• 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Feb 27th, 2016, 11:39 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Transmission Drain Plug Condition

Fellow riders, good day!

I now have my 99 K1200LT for six months. Bought it with 26.6K miles. I could not find any service history, and it appears that I am the second owner (bought it from a Honda dealer in Palestine, TX). They claim the oil was changed (but handed me the filter, which turned out to be not for this bike), but I did replace the oil anyway. That thing was pitch dark. I also changed the oil filter (had a bit of a challenge with a broken bolt inside the oil cover, but received great help from this forum). I also replaced the final drive oil (pitch dark), and today I changed the transmission fluid. I have the feeling it was never done. The bike now has 28.7K miles.

The question here is: looking at the pictures, does the transmission drain plug residue look normal to you, considering the plug may have never been removed? I had a very hard time removing it, but finally did it. Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

I have not noticed anything weird while changing gears, though.

Thank you,

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3792.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	98905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3796.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	98913  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Feb 27th, 2016, 12:05 pm

Re: Transmission Drain Plug Condition

For 20K miles looks normal. Next time will be far less if nothing but a little mud. Good that your going through the bike. Fresh tires? And think about Spiegler brake lines. The old rubber ones are way past due. Ignition wires from beemerboneyard will be a nice treat for the bike also.
Patric and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 27 Old Feb 27th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Well. Considering that it's probably never been changed from the looks of it. Just change your fluids and do the maintenance and ride it. Check your back wheel for play to see if final drive is ok. Check out Bmw club of northern illinios for more how to videos.
ALL4BMW likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

post #4 of 27 Old Feb 27th, 2016, 12:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I see nothing wrong with the collection of fuzz.
Patric and ALL4BMW like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 Old Feb 27th, 2016, 1:39 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
For 20K miles looks normal. Next time will be far less if nothing but a little mud. Good that your going through the bike. Fresh tires? And think about Spiegler brake lines. The old rubber ones are way past due. Ignition wires from beemerboneyard will be a nice treat for the bike also.

Hello beech!

Indeed. Just got the front tire changed, Metz 880. Rear was replaced when I purchased, 6 months ago. It is a Bridgestone. Thank you for the tips. I will plan on replacing your recommendations.

Ride safe!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 27 Old Feb 27th, 2016, 1:44 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
Well. Considering that it's probably never been changed from the looks of it. Just change your fluids and do the maintenance and ride it. Check your back wheel for play to see if final drive is ok. Check out Bmw club of northern illinios for more how to videos.

Thank you! Those videos are very helpful. I just purchased the air and fuel filters, and that will be my next project. I have been a Honda rider for 9 years, and never worked on my bikes. This forum and the BMW Illinois videos gave me the inspiration, not to mention the money saved.

Final drive appears in good condition.

Ride safe!

post #7 of 27 Old Feb 27th, 2016, 1:53 pm

Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place if you bought a LT. The motor-heads on this forum and you know who you are have vast knowledge and experience with these machines and are very willing to help, Good luck with your new LT.
ALL4BMW and mcracer like this.

Scott
2007 LT
post #8 of 27 Old Feb 27th, 2016, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL4BMW View Post
Thank you! Those videos are very helpful. I just purchased the air and fuel filters, and that will be my next project. I have been a Honda rider for 9 years, and never worked on my bikes. This forum and the BMW Illinois videos gave me the inspiration, not to mention the money saved.

Final drive appears in good condition.

Ride safe!

Go ahead and buy new fuel lines and stock clamps for inside the tank. This will save you headaches down the road. The crimp pliers are about $30.00.

Robert

P.S.: Jerry, I'm not too far from you if you need a hand. I'm just outside of Columbus.
ALL4BMW likes this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #9 of 27 Old Mar 5th, 2016, 1:40 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
Go ahead and buy new fuel lines and stock clamps for inside the tank. This will save you headaches down the road. The crimp pliers are about $30.00.

Robert

P.S.: Jerry, I'm not too far from you if you need a hand. I'm just outside of Columbus.

Good day, Robert!

I am trying to understand/identify what is the fuel lines and stock clamp O would like to go ahead and replace these as well. The bile only has 29K miles, but also has 17 years, so...

As I prepare to change the fuel filter and air filter, other recommendations I received were to replace the quick disconnects, which I found on Beemer...the Hyperpro shocks (purple color) on EPM, and ignition wires (have no idea where to by or part number).

Would there be anything else I should consider, since the fairings will be off? Also, I noticed the bike is so dirty under the fairings. Can I spray simple green and hose it down? Or leave it dirty?

Thank you for tour advice. Any additional input from fellow riders is also greatly appreciated.

