Me Too - where's my pin? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:06 am Thread Starter

Cool Me Too - where's my pin?

Pulled into the parking lot this morning. Went to whip a u-turn into the motorcycle parking area....and, well, you know the rest. Front end slid just a bit on the wet metal kickstand plates and that sinking feeling suddenly overcame me.

Wasn't a drop as much as a gentle lay over. I did the normal reaction and fought to hold it up but realized we were stuck in a tie and time was on gravity's side so I gently let it rest on the right jpeg, then did the most important thing - look around to make sure nobody has seen this!!!

Luckily, it was a brisk morning and the union folks had moved their day-long coffee break/traffic watching activities inside so nobody was watching as I hopped to one side and with my butt on the seat, walked it inch by inch back upright.

No damage, other than my pride.

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 8:37 am

Welcome !

To the club.

The thing about dropping the is you can get a real feeling of accomplishment when you sucessfully pick it up...

Not everyone is capable of that feat my friend...

Later

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 9:25 am

Mine went over in May coming home from a rally. There were four of us and my bike went down like yours, almost from a complete stop. I knew that I made a mistake with the front brake and just let it go as I stepped off. My buddies came running over and I told them to wait as I tried to pick it up the way I read here. Well too many knee sugeries have taken a toll on me. I had to get help. Now I know that if I am by myself and stop for gas, I am going to have to ask for help from the 17 year old girl with the blue and orange hair behind the counter to give me a hand.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:58 am

Glad you weren't injured and your bike is undamaged.

You dropped an LT? How in the world could that have happened?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #5 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:48 am Thread Starter

Wink

Nobody saw it. Heresay evidence! My confession was made under duress! You can't prove anything!

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #6 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 3:15 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile There, that wasn't so bad, was it.

Integrity is when you do the right thing, even though you know no one is watching.
Currently on number 5, ( but I don't count 2, honest! )
First time had to reposition my butt, just so, against the seat. Helped heaps.
As I said in an earlier post, even if I had to lift her up every day, I still love riding the LT.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #7 of 7 Old Sep 25th, 2006, 3:29 pm

Smile At a boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch102
Pulled into the parking lot this morning. Went to whip a u-turn into the motorcycle parking area....and, well, you know the rest. Front end slid just a bit on the wet metal kickstand plates and that sinking feeling suddenly overcame me.

Wasn't a drop as much as a gentle lay over. I did the normal reaction and fought to hold it up but realized we were stuck in a tie and time was on gravity's side so I gently let it rest on the right jpeg, then did the most important thing - look around to make sure nobody has seen this!!!

Luckily, it was a brisk morning and the union folks had moved their day-long coffee break/traffic watching activities inside so nobody was watching as I hopped to one side and with my butt on the seat, walked it inch by inch back upright.

No damage, other than my pride.
Burt,
Sorry to hear about your delimma, but I had to chuckle a little as I read your post. Since I've met with you, and I know how big you are(compared to me, anyway) I'm surprised at the drop.

I sure hope the XL Jpegs didn't punch a hole in your right side panel right under the tip over bar.

As I told you when we met in Indy that both sides of my bike are scarred with a small hole.

Knock on wood, for it's been several months since I went down in the driveway gravel.

Heading to Chicago next week with the SO, so hope all goes well.

Glad to hear you're RIDING!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in