Final Drive may need rebuild - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By mcracer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 8:51 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Final Drive may need rebuild

Well I have dug down as deep as the center stand in my clutch repair and something I noticed is a lot of dry grime around the final drive when I removed the wheel and brake. When the disc was pulled, there was a small oily sheen around the seal. The bad news is that I stored the bike at the local Milwaukee BMW dealer and they changed the oil in the final drive before they called to tell me about the transmission leak! So I did not see the magnetic plug or what the oil looked like. Do I need to find some one to rebuild my final drive? Who should I contact? When I joined I did not have a photo of "my" bike but here is one that I took today. Pretty, ain't she. ( I think it attached )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0728.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	956.2 KB
ID:	98250  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 10:02 pm

Re: Final Drive may need rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheezNbeer View Post
Well I have dug down as deep as the center stand in my clutch repair and something I noticed is a lot of dry grime around the final drive when I removed the wheel and brake. When the disc was pulled, there was a small oily sheen around the seal. The bad news is that I stored the bike at the local Milwaukee BMW dealer and they changed the oil in the final drive before they called to tell me about the transmission leak! So I did not see the magnetic plug or what the oil looked like. Do I need to find some one to rebuild my final drive? Who should I contact? When I joined I did not have a photo of "my" bike but here is one that I took today. Pretty, ain't she. ( I think it attached )
Gary, the only ways to tell a FD crown bearing is bad before it self destructs is if it has metal bits on the plug, play in the wheel or to pull it apart and inspect but you would have to know what to look for if it was in the beginning stages. The seals are pretty good so if you are getting leaking around it under the disk, the bearing may be deteriorating and isn't being held in the center of rotation. Seal could just be leaking too. It may not be bad off but without someone looking at to know for sure, I would put it back on and check for play. If there is none, ride it for awhile and then check the plug again.

If you are concerned about it, Saddleman is the guy for rebuilds.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 7:13 am

If you need a final drive rebuilt. You want Dave(Saddleman) to do it.. He does them right.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 2:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
If you need a final drive rebuilt. You want Dave(Saddleman) to do it.. He does them right.
A big +1

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 6:59 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I pm'ed Saddleman. I discovered another leak at the input seal, not much oil there but some is to much. While flipping though the factory manual, I found a receipt from a previous owner dated 7/12/05 with a notation that the final drive was seeping. It was in for its' 24000 mile service. I bought it in 2014 with 33000 miles from a different party, looks like folks have been kickin' this one down the road for a while. Well I going to fix her and keep her, this is an amazing ride!
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 7:46 pm

Garage

+1 on the Amazing Ride! I picked-up a Y2K LT last month after looking at my options for almost a year. I'm in the middle of a clutch inspection and main seal replacement. Found my Crank Case Breather had the normal failure and had to go back to the parts bin (again). I noticed some dirt and grime behind the Throttle Bodies and wasn't concerned when I bought her, now I'll set things right and ride on. I see why the re-sale values are so low. If I had to pay for the work I'm doing in my garage Several Thousand in labor alone! Overall I'm more than impressed with the storehouse of knowledge on this site. Looking forward to miles and miles of fun. Lord Willing.
bmwcoolk1200 and CheezNbeer like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in