Jerry

post #10 of 27 Old Mar 5th, 2016, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
I have some brand new Spiegler brake line. Smoke/clear color. They will fit your bike.

Call me if interested. 702 469 6718.
Jean
post #11 of 27 Old Mar 5th, 2016, 5:01 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannot View Post
I have some brand new Spiegler brake line. Smoke/clear color. They will fit your bike.

Call me if interested. 702 469 6718.

Jean

Thank you. Breaklines were done at time of purchase, in August 2015.

post #12 of 27 Old Mar 5th, 2016, 5:26 pm

I say the plug looks fine. This is what it will look like at about 150,000 miles...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20131025_008.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	99729  
Patric and ALL4BMW like this.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #13 of 27 Old Mar 6th, 2016, 9:25 am

Quote:
Good day, Robert!

I am trying to understand/identify what is the fuel lines and stock clamp O would like to go ahead and replace these as well. The bile only has 29K miles, but also has 17 years, so...

As I prepare to change the fuel filter and air filter, other recommendations I received were to replace the quick disconnects, which I found on Beemer...the Hyperpro shocks (purple color) on EPM, and ignition wires (have no idea where to by or part number).

Would there be anything else I should consider, since the fairings will be off? Also, I noticed the bike is so dirty under the fairings. Can I spray simple green and hose it down? Or leave it dirty?

Thank you for tour advice. Any additional input from fellow riders is also greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Jerry, I have the Oetiker clamp pliers and a spring compressor for the Hyper pros. Pick up some clamps from a BMW shop, I have a few but don't remember if I have enough. Buy plug wires (if necessary) and filters from Beemer Boneyard.

Robert
ALL4BMW likes this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #14 of 27 Old Mar 6th, 2016, 11:31 am

Jerry,do not spray with simple green and water under the plastic. Too many connectors and small bits. Simple green is nasty if left on for long and and seeps into small spaces. Look around for photos, the quick connects should be placed in easy to get to locations. Remember that you must hold the release tap in completely while re connecting them or you can nick the O-ring and cause a leak. Beemer bone yard sells them. You can go on https://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx
and find your OEM parts you needed for the inside the tank work. The crimp type Oetiker type clamps need to be very snug. Regular pliers will not work on these clamps to crush the ears. You have to get into the little valley and crimp it. Very dull side cutters can work in a pinch. But not recommended. It happens once and a while if not tight enough a hose will pop off inside the tank and the bike quits. Can be confusing unless you remember that you recently worked on the bike fuel system. You may fine a reusable type clamp that is an over riding snap into position clamp inside your tank. If you can figure out how to manipulate them without the special pliers they are great. I bought some pliers for them but seldom run into them anymore.
ALL4BMW likes this.

Beech

post #15 of 27 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 12:20 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
Jerry, I have the Oetiker clamp pliers and a spring compressor for the Hyper pros. Pick up some clamps from a BMW shop, I have a few but don't remember if I have enough. Buy plug wires (if necessary) and filters from Beemer Boneyard.

Robert

Thank you, Robert!

I will probably buy the clamp pliers at Northern Tool. I will let you know about the compressor. As for the clamps, you are referring to which ones?

Also, would you recommend I change the front and rear springs to Hyperpro and keep the OEM shocks? It is $269 versus a new entire shock/spring combo.

How about steering damper. How do I know it is time to replace? 30k miles and 17 years. Do not think it has been ever replaced.

Thank you for your time. I see we are 50 minutes away from each other.

Jerry

post #16 of 27 Old Mar 9th, 2016, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Thank you, Robert!

I will probably buy the clamp pliers at Northern Tool. I will let you know about the compressor. As for the clamps, you are referring to which ones?

Also, would you recommend I change the front and rear springs to Hyperpro and keep the OEM shocks? It is $269 versus a new entire shock/spring combo.

How about steering damper. How do I know it is time to replace? 30k miles and 17 years. Do not think it has been ever replaced.

Thank you for your time. I see we are 50 minutes away from each other.

Jerry

Jerry, I put the springs only on mine at about 10K. I have 20K now. Others on this forum say about 30K is it for stock shocks. I know I will push mine further. I'm looking at the Yacugars right now as they have the longest rebuild interval. Repair the damper when it leaks, I have no idea how long that will be. If you go the HyperPro route, you can pull your shocks and bring them out and we can swap springs in less than an hour. On the clamps just go to Wild West and buy the stock ones. (4) 16 12 1176918 clamps, (1) "U" hose 16 14 2325808, (1) hose 16 14 2305760.

