'03 LT Sidestand Switch - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Patric
  • 1 Post By want2tour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 10:36 am Thread Starter

'03 LT Sidestand Switch

Is there an up-switch contact to let the bike know the side kickstand is up? On several occasions, I have to tap it with my heel to start the bike. I can't find any contact when the stand is up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[img]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/7/7/5/8/

1998 Honda Shadow 65K - sold
2003 BMW K1200LT - 10060K
IBI Member (1K Miles in 17 Hrs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Re: '03 LT Sidestand Switch

Yes. It's on the pivot pin of the stand. It is probably gunked up (technical term). If you get down under the bike you should be able to clean it well.

Or, you can do what I did and remove it all together. You'll have to inset a jumper in the connector under the left sidepanel to make the bike think it is up, but that's easy.

GB

George Barnes
'06 K1200LT
'01 K1200LT, totaled with 180,000 miles, 10/18/07,

'97, '99, '01, '05, '07 & '09 Iron Butt Rallies, (won the '99)
IBA#146

post #3 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 12:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDRDoc View Post
Is there an up-switch contact to let the bike know the side kickstand is up? On several occasions, I have to tap it with my heel to start the bike. I can't find any contact when the stand is up
The switch is on the pivot point for the stand. It is circular with a PN 61 31 2 305 950 SWITCH, KICKSTAND - L=820MM $162.09

Max BMW

If you are having to kick it, it sounds like it needs to be replaced. I don't think it can be disassembled and cleaned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61312305950_1_B.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	99105  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 1:43 pm Thread Starter

Thank you both and I'll go look at it.

[img]
1/7/7/5/8/

post #5 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 3:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi , if you choose to eliminate the safety switch on your side stand, remember, it is there for a reason. I had a friend that had an aftermarket side stand on a Gold wing. With no safety switch on the stand he rode away with the stand down. That ride ended him up in the ditch,... a quadriplegic ...Not Good...
Munmi and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #6 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 4:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDRDoc View Post
These switches have 3 wires in order to give a status for BOTH the UP or the DOWN position.
BMW has use the same switches on many models for many years with minor differences in color of a single wire.

With ignition OFF and the switch connector opened, you can test both UP and DOWN function for any intermittent problems using a simple OhmMeter function. Connector is located on left side (see attached photo number 1).

For the switch logic (continuity in various positions), see attached photo number 2:
Pin #1: WHITE wire (stand UP signal)
Pin #2: RED wire (stand DOWN signal)
Pin #3: BROWN wire (common ground)

There should be continuity between Brown and White wires (Pin 1 and 3) ONLY when side-stand is UP.
There should be continuity between Brown and Red wires (Pin 2 and 3) ONLY when side-stand is DOWN
OTHER NOTES:
(1) Female side of connector shown above is the side-stand side. The main wire harness side uses very delicate pins (male side of connector).

(2) When the side-stand connector is left unplugged (or a wire shorted), the starter interlock will remain active and the engine temperature light will stay OFF after ignition is tuned ON. In addition, the fuel-pump will not prime but the starter will still crank. Obviously the engine cannot be started in this state.

(3) From the main wire harness side, jump the Brown wire (Ground) and the White wire (Side-stand Up signal) to bypass the Side-Stand switch and allow the starter relay to start the bike.

(4) Starter safety interlock system uses 3 switches: Side-stand, Neutral, Clutch lever. In addition, if you have the optional Alarm/Immobilizer FOB, the starter safety interlock is also activated in certain conditions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT_Connectors_left-side_sidestand_switch.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	99121   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Side-stand-Switch_Connector-Pins (with notes).jpg
Views:	429
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	99129  

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #7 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 5:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
The switch is on the pivot point for the stand. It is circular with a PN 61 31 2 305 950 SWITCH, KICKSTAND - L=820MM $162.09

Max BMW

If you are having to kick it, it sounds like it needs to be replaced. I don't think it can be disassembled and cleaned.
You could see who's parting out a similar bike and get a used but functional replacement.
Patric likes this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
You could see who's parting out a similar bike and get a used but functional replacement.
Early on I thought i had an issue with my side stand so I went ahead and bought one so i have it in my parts stash. Paid full price so no deal from me as I plan on keeping the bike for some time.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #9 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 7:10 pm

Personally, I would advise to NOT eliminate the sidestand switch. My own technique for shutting the bike off in the garage, at the gas station, everywhere, is to put the sidestand down, verifying that the bike should not take a nap. I hate it when that happens.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #10 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 7:25 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
Personally, I would advise to NOT eliminate the sidestand switch. My own technique for shutting the bike off in the garage, at the gas station, everywhere, is to put the sidestand down, verifying that the bike should not take a nap. I hate it when that happens.
+1 Glide up to the pump in first gear. Kick the stand down (kill the engine) and take up the slack before she goes on the stand. Safest way to do it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 11 Old Feb 28th, 2016, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

I have to agree, that the engine cutoff switch is there for a reason and thank you to those who offered their suggestions. Points well received,
I did remove the switch, cleaned it up a bit and lubed it with some silicon spray. As soon as the weather warms up I'll give it a try. If it still occurs, I'll replace. I guess the bike after 100,006 miles I got the use out of it.

[img]
1/7/7/5/8/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in