Spark Plug Wires - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Spark Plug Wires

Hi all. I had a chance to put a few miles on the new-to-me 2002 LT this past weekend. The engine seemed to idle a bit rough, and when slowing for a stop sign sometimes it would drop below 800 rpm and die. It seemed to run well as long as I kept the revs above 1200.

So, I started with the basics. I pulled the plugs and inspected them. All looked good with a nice even tan color. While I was inspecting, I noticed that the spark plug wires had several white spots that looked like they had been arcing. As a temporary fix, I cleaned and coated the outside of the wires with liquid electrical tape to see if it made a difference. I just got back from a ride and the roughness and stalling are gone. I don't know how long this "fix" will last, but I just wanted to share it with anyone else that suspects that they may have an arcing problem with their plug wires.

Basically, it indicated to me that it's time for new plug wires.

I would rather be lucky than good lookin'.

Bikes currently in the garage:
1970 Honda CB450
1972 BMW R75/5 Toaster
1978 BMW R100S
1981 Yamaha SR500
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1987 BMW R80RT
1987 Harley Davidson Tour Glide
1989 BMW K100RS ABS
1990 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
1991 BMW K1
2000 BMW R1200C
2002 Harley Davidson V-Rod
2002 BMW K1200LT
2009 Harley Davidson XR1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 1:03 pm

Re: Spark Plug Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdale View Post
Hi all. I had a chance to put a few miles on the new-to-me 2002 LT this past weekend. The engine seemed to idle a bit rough, and when slowing for a stop sign sometimes it would drop below 800 rpm and die. It seemed to run well as long as I kept the revs above 1200.

So, I started with the basics. I pulled the plugs and inspected them. All looked good with a nice even tan color. While I was inspecting, I noticed that the spark plug wires had several white spots that looked like they had been arcing. As a temporary fix, I cleaned and coated the outside of the wires with liquid electrical tape to see if it made a difference. I just got back from a ride and the roughness and stalling are gone. I don't know how long this "fix" will last, but I just wanted to share it with anyone else that suspects that they may have an arcing problem with their plug wires.

Basically, it indicated to me that it's time for new plug wires.
DALE,
This issue about plug wires rubbing inside the head cavity AND eventually creating arcing is very common on K1200LT/RS as they age.

Because BMW wants a fortune for these, the "best value" replacement parts commonly used is sold by BeemerBoneyard for $US$ 69.95 (a set of four including plug caps by NGK). When mine were 9 years old (approx 70,000 miles), these are the one I bought:
Brand New Silicone Spark Plug Wires, Set of 4, For All K1200RS/GT/LT Models

You can also find the same Kit at Euro-MotoElectrics here:
EnDuraLast - BMW K1200 Ignition Cable

If you need, spark-plugs, Oil-filter, Fuel-filter, Air-filter NOW would be a good time to include these in your order with either of these 2 suppliers. They both sell quality aftermarket filters that are the same -OR- equivalent to the BMW dealer. MAHLE and MANN are both official OEM supplier to BMW for AIR, OIL and FUEL filter. An XR7LDC spark plug from BOSCH is the same as what you get in the BMW labeled box at dealer (for much less).
saddleman, ALL4BMW and Aberdale like this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #3 of 5 Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thank you for the referrals, Sailor. I haven't started the search for new wires yet, so the recommendations are welcomed. I'll also consider the filters as well. Since the bike is new to me, it's probably a good idea to change all fluids/filters so that I have a baseline.

I just wanted to share that liquid electrical tape seemed to be a good temporary fix.

I would rather be lucky than good lookin'.

Bikes currently in the garage:
1970 Honda CB450
1972 BMW R75/5 Toaster
1978 BMW R100S
1981 Yamaha SR500
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1987 BMW R80RT
1987 Harley Davidson Tour Glide
1989 BMW K100RS ABS
1990 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
1991 BMW K1
2000 BMW R1200C
2002 Harley Davidson V-Rod
2002 BMW K1200LT
2009 Harley Davidson XR1200

Last edited by Aberdale; Feb 23rd, 2016 at 6:09 pm. Reason: typo

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 5th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
DALE,
This issue about plug wires rubbing inside the head cavity AND eventually creating arcing is very common on K1200LT/RS as they age.

Because BMW wants a fortune for these, the "best value" replacement parts commonly used is sold by BeemerBoneyard for $US$ 69.95 (a set of four including plug caps by NGK). When mine were 9 years old (approx 70,000 miles), these are the one I bought:
Brand New Silicone Spark Plug Wires, Set of 4, For All K1200RS/GT/LT Models

You can also find the same Kit at Euro-MotoElectrics here:
EnDuraLast - BMW K1200 Ignition Cable

If you need, spark-plugs, Oil-filter, Fuel-filter, Air-filter NOW would be a good time to include these in your order with either of these 2 suppliers. They both sell quality aftermarket filters that are the same -OR- equivalent to the BMW dealer. MAHLE and MANN are both official OEM supplier to BMW for AIR, OIL and FUEL filter. An XR7LDC spark plug from BOSCH is the same as what you get in the BMW labeled box at dealer (for much less).
Thank you, Sailor!

What an array of information I find on this forum. This is better than Facebook!

Here is what I am getting for the new-to-me 99 K1200LT with 29K miles (got it in August 2015 with 26.5K miles:

* Chrome Plated Fuel Line Disconnect
* Same ignition wires you got
* 4 new spark plugs Bosch XR7LDC

I just received the air and fuel filters (Mann).

I also plan to replace the springs with HyperPro.

Best of all (I hope), I am planning to do it my self.

I certainly appreciate your input and feedback. I see you and other riders are very active in this forum, and provides great information.

Thank you!

Jerry
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 5th, 2016, 11:15 pm

Liquid electrical tape, yes. I had a roll of fiberglass high voltage tape in the drawer and it turned out to just be right width for the circumference of the wire if I laid it on lengthwise. Then wrapped with electrical tape. Got the owner going until he could get a nice set from Beemerboneyard. Those little white dots are the tell tale sign. Big difference.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in