Power Windshield and Cee Bailey - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

Power Windshield and Cee Bailey

I just completed a 2500 mile trip with my new Cee Bailey #2 with Wings Windshield- Clear-1in. I found with the windshield fully down, I could not raise it up. This was at speed 65 to 85 on the slab. I thought something was wrong with the electric windshield. When I came to a stop, I tried it again and the shield raised. After casual inspection, it looks as if the shield touches the tupperware and at speed the motors do NOT have enough guts to raise. If I leave the sheild about 1/2 inch above the down position, it can be raised and lowered at speed.

Any one else had similar experience? I wonder if the size of the shield and the wings are causing excessive drag and the WS motor cannot handle it. Your comments please.

Jack Haughn
2006 Burgman AN650 Executive
2005 LT Yellow Metallic
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder
1996 Bike Friday Yellow/Orange
1980s DaHon Folding Bikes (2 of em)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 1:19 pm

I have the CB #2 -4 w/o wings. After installation I had the same problem you mention, it would not go up at speed. I thought it was the pressure on the windshield until a few members of this board told me it should work fine. I took it to my dealer and they found the lift mechanism was not working properly. They replaced it under warranty and it works fine now.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 1:21 pm

I should be getting my #2-2 from FedEx today. I'm really excited. I posted for peoples' opinions on the windshield earlier this month and heard your inquiry is about one of the potential issues with the Cee Bailey. Another useful thread is here:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=bailey
This was my original response for the Cee Bailey:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14083

Hope that helps!

Ryan - Motorradmitfahrer Maximus & Forumus Noobus sometimes
2003 K12LTC dressed in Black - "StratoCruiser"
Madison, WI
"where are the controls for the air conditioner on that bike?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Ultimate Riding Machine

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 2:14 pm

I have the same issue with my CB #2 -2 at speeds over 70 MPH.
Either I slow down enough to raise the shield or I just keep going with the shield in the low position. The protection is so great coupled with my flip-up helmet that I don't need to raise it anymore. It was a different story with my 3/4 helmet though...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #5 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 2:31 pm

I have the same issue at speed with both a CB and an AeroFlow - I just figure it is drag so I help the motor out by lifting gently w/ one hand while engaging the lift motor.

And I'm pretty certain my WS motor is good as I had to replace it, something about an "incident" involving my sidestand and dirt on the side of mountain .

Richard Kuethe
The Quiet Room
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 2:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I had the same issue with my new shield (the Z-Technik one) as well until someone with the same shield said they didn't have a problem. Now I don't either. I used a small amount of silicone lube spray at each of the mechanism pivot points now it moves just fine at 70 MPH. It does hesitate just a tad at the start but then it moves just fine. Use the spray sparingly.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Smile Comprehensive CeeBailey WS Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhammetter
I mentioned earlier my Cee Baileys was arriving today. I installed it right after work and immediately went for a ride. I was so excited... I'm going to write a comprehensive review now that I've experienced it.

The OEM Tall Windshield was scratched and would fog up really bad. I bought it used, so don't blame me In the rain and at night, it was so bad I had to ride with it down, of course increasing the helmet noise and resistance in the wind. I could barely hear the radio... all because the windshield...

So I did the research provided by the people on here and took the plunge. Since I'm 6' exactly, and others that height said "-2", I went that route: I bought the #2-2, clear, without wings. I immediately regretted it (buyers remorse) - $200 for a windshield I hadn't even seen. Is it tall enough? Is it ugly? Well, I had to wait a week and find out.

It is perfect. It is the same "effective" height as the OEM Tall WS because of the lip. In the down position, I can see RIGHT over it by about 1-2". In the up position, I see right under the lip about 1-2". Just great.

