow was that sweet! I does Newton Meters or foot pounds or torque angle at the push of a button. Picture is of the guide bar when I was checking the fit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0772.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	99713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0773.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	894.2 KB
ID:	99721  
mcracer likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in