• 3 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By Scouter-50
  • 5 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By guitarjim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Mar 1st, 2016, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Engine "boggs" on higher speed acceleration

2007 K1200LT with 13K miles. Riding yesterday. Performed great. Up on the bypass @ 70 mph. 5th gear. Rolled on the throttle to pass a truck at higher speed and the engine bogs with every attempt to pass. Reduced speed and remainder trip uneventful. Suggestions? Thanks Guys. Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Mar 1st, 2016, 2:58 pm

Re: Engine "boggs" on higher speed acceleration

Did the engine in fact lose rpms, or did the bike lose speed, and engine Rev?

If the engine truly bogs at full throttle can you replicate it in lower gears as well? If so my first thoughts are:

Poor fuel

Clogged fuel filter

Clogged air filter

If the engine revs and the bike loses speed (which isn't what you described) I'd say clutch.

Which isn't likely with your miles unless you have a leaking rear main, or clutch slave cylinder.
johnbaker15 likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old Mar 1st, 2016, 5:06 pm

I agree completely with superstar. Replaced my clutch two years ago. Engine revs and bike slows.
Cheers

post #4 of 24 Old Mar 1st, 2016, 6:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dladika View Post
2007 K1200LT with 13K miles. Riding yesterday. Performed great. Up on the bypass @ 70 mph. 5th gear. Rolled on the throttle to pass a truck at higher speed and the engine bogs with every attempt to pass. Reduced speed and remainder trip uneventful. Suggestions? Thanks Guys. Doug

You are at the bottom end of the power band in 5th gear @70. Next time drop it down to 4th and see what she does. Don't worry about over reving as first gear alone is good to 62 MPH before you hit the rev limiter. This old girl comes alive above 5,000 RPM. At 70 you are turning 3,8-4,000 RPM in 5th - good for economic cruising.
sailor likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old Mar 1st, 2016, 6:44 pm

I had a similar problem when I got mine. High rpm bog. Turned out to be a split in the short fuel hose inside the tank. Replaced all lines with stock and stock clamps. End of problem. Look inside the tank when you turn on the key and see if there is swirling of the fuel inside. Use a flashlight not a match.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 24 Old Mar 1st, 2016, 7:15 pm

+1 on the flashlight.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #7 of 24 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Garage

All good thoughts and advise. My recollection is that the RPM's actually seemed to drop a little. I didn't drop a gear to see if that helped, just backed off and moved over behind the vehicle I tried to pass. It accelerates beautifully up through the gears; just high gear bog when attempting acceleration.
I need to take it out again and see if I can reproduce. The bike did "sit" for a long time before I purchased; perhaps "gum" in the injectors?
Will drive and try to reproduce before pronouncing it "defective."
Thank you everyone for your excellent and timely responses.
Doug
post #8 of 24 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 10:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

These bikes, as I understand, likes to be ridden. When I got mine, back in August of 2015, it would stall in idle position al the time. I started riding, and that went away. Perhaps not the same thing you have, but my point is go ride enjoy your bike. Make people turn their heads to look at it as you pass by!

Ride safe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 24 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 11:51 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks. Good advice. It did sit for quite a while. Only got to ride it a few times before winter. Really needs a good long ride and often. :-) Best Wishes
post #10 of 24 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 12:03 pm

If it continues, I'm with the folks in the fuel department. This bike has an in the tank fuel filter. If there was water in the fuel, can happen on winter storage with ethanol fuel, the paper in the fuel filter can clog. Also ten years is about the end of the line for all the rubber hoses inside the tank (and the filter of course). There is a strainer in the system also, but it seldom mugs up. Also consider a new set of ignition wires from beemerboneyard.
sailor and ALL4BMW like this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #11 of 24 Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 11:00 pm

Sea Foam is the easiest and cheapest thing to try on your bike first. Works well when used as recommended. Every fourth tank and once on long trip.
ibbones likes this.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #12 of 24 Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 8:35 pm

5th gear is the overdrive, "save you some gas" gear, at 70mph. I had the same experience of trying to roll on in 5th while going about 70mph. I couldn't believe how sluggish the bike was. So, I dropped it into 4th and was doing 90+ in no time. Now, rumor has it that once you shift into 5th gear while going about 90mph, you can get to 110+ quickly. Getting used to listening to higher RPMs can be a new experience when coming from a cruiser background. To me, it seems these bikes aren't made for the low growl but rather the high scream of RPMs.
ALL4BMW and Mark65 like this.
post #13 of 24 Old Mar 8th, 2016, 7:00 am Thread Starter

Garage

Very helpful. Thank you. Doug
post #14 of 24 Old Mar 14th, 2016, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Garage

The bike further deteriorated and is now in the shop as of Saturday AM. It would not run below 4000 RPM in any gear. Only maintained power when rev's above 4500. Would quit completely coming to a stop unless clutch held in and rev's kept high to prevent stalling. "she" is a sick girl. I'll keep you posted on the final diagnosis.
post #15 of 24 Old Mar 14th, 2016, 11:16 am

Quote:
The bike further deteriorated and is now in the shop as of Saturday AM. It would not run below 4000 RPM in any gear. Only maintained power when rev's above 4500. Would quit completely coming to a stop unless clutch held in and rev's kept high to prevent stalling. "she" is a sick girl. I'll keep you posted on the final diagnosis.
Definitely sounds fuel related like a split interior fuel line that got worse or deteriorating fuel pump/clogged filter.

