LT seats? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Axle
  • 2 Post By MikeERideWNC
  • 1 Post By garage monster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 1st, 2016, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

LT seats?

So, the OEM seat on my 1999 LT has been worked over and some memory foam added. It feels pretty good but I'd like to know who makes a seat for the LT besides Corbin. I had a Yamaha Road Star with the Ultimate seat and loved it but not available for the LT. You would think that with the popularity of the LT, there would be more out there. Any suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 1st, 2016, 11:06 pm

Re: LT seats?

You're probably going to get boat load of info on this question, and I doubt you'll find a true winner.

As far as off-the-shelf seats, you're right, there really aren't any. However, there are a number of custom seat builders out there. I believe the very best seats are made by a guy named Rich in Kingston, WA, (Rich's Custom Seats I think). He's a stand up guy, has a great shop and you can even stay overnight at his place!

If you're planning on doing long days in the saddle, (500 miles +), a good custom seat is the best investment you can make.

GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief4fels View Post
So, the OEM seat on my 1999 LT has been worked over and some memory foam added. It feels pretty good but I'd like to know who makes a seat for the LT besides Corbin. I had a Yamaha Road Star with the Ultimate seat and loved it but not available for the LT. You would think that with the popularity of the LT, there would be more out there. Any suggestions ?

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 1:36 am

Garage

Both Kontour and Russell day long used to be regarded highly, mines a Russell to be honest I don't like it. good luck on whatever you get. I still think unless you do iron butts,, jump off every 2 hrs for a few minutes drink some water and head off for another 2rs and its time to fill it with fuel.
bfree likes this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 5:30 am

Have had some problems too.
After Years someone came up with a air cushion.
Use it for a long time now is a Air Hawk 2, size 35 X 35 cm.
It is not like all the problems are gone but you can ride a day long without pain in your legs und but.
Makes it a lot better.

Manfred
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 6:01 am

Quote:
So, the OEM seat on my 1999 LT has been worked over and some memory foam added. It feels pretty good but I'd like to know who makes a seat for the LT besides Corbin. ... You would think that with the popularity of the LT, there would be more out there. Any suggestions ?
There are/were several options for custom K1200LT seats. I've been tempted more than once, but was always afraid I'd spend hundreds on a set I didn't like any better than what I already had.

A decade and a half ago, I reshaped the OEM seat by removing the cover, trimming the foam, and replacing the cover. During the trimming process, I'd sit on the seat to check the fit and then make more adjustments to the foam.

The other thing I do for those long days is carry a Bead Rider and an Air Hawk cushion. When I get a little saddle sore after hours of riding, adding or removing one or the other of those makes a huge difference. Both items are relatively cheap and pack small taking up little luggage space. The BeadRider is great in the heat and rain as it cools and drains. The AirHawk really adjusts with different amount of air and distributes you weight evenly in the saddle.

You might consider those as options before gambling the big bucks on a custom seat.
Enjoy your KLT
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 6:17 am

I am on a Rick Mayer.

I like Sargent's as for motorcycle seats go.

Corbin seats are nice, but the customer service is the absolute worst.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 7:22 am

Have you actually had a negative customer service experience with Corbin that you'd like to share with us, or are you just passing a comment along? I've had several Corbin seats on several BMW motorcycles over the last 45 years. While Corbin's are not my favorite seat, their customer service has been Just as good as any other company.
post #8 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 7:22 am

I have 150K on the original seats, but needed some adjustment for my height. I found an amazing group in Astech seats in Indiana. These guys basically rebuilt my seat, gave me at least 1-2" of ability to flat foot the bike at stops, and it still looks original-I don't like ANY of the after seat looks quite frankly. And I didn't have to take out a second mortgage to get it done. I don't know where you are from, but they will do this while you wait/watch if you drive to see them in Indiana. I have done many 800 + mile days with no problems. Hope this helps. There are probably many other small shops like this and perhaps one near you.

2000 LT 207K miles
2010 RT 29K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 7:54 am

There are two basic categories for aftermarket seats: first is a custom modification of an existing seat built using the owner-supplied seat pan. An example of this type is the top notch Russell Day Long Saddle, which in my opinion is the very best aftermarket seat money can buy. Both Bill Mayer saddles now run by his son Rocky Mayer, and Rick Mayer saddles built by Rocky's estranged brother Rick use a design sold by their father Bill to Russell. For what it's worth, Rocky has had a better reputation over the years than his brother Rick.

