Battery Questions. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By want2tour
  • 1 Post By Jim_McG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 7:23 am Thread Starter

Battery Questions.

Ok I know about every question about replacing a battery in an 01 K1200LT has been asked. With that said I have a question or two. I have heard that when you replace a battery you need to stay with a gel type. Now I have seen that a lot of people are putting in a Oddessy PC680. Am I mistaken in what I have heard and is the PC680 a good replacement for the battery? also is there anything special you need to do, or is it just take out the old and put in the new? Thanks for all the help we are able to get on here...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 6:59 pm

Re: Battery Questions.

Im going on three years with odyssey. Four if you count storage before installation. Seems to be good still. Almost always on a tender. Good luck

post #3 of 11 Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 8:27 pm

Same here, 3 years on mine. I keep it on a tender all the time. The old flooded 6 year old battery was dead when I bought the bike so the PO went and bought a PC680 so it would run when I got there. It has been a good battery. We changed out the old one together and I rode it off that day.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #4 of 11 Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 10:30 pm

I've got 9 years on the Odyssey battery for my RT. It still cranks OK but feel I was pushing my luck.
post #5 of 11 Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 11:18 pm

Get the Odyssey. The gel type was use by BMW for awhile and there were many problems with them. Do not use one. An AGM type is what you need and the 680 is a good battery. Get the right angle terminals too.
http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-PC680-...=pc680+battery

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #6 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 12:04 am

Had PC380 in my previous 2000 LT, have one in my current 02 LT, since summer and while on travel, let battery run down over a 3wk period. too low for Tender to get it back up. took to local polaris shop and charlie brought it back to life. looks good again. this battery installed Oct 2012....

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #7 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 1:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount View Post
Had PC380 in my previous 2000 LT, have one in my current 02 LT, since summer and while on travel, let battery run down over a 3wk period. too low for Tender to get it back up. took to local polaris shop and charlie brought it back to life. looks good again. this battery installed Oct 2012....
Have you considered getting a diagnostic, desulfating battery tender like the Optimate 4. Has a battery "save" mode if batt is in trouble before going to charge/maintenance mode. In save mode, as I understand it, 2 different programs of pulse charging to desulfate the batt and bring it back if it can. Diagnostic indication if it can't hold a charge. Watched it go thru it's program(s) to bring back my failing saab battery. Now moving it from bike to bike to give the batts their best chance for more years of service. After a week of chg on each batt, the batts go back to their usual battery tender. I spent about $89, but then found someone selling at $75 later. I bought the wunderlicht edition, though I'm not sure if there are less sophisticated units out there or they're all the same. Works on multiple battery types and has a way of switching to a CANbus program.
my .02
Bob
beech likes this.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #8 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 8:23 am

I got this PC680 in 2013 at Batteries Plus after the BMW gel cell started to run down a little.
They are a little Spendy...However I believe that you get what you pay for around 98% of the time.

Look closely at the top of the battery & you'll see that it tells you the torque for the terminals. 50 inch pounds!

Also notice that you don't necessarily need the 90 Deg connection adapters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02162.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	98386  

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #9 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 10:42 am

I decided on a Scorpion YT51913-22 AGM battery I found here:
https://www.batterystuff.com/powersp...T51913-22.html
It gets good reviews and will fit the LT with no mods. I picked it over the Odyssey PC680 since it is 255CCA / 22 A-h versus 170CCA / 18A-h and it is cheaper. I was surprised by a label on the top of the battery that recommended a quick charge at 18A for 30 minutes. I always thought these batteries shouldn't be charged at more than 1.5 - 2 A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1471.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	540.2 KB
ID:	98394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1473.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	98402  
garage monster likes this.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 10:48 am

I'm with Bob, the Optimate charger is superior. I also have the 6 amp version for car batteries. I just don't mention it because most folks say "my $30 battery tender works great", in many cases they don't give you all the benefits that one could get by stepping up the game some.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
Have you considered getting a diagnostic, desulfating battery tender like the Optimate 4. Has a battery "save" mode if batt is in trouble before going to charge/maintenance mode. In save mode, as I understand it, 2 different programs of pulse charging to desulfate the batt and bring it back if it can. Diagnostic indication if it can't hold a charge. Watched it go thru it's program(s) to bring back my failing saab battery.
Bob
That is exactly what Charlie did for me at his shop. Battery back in bike now and all is well... Will not allow it to discharge to 0 V again..

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in