The amazing thing is that the wind protection is better in the up position than the OEM, but when in lowest position, it's almost better than up!! It's unreal. Truely something you'd have to ride with to appreciate it. The lip works wonders. I took my baseball cap off and honestly, my hair barely blew in the wind - and I didn't even get the wings! Not only does the new shield work, it looks great and much sportier than the OEM. It comes with a nice CeeBailey signature at the bottom which makes it obvious to tell it's aftermarket. Also, I did not have the raising issues at freeway speed. I went straight to the express way to find out and my motor must be strong enough because it went right up.

The only drawback: when it is raised all the way, there is a tiny point of distortion where the lip begins and aligns almost right with my eyes. But I must insist, this is hardly noticeable and is FAR OUTWEIGHED by the protection the shield provides.

Actually, there is one other drawback: when it hits the first bug. I kinda glared at it's guts, thought to myself "serves you right", and kept right on riding with a big smile.

IMO, if you're in the market, you can't go wrong chosing Cee Bailey. I'm considering writing their company to tell them how thrilled I am. I'm certainly glad I took the plunge. I hope this review helps out - it's definitely not fun spending $200 when you don't know what you'll get.

P.S. I also bough 2 bottles of their Aircraft Windshield cleaner and polish JUST to prevent anything like what happened to my OEM shield.
I can now complete my review as I just returned from my first night ride with the new windshield I tell ya, I'm just so amped when I get new toys for the bike...

Not only is this windshield fantastic for protection, it carries an additional benefit of nearly completely doing away with the reflection from the dash board. It used to drive me nuts seeing my cruise control and turn signal lights in my windshield, but now, honestly, it was only noticeable when I remembered to look for them. This feature is also thanks to the lip I was talking about before.

Just to reiterate how much protection it provides: it's a brisk 50 degrees in Madison tonight. I went out in a long sleeve t-shirt and a baseball cap, just because I planned on going "around the block". It turned out I was very confortable with only the aide of the grip heaters amazingly, this was WITH THE SHIELD DOWN!! MAN, unreal. At 65mph, shield down, 50 degrees, one would naturally expect your face to get very chilly very quickly... not the case.

I'm completely thrilled.

Ryan - Motorradmitfahrer Maximus & Forumus Noobus sometimes
2003 K12LTC dressed in Black - "StratoCruiser"
Madison, WI
"where are the controls for the air conditioner on that bike?"

The Ultimate Riding Machine

Last edited by rjhammetter; Sep 25th, 2006 at 10:47 pm.
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 7:22 pm
fas

Cool Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhammetter
. I'm going to write a comprehensive review now that I've experienced it. It is perfect. It is the same "effective" height as the OEM Tall WS because of the lip. In the down position, I can see RIGHT over it by about 1-2". In the up position, I see right under the lip about 1-2". Just great.

The amazing thing is that the wind protection is better in the up position than the OEM, but when in lowest position, it's almost better than up!! It's unreal. Truely something you'd have to ride with to appreciate it. The lip works wonders. I took my baseball cap off and honestly, my hair barely blew in the wind - and I didn't even get the wings! Not only does the new shield work, it looks great and much sportier than the OEM. It comes with a nice CeeBailey signature at the bottom which makes it obvious to tell it's aftermarket. Also, I did not have the raising issues at freeway speed. I went straight to the express way to find out and my motor must be strong enough because it went right up. IMO, if you're in the market, you can't go wrong chosing Cee Bailey. I'm considering writing their company to tell them how thrilled I am. I'm certainly glad I took the plunge. I hope this review helps out - it's definitely not fun spending $200 when you don't know what you'll get. P.S. I also bough 2 bottles of their Aircraft Windshield cleaner and polish JUST to prevent anything like what happened to my OEM shield.
Appreciate the review. My GT tall shield is a bit small so I am shopping. Thanks for taking the time to write the review.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:05 pm

Yes!!!

I have had the same troubles and all I do is keep it about an inch off the tupperware and its fine.

I do have a question for anyone who may have an answer?

I ordered some new wings to go by my new Cee Bailey windshield, has anyone ever changed them out? How easy or hard is it to do?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in