We will be waiting for what the shop tells you.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #16 of 24 Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thought I was good for the diagnosis; replacing fuel lines; $145 for fuel lines and 3 hours of labor. Received a call and the fuel pump failed after replacing the lines. Severe rust and corrosion apparently for sitting for more than 5 years without being ridden or run by the previous owner. Now we are going for a total of $1500 for all repairs. I'm just sick about this. Though I had a pristine older low mileage bike in great condition for a good price. Moral of the story for me; I always manage to not think of something that buries me later; don't buy a bike that has been completely static for such a long time or negotiate the price to cover the contingencies. I'm just venting and feeling blindsided. Sorry guys.
post #17 of 24 Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Thought I was good for the diagnosis; replacing fuel lines; $145 for fuel lines and 3 hours of labor. Received a call and the fuel pump failed after replacing the lines. Severe rust and corrosion apparently for sitting for more than 5 years without being ridden or run by the previous owner. Now we are going for a total of $1500 for all repairs. I'm just sick about this. Though I had a pristine older low mileage bike in great condition for a good price. Moral of the story for me; I always manage to not think of something that buries me later; don't buy a bike that has been completely static for such a long time or negotiate the price to cover the contingencies. I'm just venting and feeling blindsided. Sorry guys.
Thank you for the follow up. Certainly hope it is running well now given the cost.
I understand your frustrations... only a bit, as I do my own maintenance for last 35 years.
Sadly, you could have bough a very good after-market fuel-pump and hoses, then do the job yourself for less than $US$ 300.

The high price of the OEM pump, plus many hours of labor at dealer's high price is what is killing many owners of many nice / used K1200LT. This is the main reason why I always reply to potential buyers: do NOT buy ANY complex / sophisticated bike that is 10+ years old if you cannot do most the wrenching / repair yourself. This applies also to many complex cars these days having tons of electronics.
Patric, norton and dladika like this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #18 of 24 Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Thank you for the follow up. Certainly hope it is running well now given the cost.
I understand your frustrations... only a bit, as I do my own maintenance for last 35 years.
Sadly, you could have bough a very good after-market fuel-pump and hoses, then do the job yourself for less than $US$ 300.

The high price of the OEM pump, plus many hours of labor at dealer's high price is what is killing many owners of many nice / used K1200LT. This is the main reason why I always reply to potential buyers: do NOT buy ANY complex / sophisticated bike that is 10+ years old if you cannot do most the wrenching / repair yourself. This applies also to many complex cars these days having tons of electronics.
+1 John. If you can't wrench stay away from BMW.

Robert
Patric likes this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #19 of 24 Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
+1 John. If you can't wrench stay away from BMW.

Robert
Robert,
As I have posted in the past and also recently, this issue is NOT ONY about BMW motorcycles, it is about any vehicle (2 or 4 wheels) that is:
- fairly complex with many systems,
- AND , the vehicle age is 10 years old or more,
- AND/OR may not have been maintained well OR not ridden all the time (too much storage time).

Too many potential buyer want "something-for-nothing".
They assume they can buy a complex / fancy vehicle for about $ 4,000 to $ 9,000 that would cost NEW $ 25,000 (or $50 K for a car). They also assume their only loss in this deal will be the fact the vehicle paint is not perfect and that they are not the 1st owner - so they say: "so what, it is not new, but I can live with that". They forget some of the risks, cost and complexity involved to repair it at the dealer if needed.

Basically they expect this 10+ years old vehicle to be as reliable as new with just a bit of external apparent wear. Maybe sometimes you are lucky but NOT everyone is when buying 10+ years old vehicle. If you cannot maintain it yourself, ask for a best and worst case scenario in terms of cost estimate from experience owners OR from a good dealer.

I rest my case ;-)
Patric, norton, Jim_McG and 2 others like this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #20 of 24 Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 9:07 pm

Man Sailor, not only did you rain on my parade, you made me walk behind the elephants too. Buying a used vehicle is always a risk, especially as vehicles have become more and more complex with electronics and computer systems.

Simply put, a low mileage garage queen will more than likely be trouble. A 9 year old bike with only 13k on it was probably ridden a lot the first couple of years. Then, set to the side for whatever reason and ignored. This means a lot of things that can go wrong. But, if you are handy with tools and find a nice forum such as this with people willing to help, you can use your free time to work on your vehicle to get it back into shape. Then, you are ready to brag to your friends about the great barn find and how your brought her back to life.
Jim_McG likes this.
post #21 of 24 Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 9:42 pm

+1 on Sailors case!

I am slowly working through all the aged systems on my 01 to restore at least some sense of reliability with no service history. It isn't cheap even though I am doing all my own wrenching. I want to replace the shocks and that will be $1500 to $2000. Looking for used that can be rebuilt on the cheap. Not ready for that expense yet though.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #22 of 24 Old Mar 24th, 2016, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Exactly!!
post #23 of 24 Old Mar 29th, 2016, 1:42 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Now that the fuel system has essentially been replaced, what an incredible difference in responsiveness and performance. And, one thing that I thought was a characteristic of the bike, having to dump more throttle to start off smoothly from a stop, has also disappeared; what I would now consider a smooth start like other bikes I've had. Must have been the first "subtle" clue that I was loosing fuel pressure due to cracked and rotting hoses and a sick fuel pump. The bike is now truly amazing.
post #24 of 24 Old Mar 29th, 2016, 2:18 pm

Quote:
Now that the fuel system has essentially been replaced, what an incredible difference in responsiveness and performance. And, one thing that I thought was a characteristic of the bike, having to dump more throttle to start off smoothly from a stop, has also disappeared; what I would now consider a smooth start like other bikes I've had. Must have been the first "subtle" clue that I was loosing fuel pressure due to cracked and rotting hoses and a sick fuel pump. The bike is now truly amazing.
Welcome to the LT club

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in