Busted Headlight Lens - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JamesRobertBob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

Busted Headlight Lens

All y'all...

My headlight lens on my '02 LT busted on a recent trip along the Rio Grande. There is a hole in the glass and I can no longer pass inspection. I am trying to figure out my options. Is it possible to simply replace the glass or do I need to grab an entire headlight unit?

I can figure out how to replace bulbs but I need to replace the lens, which I suspect is not possible, in which case, how do I remove the entire headlight unit and replace it. I've seen nothing posted about this anywhere. I've looked at a replacement headlight unit on Beemer Boneyard and it looks like there are two screws on the sides that must be impossible to access up under the nose cone of the bike. Does this mean I have to take off all of the engine cladding and trim just to replace the headlight unit?

Anybody have recommendations for the best course of action?

Jim Bob in Texas

Former TV news correspondent
Forever motorcycle nut
Best selling author
Austin, Texas and various airports
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 5:03 pm

Re: Busted Headlight Lens

Try Beemer Boneyard or a similar recycler. Also EBay has a good selection of used motorcycle parts.
2002 BMW K1200LT K 1200 Lt S584 Headlight Housing Assembly | eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEADLIGHT-BM...ZWumaJ&vxp=mtr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2018 Hyundai Tucson Limited
Colorado PGR
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 5:15 pm

This one looks good;
BMW 63122305400 K1200LT Headlight | eBay
Darn things are $600 at the dealer.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. I've found plenty of headlight units. What I am baffled by is how do I remove the present one and put in the replacement without taking off all of the trim/cladding on the side. Is that actually necessary?
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRobertBob View Post
What I am baffled by is how do I remove the present one and put in the replacement without taking off all of the trim/cladding on the side. Is that actually necessary?
Unfortunately you will have to remove the left and right upper tupperware and nose cone to access the head light assembly. Its not a difficult job, but it can be a slightly time consuming. I can do it in an hour, but I've had practice with it over the past year installing HID lights. The only gotcha is the hidden screw at the top front of the nose cone. Otherwise, make a note on the electrical connections to the nose cone for reassembly. I forgot to reattached one the first time I had the nose cone off and thought I really screwed something up when I didn't get power to my headlights.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Undressed.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	584.8 KB
ID:	99337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight nose cone.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	745.7 KB
ID:	99345  
post #6 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 10:08 pm

I have a headlight assembly for sale from my 03' in the classifieds section. I'd be happy to talk with you about a price if you're interested.
post #7 of 12 Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 6:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstan26 View Post
I have a headlight assembly for sale from my 03' in the classifieds section. I'd be happy to talk with you about a price if you're interested.
I will go to classifieds and check it out. Thanks....

Forever motorcycle nut
Best selling author
post #8 of 12 Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 7:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
Unfortunately you will have to remove the left and right upper tupperware and nose cone to access the head light assembly. Its not a difficult job, but it can be a slightly time consuming. I can do it in an hour, but I've had practice with it over the past year installing HID lights. The only gotcha is the hidden screw at the top front of the nose cone. Otherwise, make a note on the electrical connections to the nose cone for reassembly. I forgot to reattached one the first time I had the nose cone off and thought I really screwed something up when I didn't get power to my headlights.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Thanks very much for this. Exactly what I needed to know. I've taken off the tupperware on one side to repair quick release fuel lines so I know what I am up against. Have never messed with a headlight or a nose cone but I reckon I will figure it out. - Jim Bob
Patric likes this.

Forever motorcycle nut
Best selling author
post #9 of 12 Old Mar 6th, 2016, 12:16 pm Thread Starter

I am still having a bit of a hard time believing that in order to replace my headlight assembly I have to remove, according to all of the advice I've received here, the tupperware on both sides of the bike, the windscreen, instrument panel cover, and finally that allows me to remove the nose cone to get at the headlight. Is this the storied BMW engineering I've heard about all my life?

Forever motorcycle nut
Best selling author
post #10 of 12 Old Mar 6th, 2016, 1:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You saw the pictures of where the three screws are and the adjuster cable. If you think you can squat in front of the tire and lay back on the fender while you reach up in that cramped space, then you will not have to remove any tupperware. But it will be a heck of a lot easier if you do.

And yes BMW's storied engineering is strictly for performance and not maintenance.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 12 Old Mar 6th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRobertBob View Post
I am still having a bit of a hard time believing that in order to replace my headlight assembly I have to remove, according to all of the advice I've received here, the tupperware on both sides of the bike, the windscreen, instrument panel cover, and finally that allows me to remove the nose cone to get at the headlight. Is this the storied BMW engineering I've heard about all my life?
It seems like a lot, but it is not difficult. Get the Clymer manual and you'll see it's not that bad.
post #12 of 12 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 5:26 pm

If you look at the first picture above, you'll see that the windscreen and instrument panel cover do not need to be "removed". Once you get the side panels off, it's 4 screws from the base of the instrument panel cover (where the windscreen sits), that hidden screw behind the map light, that other hidden screw under the front of the instrument panel cover, 2 of the 3 mirror mounts on each side, and 3 other screws along the bottom of each side. Then it's just unplugging wires. On reassembly, note the tiny notches at the very top of the mirror surround that must be tucked in for alignment.

'15 GTLE

Last edited by smahon; Mar 9th, 2016 at 5:40 pm.

Tags
bulbs, cladding, headlight, lens

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in