Robert
ALL4BMW likes this.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #17 of 27 Old May 18th, 2016, 7:24 am

Question for you guys that have recently changed your transmission fluid. Do you remember the size hex head it takes to remove the bolt from the muffler bracket. Is it an odd ball size like a 5.5mm? The Clymers manual does not state the size and Kirk's video doesn't reference the size. A 5mm is too small while the 6mm is a touch large. However, the hex head looks like it may be slightly buggered which may be why the 6mm doesn't fit.

While on the subject, the Clymers manual states there is not a BMW recommended transmission fluid change interval. What is the general consensus for changing transmission fluid?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #18 of 27 Old May 18th, 2016, 7:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
Question for you guys that have recently changed your transmission fluid. Do you remember the size hex head it takes to remove the bolt from the muffler bracket. Is it an odd ball size like a 5.5mm? The Clymers manual does not state the size and Kirk's video doesn't reference the size. A 5mm is too small while the 6mm is a touch large. However, the hex head looks like it may be slightly buggered which may be why the 6mm doesn't fit.

While on the subject, the Clymers manual states there is not a BMW recommended transmission fluid change interval. What is the general consensus for changing transmission fluid?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
No oddball sizes on the LT to my knowledge. I don't know if my 2007 is the same as your 2000, but on mine the small end bolt is 6 mm and the large end is 8 mm.

Might be deformed or full of road crud. Suggest scratching around in the hex drive hole with an awl or small screwdriver to loosen stuff, then spray with carb cleaner. Watch your eyes as spraying into a cavity can be hazardous to your eyesight.
Patric likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #19 of 27 Old May 18th, 2016, 8:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The little one is a 6 mm the big one is 8 mm or a hex head (I have seen both).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #20 of 27 Old May 20th, 2016, 7:29 pm

It was a pain in the rear, but I finally was able to remove the bolt and drain the transmission fluid. I think the magnet looks good.

I need a sanity check before adding new fluid. Clymer's states to use SAE 90. I have in my notes to use 75W-140. Please confirm if 75W-140 is acceptable or preferable over SAE 90W.

Thanks,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tranny Plug.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	107633  
post #21 of 27 Old May 20th, 2016, 9:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Here's page 75 from the LT's maintenance manual...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_K1200LT_Maintenance_Manual Page 75.pdf (55.8 KB, 60 views)

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #22 of 27 Old May 20th, 2016, 11:05 pm

Use the 90w or 75w90. Not the 140.
Patric likes this.

Beech

post #23 of 27 Old May 21st, 2016, 1:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Do "we" (the LT community), ever have get-togethers where the brainiacs of the group have hands on workshops to give us new to the group some expertise?
post #24 of 27 Old May 21st, 2016, 5:19 am

Garage

buy me a plane ticket, I'm in

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #25 of 27 Old May 21st, 2016, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
Here's page 75 from the LT's maintenance manual...
Thanks for the page Dave. Correct transmission fluid purchased and another job complete. Now it's time to install Saddleman's rebuilt final drive, install an auxiliary fuel tank, and replace my top case latch with a Fix It Before It Breaks. My weekend is full of wrenching.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #26 of 27 Old May 21st, 2016, 7:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldus View Post
Do "we" (the LT community), ever have get-togethers where the brainiacs of the group have hands on workshops to give us new to the group some expertise?
Yes, we did (at least before this year's CCR was cancelled). John Zieler used to put on an LT maintenance demonstration at the annual CCR's. My '07 served as the last maintenance demonstration bike, where John, with my assistance, changed the engine, transmission & final drive fluids, spark plugs, air filter, in-tank fuel lines & filter, and replaced a valve bucket in the Coeur d'Alene Resort Conference Center. Due to apparent declining interest in the maintenance demos on the LT, since it has been out of production for some time, and not much new participation/interest, it appears this was the last time the LT maintenance demonstration was to be performed.

I would assume that other interested LT riders would be happy in sharing their knowledge to the new-to-them LTs on a more regional basis. Although my '07 is now for sale, as I will be picking up a '16 K1600GTLE this Friday (don't believe the current "SOLD" designation in the classified section of this forum), I would be happy to share my knowledge with other Southern California LT owners.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

Last edited by JNW003; May 21st, 2016 at 7:38 pm. Reason: Oops
post #27 of 27 Old May 21st, 2016, 8:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

We also used to do "tech sessions" at various members homes and they were announced on the site by geographic area. I have hosted at least three at home and several up in the Smokey Mountains at the Ironhorse Motorcycle lodge during our twice a year events STC and SFMR.

All it usually takes is some one posting that they would like to have help with their maintenance and where they are. Then one of the resident experts will offer to hold a tech session at a central location. I am always up for one in North Alabama.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in