Travelin' guitar - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Travelin' guitar

Does anyone have a preferred travel guitar? How about a safe and waterproof method for traveling with standard sized instruments? Sideways blocks mirrors. Stood on end seems wrong somehow. Wind noise? I go completely nuts in a very short time without one.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:39 am

Most music stores now have gig-bags that have backpack-type straps. I've never done a guitar on my bike but have passed many that have.

Personally I've done a trombone that way numerous times and, other than the odd looks from passersby, it's a piece of cake.

Tuba.....? I'd reccomend a side-hack!

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #3 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:09 pm

A Martin Backpacker Mandolin fits fine in a Unigo. I think the Backpacker Guitar is about the same size. Don't know how to do the little URL thingies so try this http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choos...acker%20Guitar

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:22 pm

guitar

accoustic ? Electric ? Bass ? soo many variables.

some things to consider. be careful about putting your guitar in a soft case or cheap hardshell case on the passenger seat. You would be suprised how much your neckk will be out of true, as well as stress on the neck. Having said that I have done that method many times, and had some problems, but most of the time nothing I could not fix.

my old bands web site.
www.dreadfulchildren.com

I am the one with all them tatz....
post #5 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 2:11 pm

I always loved the way Elvis carried his guitar on his bike in the movie "Roustabout". Sorta on the side somehow. Check out the movie. As for waterproofing, if it's going to rain, put plastic trash bags over the case and duct tape plastic to keep plastic from flapping and coming off.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #6 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 4:06 pm

I have had me one of these for years...its a Martin and about $170 on sale. Has a great sound, especially after a few adult beverages. Weighs less than 2.5 lbs and I strap it to my top case rack . Comes with a little nylon case. I know C G7 F...working on G A Am E D and Dm! Can play any country song ever written with them chords!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backpackguitar.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	7082  

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC

Last edited by Daman858; Sep 26th, 2006 at 7:01 pm.
post #7 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwadowd
Does anyone have a preferred travel guitar? How about a safe and waterproof method for traveling with standard sized instruments? Sideways blocks mirrors. Stood on end seems wrong somehow. Wind noise? I go completely nuts in a very short time without one.

Jim
I bought a Fender Malibu 3/4 size guitar to take on trips. I put it in my piggybacker trailer in a mini-acoustic size Gator Case.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #8 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Put it in the trailer with the rest of the stuff.
I have a trailer? Nope, just looked.

Backpack type gig bag would get awfully old after a couple hundred miles and still not be safe, secure and waterproof.

I have no experience with the Martin or any fractional sized instruments. I guess my parameters include a normal scale length and some sembalance of tone. I might should be looking for a headless electric.

I was sorta hoping for a higher tech solution than garbage bags. They are tried and true though....

Keep the sugestions coming.

Jim
post #9 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Quote:
I have a trailer? Nope, just looked.

Backpack type gig bag would get awfully old after a couple hundred miles and still not be safe, secure and waterproof.

I have no experience with the Martin or any fractional sized instruments. I guess my parameters include a normal scale length and some sembalance of tone. I might should be looking for a headless electric.
The Gator case is heavy cordura, but probably would not survive a hurricane. You should go to your local store and play the 3/4 Martin or the Fender Malibu. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how they sound. They aren't cheap imitations, that's for sure.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #10 of 16 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 7:18 pm

The Martin Backpacker is a full sized fret board.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #11 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 2:51 pm

Have music will travel

Quote:
Jim
I know how ya feel Jim! Couldn't get my Baby Grand onto Big Bertha no matter how hard I tried. Had to settle for a stack of CD's and now a new MP3 Player which fits perfectly in the upright or lying down position!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #12 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 4:02 pm

Quote:

Jim

http://www.go-guitars.com/

Try this site if interested in a quality travel guitar. I have one. Full sized board with short neck (12th fret at the start of the body--so one octive).
STANDARD TUNING ok. I use 12 guage strings with no problem. Try that on the Martin or Taylor. Handmade by a former Taylor luthier. Not cheap! Mine cost approx $325 new--expensive for a travel guitar.

And btw, I no longer play and am in the process of selling my collection. You can buy mine (as new) complete with gig bag for $200. It's the Go Grand Walnut. Solid spruce top and solid walnut back and sides. When finger picked with new strings it rings about as clearly as a piano! Incredible sound from such a small guitar.

If interested, email me at [email protected]

Tom

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #13 of 16 Old Sep 27th, 2006, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input....
The search is leaning to the electrics right now...less likely to break something important and a little smaller.
Steinberger, Hohner and Traveler Speedster are in the running.
Things change.

Now, to get the amp painted to match and mounted in place of the top case...

Jim
post #14 of 16 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 3:41 pm

Back on the Acoustic Side

Does anyone know if these acoustic travel guitars are any less sensitive to temperature than a standard acoustic? I know it doesn't take much exposure for either my 12 or 6 string to start losing the bridge. The hide glue construction is just naturally susceptible to even moderate heat. Do any of these smaller designs address this?

Thanks,

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #15 of 16 Old Sep 28th, 2006, 7:00 pm

The key isn't the guitar but the case.

The key isn't the guitar but the case. You have to spend more but if you get a good hard case it should be able to handle anything the weather throws at it. You won't be able to submerge it but good cases should keep the rain out even in pretty good winds. You can also throw in some of those packets you get in delivery boxes that are made to soak up the moisture.

I have an odd shaped guitar (early 80's Hondo II electric) which I haven't found a case for it. I don't take in on my motorcycle very often but get a lot of thumbs up when I do.

I also have a mandolin and just bought a violin (fiddle?) and these are much easier to transport. (I'm still learning both). I also have an electronic keyboard which I'm also learning.

Life is short. Get out there and ride.

post #16 of 16 Old Sep 29th, 2006, 8:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
Does anyone know if these acoustic travel guitars are any less sensitive to temperature than a standard acoustic? I know it doesn't take much exposure for either my 12 or 6 string to start losing the bridge. The hide glue construction is just naturally susceptible to even moderate heat. Do any of these smaller designs address this?

Thanks,
Not sure about that, but if it's a hot day I detune the guitar to take the stress off all the parts when it's packed in the trailer. Many years ago I had a guitar that got too hot and the neck bowed. That taught me a lesson!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in