Side of the road - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:28 am Thread Starter

Smile Side of the road

Yesterday, I went for a little lunch ride from Detroit to Paradise, MI. To make a long story short, as I was riding on no particular route on the back road twisties, I discovered myself close to a friend's house that I haven't seen in over 10 years. So I pulled off the road and called him on my cell phone to get directions to the house.

As I was finishing up the call and putting the phone back in the tank bag, 3 guys on Harley's pulled up and asked if I needed any help. My first thought was, "This is great! Motorcyclist camaraderie! It doesn't get any better!" I had scarcely gotten the words out of my mouth, "thanks, but I was just finishing up a phone call," when I heard all 3 in unison say, "You mean that thing doesn't have a built in phone?" I told them no, but that I was getting the porta-potty factory option installed in the spring.

I then have to endure the good hearted ribbing about my luxury machine verses their "real" bikes with no windshields, radios...or shocks! They were all hardtails. I asked them how far they had ridden so far. They said that they had gone about 60 miles north for a lunch ride and were almost home.

Of course, I got more ribbing when I told them that I was on mile 420 for the day with about 150 left to go. I guess that just getting too old to be shaken up on a hardtail. Lord, I love this bike!

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
They said that they had gone about 60 miles north for a lunch ride and were almost home.
Wow! They rode a whole 60 miles...!!! Was that round trip or each way???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 1:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
Yesterday, I went for a little lunch ride from Detroit to Paradise, MI.
I just Mapquested that for shits 'n giggles... "little lunch ride" actually means 10 hour, 700 mile day - wow!
I bet you missed the game? In case you hadn't heard... Favre shlobberknocked the Lions for 340 yards, 3 TDs, and the win. I'm actually a Bears fan, but I live in Wisc and love Favre and root for the Pack when they don't play the Bears.

Anyway, great story! I have to smile when I pass guys in the rain on my bike. So often it's the Harleys with no windshield and I think to myself "great rain protection." I saw one guy riding through darn near hail with no windshield or helmet on! Don't worry about looking cool, buddy - you look more stupid without those things.

I stopped at an Interstate rest stop during a bad storm. 2 guys in Orange & Black Leather Harley coats walk in. I later saw their Sportsters in the parking lot. One says, "You lettin this storm pass over? Pretty bad out there." ... "Nahhh, I just had to go to the bathroom." Walked back out in the rain and sped off.

Ryan - Motorradmitfahrer Maximus & Forumus Noobus sometimes
2003 K12LTC dressed in Black - "StratoCruiser"
Madison, WI
"where are the controls for the air conditioner on that bike?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Ultimate Riding Machine

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhammetter
I just Mapquested that for shits 'n giggles... "little lunch ride" actually means 10 hour, 700 mile day - wow!
I didn't make it all the way back home. Stayed the night at my Dad's place and did the last 100 miles early Sunday morning.

Quote:
...shlobberknocked the Lions...
Are you refering to the 'team' that plays in Ford Field? I didn't even know their name!!!

Quote:
Don't worry about looking cool, buddy - you look more stupid without those things.
I guess some people would rather look 'cool' than be warm, dry, and safe(r) I am an ATGATT kind of guy.

Quote:
One says, "You lettin this storm pass over? Pretty bad out there." ... "Nahhh, I just had to go to the bathroom." Walked back out in the rain and sped off.
Hey, ya don't get wet if ya keep moving...and stay away from Semi trucks!

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Wow! They rode a whole 60 miles...!!! Was that round trip or each way???
YOU try riding 60 miles on a hardtail! THEN you can make fun of them!
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
Used to ride very old bikes (FN250) with a tractor like seat, no suspensions to speak of, hand shifter, and hand adjusted timing.

Way cool, and when we had rallies we did (relatively) long distance runs. Paris-Lyon round trip in one day on secondary roads. Not the most comfortable, and the only wind protection was provided by our Cromwell helmets and goggles. But we had fun!!! No attitude or tats required... although some chose to.
So I can say...
"Wow! They rode a whole 60 miles...!!! Was that round trip or each way???"
and have fun with it.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 7 Old Sep 26th, 2006, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat_n_Telle
60 miles on a hard tail for me and my kidneys would give out and I'd be peeing blood! Like I said...I'm getting too old for that kind of punishment. I'll take my LT over anything for riding comfort.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in