Another category of aftermarket seats such as Sergeant and Corbin are built on their own seat pan. I have owned several of each brand. The Sargent seats fit as well as an original BMW seat, and are a close second in comfort behind Russell. Corbin seats do not fit as well as the original seat, and while not uncomfortable, they are hard when compared to most other brands. Because they provide their own seat pan, Sergeant, Corbin and others like them have faster delivery and do not require you to supply and ship a seat to them for modification.

More sources can be found by browsing the BMW MOA Owners News magazine.
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 4:15 pm

Quote:
I don't know where you are located but try Mean City Cycles - Custom Seat Modifications located in Maiden, North Carolina. I have several seat modified by them and was completely satisfied. They will do as little or as much as you want to a seat.
post #11 of 16 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 6:02 pm

Yeah... 2012ish?- So I had two Forth Gen VFRs.
I was making both absolutely exactly the same. I had two Corbin seats since this was the only company who made an aftermarket seat in the 90's for the VFR.
I called for days along with sending e-mails. After a week of not being able to communicate with a human, I picked up the phone and got someone a Sergent's on the first try.
I told them what I wanted then sent the seats, one week later I had two beautiful Corbin seats with new covers and Sargent's badging.

2003- One morning my wife and I went to the Corbin store in Daytona to get her a new seat for her SV650s.
We went in the store touched the seat, inquired about purchasing the seat and were told they could not sell anything that day... Saturday? We left...
We bought the Suzuki gel seat instead.

I started shopping with Sargent's in 2002.Carbon Fiber mono for a Ducati 996. Their fit and finish is superb. Corbin is excelent quality, but I feel they are not there when you need them. I have heard the same stories as mine on other forums.
We are still in America, so you can buy from whomever you wish... Until Bernie or Hilary take office. Then everything will come from China because Americans won't have jobs.

Notahog and want2tour like this.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 9:34 pm

Quote:
I have a 2000 LT front heated seat if you're interested.....Pretty good condition....Kept them when I sold the bike...

PM me

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT

Last edited by OKUIII; Mar 4th, 2016 at 9:35 pm. Reason: Left something out
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 10:42 pm

Prior to purchasing my LT 5 months ago I toured for 6 years on my Hayabusa. I am an Iron Butt member and an SS1000 on the Corbin seat was a piece of cake. Last year my Corbin needed a recover due to a seam issue. I called Corbin and was quoted a 4 week turnaround or longer. I asked to pay in advance to get in line and send in the seat when my turn arrived. They said no. I thought the price quoted was outrageous. I called Laam seats in Redding California. Laam answered quoted a 3 day turn around and for slightly less covered the seat, re-did some padding and added a heater for less than the Corbin quote. His turn around was 2 days. he also will do work while you wait or vist the nearby mall. Great seat.

BTW. It was not my first Corbin seat, but no more.
want2tour likes this.

Still rolling in Southern Oregon
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 4th, 2016, 11:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreuter View Post
Have had some problems too.
After Years someone came up with a air cushion.
Use it for a long time now is a Air Hawk 2, size 35 X 35 cm.
It is not like all the problems are gone but you can ride a day long without pain in your legs und but.
Makes it a lot better.

Manfred
Gotta agree with Manfred - I suffered from NumbBum syndrome. Got an AirHawk and now that, literal, PITA has gone. Still gotta work on my poor posture, though.
Cheers!

2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue
They call me......Tony
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 6th, 2016, 7:32 pm
SEG

In 2009, I picked up a Rich's seat and it was a marked improvement over the stock seat, much better. Still, it was not as good as a Russell Day Long I had on a Moto Guzzi years ago. Subsequently, I got another stock seat got an RDL. Rich's is waterproof so that's an advantage but I use the RDL more often. So I've got two custom seats. (And for now, I'm not interested in selling the spare seat.) Many years ago, I tried a Corbin and I thought it was a waste of money. Others have had good luck with Corbin, not me. RDL is not a pretty seat, but I'm not looking at it when riding, and I can ride a lot more with an RDL, than other customs seats. We will all have different preferences so you may find something that works better for you. Good luck searching for an alternative to the stock seat-you'll be glad you made the upgrade. Money well spent.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 4:40 pm

Testimony here for the "Rocky" Meyer. He had me take pictures with both just me and my wife on the bike and asked what I was specifically looking for. For me it was better support and tailbone relief. I couldn't go 75 miles before having to get off before, now I can do a tank of gas. The seat is beautiful, real lether (extra $$) and looks as if BMW put it there, except for the fact that we all know BMW would never include a superior quality seat on any motorcycle.

'15 GTLE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in